Still worth while?
9 9

7 posts in this topic

I don't think it'll feel too old.  My concern is the limited volume of content and being currently closed to mods (for extra tracks and cars).  Fingers crossed that development continues and we get more content soon.

Thread bump:

I recently picked up a Logitech G920 and downloaded LFS (free demo at the moment). Little did I realize that I had played the game years ago in college with the free demo. Back then I tried it with a mouse and keyboard and gave up fairly quickly. 

First impressions back in the game with a wheel setup...its a night and day difference. I need to tweak the wheel settings a bit and probably mod the pedals but the overall gameplay and the physics are fantastic. I would definitely recommend the free demo to start gaining experience with racing sims and then move on from there. 

Long time flight simmer and just recently dipped my toes into this genre.  I've only tried 3 of the titles, RaceRoom, Project Cars 2 and Live for Speed.

LFS' graphics aren't extremely impressive but this doesn't matter that much to me.  The sim itself is way more enjoyable to me to "drive" than the other two.

I find it a bit sad that what would be hands down the best of the three (with more robust continued development) seems to have, for the most part, gone dormant.  It happens.  I just wish it hadn't happened here.

I know i am replying to an old post but what i have to say is relevant to this topic, i have raced LFS now for 10 years and with 135629 laps i still enjoy the racing, how many sims can last 17 years even with the previous lack of development which has over the past year or two increased. Rockingham has been released and few tracks have been updated both graphically and physically, they are working on a day to night transistion. For racing our demo servers get the most used but when we hold our weekly events s2 races they have full grids of 40 racers and see daily that once a few racers get onto the s2 servers they soon fill.

I race on assetto corsa and project cars and yes they have more content and are graphically better but both lack the feel of realism when driving hence why i race on LFS a lot more, When speaking to new racers daily i have gathered that LFS's strength is actually also its weakness, and that is the realism of the effects that the setups make, nobody really feels good to drive and a car keep losing losing control on sharp corners or when oversteering or understeering yet in reality we find that if even the seasoned racers jump into a race car we will come off the track or lose control the same way so, many give up but all it takes is finding the setup and learning the braking points ect.  With VR i can swear LFS is the best experience with the best implementation of VR

Regarding those that want more high resolution textures on the older tracks that are waiting to be reworked, their are higher res textures made for most of them on LFSFORUM and even then it is very easy to make your own textures for any of the tracks using DDS files

please look at the attached real life vs LFS comparison of rockingham that has been released

best of luck

bish(Mrc)

realvsgame.jpg

Edited by bishtop