Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shift 2 Unleashed Developer Interview

9 posts in this topic

Check out this Jessica Lopez interview with Jesse Abney the Producer for Need For Speed Shift 2 Unleashed. They talk in detail about Shift 2 and its gravitation towards a full blown racing sim. Also Included is SHaun and Jessicas opinion of the game after getting a chance to play a very early version of it on the Fanatec GT2 wheel.

That was very good Darin, thank you guys. My anticipation has grown stronger for Shift 2.

I just started playing Shift 1 for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it seems I couldn't have picked a better time to start playing it. I'm currently at Tier 4 and working my way through the career campaign. The career mode in this game is nothing short of SUPERB in terms of presentation and gameplay variety! It offers more enjoyment than any other racing game offline that I've played a long while *INCLUDING* F1 2010, GT5, Dirt 2 and GRID. I'm not kidding. It's that fun! The sense of speed is amazing, the force feedback, especially with my ECCI 7000 wheel is sublime, and most importantly, the feeling and sense of actual RACING other cars is second to none!

I'm sorry to say, but if the career mode in Shift 1 is any indication of what we can expect from the sequel, then Gran Turismo's current reign as the premier racing game is in VERY serious jeopardy. The throne *will* be replaced very soon, gentlemen! :shock:

I'm hoping for a drastic improvement in the career mode myself. I want to stick to a form of traditional racing, not get silly drifting and battles forced in.

That said, great interview! Unfortunate they didn't get pit stops in there, but the rest sounds promising. Jessica had good questions and Jesse was very forthcoming with answers. Glad to hear they have day to night progression in endurance races. Something I love to do in GTL is crank up the day/night speed so I get to run a race in both environments. I wish more games would do this. Sounded like for MP it's either day OR night, not progression, but maybe that will be in there in the end.

Side note: noticed that the show production quality has really skyrocketed. Good job!

Quick question. How do you do long day to night endurance races with out pits stops. Maybe we all will be driving tanker trucks and have iron bladders :lol: .

Darin,

One thing that wasnt brought up were the graphics at all. I know they arent complete but does it look like just another shift with new features or can you tell the graphics are better? Is it still that odd sepia filter and did the backdrops have all the extras the real tracks didnt have? Did you get a chance to watch replays, is it still as 2nd tier vs gt5 as shift was as far as creative camera angles? Sorry...I really liked shift but there were some things that just got under my skin and I was wondering if you can remember on those details?

Darin,

One thing that wasnt brought up were the graphics at all. I know they arent complete but does it look like just another shift with new features or can you tell the graphics are better? Is it still that odd sepia filter and did the backdrops have all the extras the real tracks didnt have? Did you get a chance to watch replays, is it still as 2nd tier vs gt5 as shift was as far as creative camera angles? Sorry...I really liked shift but there were some things that just got under my skin and I was wondering if you can remember on those details?

Sorry, I wasn't there for this interview. It honestly looks a lot like the original based on the videos I've seen.

Thanks.

I didnt think you went on the journey but I had to ask just in case you secretly did. Guess I could ask Jess if she remembers...or I could act like a grownup and just wait ;-)

This is such a bummer. I wish companies that had the ability to invest money and make great games with things like full damage models would give credit to people and create a simulation game.

They sit there and talk about creating a sim racing game that is supposed to have authentic racing in it, but no pit stops, no flags, but oh wait, we've got a full damage model! Sorry, but that just means if you try to go online you are GUARANTEED that you will get rammed off track and people will just downright race rude. Maybe a stupid comment since this does seem to be the case on consoles, but it's just sad that they make great graphics, lots of cars, different racing styles, and it has potential to be a great game, but then they totally drop the ball on some of the most basic elements of "authentic racing."