Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PC Demo out!

10 posts in this topic

And damn it... you messed it up again Milestone.  Looked like it has so much potential with the volume of content they're including.  I really hope they patch these problems (and likely a few others)...

1) Nothing but 16:9 resolutions, maxing out at 1920x1080.  No ultra wide screen (21:9) support, no surround/eyefinity support.  On top of that no FOV or in-car camera adjustments.

2) Terrible performance/optimization.  Lots of people with GTX 970/980's (high end cards) reporting unstable framerates... and not being able to stay around 60 fps at higher settings.  Also visual settings really haven't changed from the other Milestone games... still fairly limited in options, and all from the game launcher (need to exit to make changes).

3) No support for multiple controllers.  Won't detect my CSR Elite pedals when plugged in separately via USB (will try tonight with the old connector via wheel base).  Won't detect my TH8A shifter (separate USB) for analog handbrake (analog mode) or digital handbrake (sequential shifter mode) or shifting of any form (h-pattern or sequential).

• Also hearing lots of people mentioning issues with either requiring split/shared axis for the main pedals.  And some people having issues with soft lock wheel rotation support.

4) No mouse support in menus.

The lucky few who are playing it says it feels really good and the stage provided (Monte Carlo for PC) is really nice.  Really hope they fix this... but I won't purchase until I hear further news.  Guess I'll stick with DiRT Rally and keep my excitement up for playing American Truck Simulator in about 2 weeks time.

On another silly note of failure from Milestone... ReadMe.txt in the install folder = "MotoGP™14 ReadMe File".

I couldn't even get started in a rally. Soon as the car moves it turns fully left. Went back in to redo the controls, still the same. Also had the same issues with extra USB controllers, wouldn't detect my sequential shifter and handbrake.
Feels weird running one screen again too. Very claustrophobic.

Not impressed with this demo at all.

A streamer that I watch on a regular basis, and race with often, tried the demo out last night live on his stream. He is using an unmodded G27 and could not get it to work. He also tried a very common Xbox One controller, that would not work properly either. Take a look for yourself in his stream from last night (starting at the 3 hour 10 minute mark). The Angry Hamster is fun to watch and chat with. Come hang out with us sometime.

https://www.twitch.tv/the_angry_hamster/v/36814263

wasted an hour on this last night. I flashed back to WRC4 during setup. Never did get my controls working right. Had the same problem as Mark_McQ and full left turn. seems I could get either steering to work or pedals, not both at the same time. And I have a measly G27 - if a game in 2016 cant get that setup to work out of the box then there is no hope for them.

I reckon i'll only end up getting this if it gets the kind of reviews that dirt rally had in the sim racing community when the early access was released,,,

Judging by peoples reactions up to now,,Apart from the content it seems like the full release version of this isn't going to be as advanced as the early access release from Dirt Rally ,,,,

Managed to fix the steering issue. You have to go into the wheel settings on the controls config and turn off the auto-angle setting. This gives you a slider to manually set the degrees.

Played a stage and the graphics are nice, but the game has stuttering. I thought I was getting a shitty frame rate at first, but it's around 84FPS. Plus the game commits the one cardinal sin of any racing game - the brake pedal is linked to reverse gear. If you shift into reverse, you CANNOT use the accelerator or the car shifts up into 1st and goes forward. You have to use the brake.
What a waste of a license. Codemasters should've gotten Loeb on board and made Dirt Rally his signature game.

So I finally got to try it. I found my pedal cables and plugged them (CSR Elites) directly in to my Fanatec GT3 RS V2 wheel base. It detected my wheel and pedals... however. If I remapped my wheel axis, it would incorrectly map and my car would be always turning left once I start to drive. If I ignored mapping my wheel axis, it would work just fine. I tried it with automatic wheel rotation, and my wheel set to OFF to allow the game to determine this (to maximum of the 900 degrees supported by the hardware).

Still no action for my TH8A shifter (as a separte USB device) to map as my handbrake, analog or digital (sequential mode).

Visuals in game are blah at best in my books... though the detail in the stages (not textures however) appear to be good.  But It's hard to believe that at 1920x1080 I'm having to heavily lower settings to keep 60 fps. DiRT Rally gives me 5760x1080 on medium/high settings at 60fps on my GTX 970 + i5-3570k. It's really hard for me to considering purchasing this game if there's no triple screen support (and performance remains like this, which would be tough to get 30 fps on triples)... a feature that is a must for me on racing games (where I use a wheel).

Control feels, ok. I don't feel connection to the car or road via force feedback. Handbrake (even with maxed settings in car configuration) doesn't feel like it's doing much (maybe I need to hold it longer/earlier). Wheel rotation feels a bit much (loose/sloppy) in the Mini... and just OK in the Peugot and Citron. With this it's hard to get a real feeling or impression for the physics engine. However I can say it appears they were going for realism, more so than their prior titles and the current Kylotonn WRC 5 game.

Might give it another go... but this won't be a day one purchase for me, like I though it originally was. Cause even with the blah feeling above, this game appears that it will have a great volume of decent quality content (rally-x tracks, rally stages and cars). It's too bad. Will continue to wait for patch news.

EDIT: Decided to reinstall WRC 5... man they've made some improvements since launch.  Triple Screen works, able to detect wheel/pedals/shifter as separate devices, including able to use shifter in sequential as handbrake.  Just need Kylotonn to add analog hand brake support and real FOV view adjustments, and I'd be really happy with this as some (arcade style) rally fun.

8 hours ago, pben1 said:

why does Milestone make PC versions when clearly they are console devs.

Cause we'd also complain if they didn't try.  It's a lose-lose situation for them it seems.  Another item is that publishing PC (Steam) version worldwide is much easier... most of their titles almost never reach NA shelves, and only recently started appearing on XBL/PSN stores.

3 minutes ago, DjFIL said:

Cause we'd also complain if they didn't try.  It's a lose-lose situation for them it seems.  Another item is that publishing PC (Steam) version worldwide is much easier... most of their titles almost never reach NA shelves, and only recently started appearing on XBL/PSN stores.

I agree with you it's just a shame they don't get it right some times