Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Test Drive Unlimited 2

14 posts in this topic

The good:

--looks nice, even on 360

--force feedback is improved from the last one IMO

--I like the structure of the game, it's a little different, but slower to get started with

--day/night progressions is a very welcome addition, as is the rain and wet streets

--the first championship is fast to get into, it's not just a single race, and it shows you some places on the map during the races. You can skip from race to race immeiiately without having to drive to the starting points.

The bad:

--the shifting is DRIVING ME CRAZY. It's so slow to shift on manual that I think the paddle didn't register so I hit it again and end up lazily shifting 2 gears. Have to throw it in reverse? It's like pulling teeth to get this thing to change to "R", not to mention going back to a forward gear again. It's like no matter what's going on you shift like it's a leisurely drive through the countryside, and you're down to 1 gallon gas and need to make the most of it. There's NOTHING spirited about this driving.

--sense of speed is NIL, but admittedly this is on the intro car (the Lancia).

Maybe later cars will feel better, but right now it's killing the game for me.

I'd really like to hear from ISR if you guys review both console and pc versions of the game. If the shifting is better on the pc I'll end up with it on there. As it is, once friends move on from this thing I'm trading it in.

Had a chance to drive an Audi R8 before Live shut down tonight, the shifting was more what you would expect. Guess it's a matter of getting into a nicer car. Sense of speed still wasn't really there, but had some fun with the game tonight. Seems much slower to discover dealerships than in the last game though.

Thought the controller would be the way to go in this game, but I was pleasantly surprised that the Fanatec Turbo S is fully compatible. I had an odd FFB issue though on anything other than "default". Centering force seemed way too hard and jittery. Works fine now. I thought shifting wasn't bad and full clutch support is nice. You can even get around on foot with the wheel. I agree with you on the dealerships. It's a bit slower on discovery than the last game. Don't like the whole storyline thing also, facial animations and overall models are too goofy lookin' for me to take seriously (was that supposed to be a real chihuahua or a porcelain mockup?). Anyways thought some settings for the wheel might interest some folks:

-Game settings

FFB to default

All Linearity all the way down

Turbo S

Deg 540-360

Fffb 100

Abs 0

Sho 0

Drift 0-3

Lin 0

Dea 0

Spr 0

I bought this and haven't had enough time with it to form a honest opinion.

Using a G25, the thing has a massive dead zone when driving, might be able to get rid of that in the Logitech profiler software. Also as mentioned, so far, too much animated story crap, not enough meat and many annoyances like while driving to the first place on the GPS, too many phone calls to go to other places, too many distractions.

So far, from what I've seen, I think I liked the original TDU better. Time will tell if I'll start enjoying this game but at this moment, I feel I wasted $40.00 (on Steam).

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Happy Birthday Defcon ! Saw it on the board index..

We'd love to comment on it, but Atari and their PR company here in the states don't think that we're worthy.. lol..

Actually, I think they're worried we'll beat it up since it's not a sim..

We supposedly have a copy in route, but Im not holding my breath..

Thanks Darin, the big 4-0 today. :?

No clutch on the 360.

I'm thinking this is not much of a new game from the original, mainly the original with some tweaks and new environment. Hawaii is in here too though apparently. On console, the wheel support was an afterthought, added with a patch. It just didn't feel very good. Now it's much better, which results in far fewer police chases. Going through the challenges/championships shows you where a lot of dealerships etc are.

The problem is that, IMO, this is ok as a casual single player game, but it will get old. MP is where the fun comes in, cruising around with friends. The problem is that, like in the first game, getting everyone in your group onto the same server is a major PAIN, sometimes simply impossible. When you do manage to get together (done through invites at start button menu, then players) you need to "lock" players into your group. If you don't, when you get some distance between you the servers switch and you're separated again. We tried starting a club to see if that would help, but got the same "TDU server unavailable" error. I suspect that's a generic error message, but the fact is you see it a LOT.

There are a lot more cars than on the released car list a few weeks back. Like the last game, they get around the Porsche license by including RUF 911's. They weren't on the car list, but there are 3-4 of them. Not nearly as many cars as before (from what I've seen) and acquisition is much slower. Again, the driving is better, and the day/night/weather is nice, but somehow the game has lost much of the novelty this go around.

If Off-Road Drive sees fit to release here in the US, I may make the switch and trade this one in, depending on if friends are still on it--which I doubt with the server errors. ORD may be a more fun casual game if it boils down to just SP.

I didn't even think about the Fanatec's clutch. Maybe they'll fix that, along with a LONG list of patches this thing needs.

2 days in a row I've tried to hop on during the day and couldn't. Game starts, choose storage device...stops there at some scenic view. I assume the game has to log onto the servers even before you can do single player. So, in this state you can't play *at all*. Last night it did come back, but we could only get a few of us together on the same server to ride together. Spending that long trying just to get together pretty much ruins the game.

I think this game has a very short amount of time to get this right before it's just not worth bothering with anymore. The Atari forum also mentioned they took the club function out for now.

A lot of issues for a game that seems to mostly be an updated version of the last one. Some familiar problems cropping up again that shouldn't be here after all of this time.

A real shame since the driving itself is so much better this time around.

Been playing this a bit on PS3 with my G27. At first I was pretty sourly disappointed with the game. Never played the first one so I had no idea what to expect... The handling on my old school Mustang is near uncontrollable and the graphic quality still seems to be VERY inconsistent (quality wise) between different cars, characters , and objects. The world usually looks very nice and some of the cars I'd put on par with the standard model cars on GT5 (pretty decent) but some of them, especially random cars driving around the world look HORRIBLE, 2 on 1-10 scale.

After putting in a few hours and trying some other cars out and checking out some various features the game began to grow on me, and I found out that the Mustang is just an old school handling car, and sports cars and such handle like they should. Also, turning on the assists I usually never run for any game made a nice difference in fun factor at first. For a newcomer to the series it seems like the type of game that you need to play a little and get into. Once you tune out the sometimes sub-par visuals and progress a bit through the game, unlock some new cars it becomes much much more fun.

NOBODY on my PSN friend list out of 70+ people has this game, ever mentioned it or even cares about it! I need some friends to play this with... Anyone out there have a headset and playing this on PS3 feel free to shoot me a request (or GT5 players also!). My PSN is same as here, SCORPiON5150.

Ive been playing this on the PC for a few hours now and im addicted to it :)

I played the first one to death, so i was kinda excited for this one, even though when i first started playing i became pretty pissed off by the wierd controlls but after some tweeking and fiddeling in the controls menu i like it.

Only thing that i have to say right now that is sort of negative is that the FFB is kinda weak (or i have not set it up correct yet).

In my opinion the first TDU was way better (for its time). The map was just amazing and the cars where awesome, menu was simple and the storyline was minimal. The character did not have a single line in the entire game if im not mistaken. I played that game on the xbox with a hand controller, that is maybe one of the reasons why I thought it was better.

It feels as the new game have the same engine but have added offroad which is not good at all and the vehicles are even worse. Their best bet would have been to update the physics and feel of the cars.. Still a fun game but it is hard to love it and after a race or so you do not really want to continue.. With the first game I drove around the entire Island just because of the fun of it and could be cruising for hours.