DIY - Open Wheel Cockpit - Lotus 49
4 4

24 posts in this topic

So excited to see this the other day Steve, I've been dying to try your original F1 build... the vintage style has me even more excited.

Hitman's Tyrrel is a dead knockout for sure. Also we shouldn't forget Dede's Classic F1 sim, it's a big part of the inspiration for Colin's build.

The Ferrari 312B2 will be our goal, a little more cockpit room and we're both suckers for Ferrari. 

So cool, you share your designs with the communnity Steve, I hope someone digs into this Lotus design and gives it a try!

Always happy to share ideas and concepts. Until I get back on my feet again, 3D cad modeling is the only way to enjoy this hobby...

I'm going to adapt the simple seating style from my F1 rig and use it in this Lotus to keep the costs down...

Thank you Kevin, your correct credit also goes to Dede, for posting his Classic rig. I have been hunting for this thread for days, but could not find it until you  posted his name tonight.

Edited by SteveS

Thanks Steve.

Kevin and I will hopefully be starting our 312B2 over the Christmas Break.  I would love to have the full noose but I don't have the room for it in the manland.  

Which cad program do you use Steve?  

Thanks

Colin

Edited by Gonzo007

13 minutes ago, Gonzo007 said:

Thanks Steve.

Kevin and I will hopefully be starting our 312B2 over the Christmas Break.  I would love to have the full noose but I don't have the room for hit in the manland.  

Which cad program do you use Steve?  

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin

Do you have any side, top & front elevations for the Ferrari 312B2? I could only find side & top elevations...

I'm happy to create another 3D model for this. The Lotus will be tricky to build around the cockpit opening with the complex curves, the Ferrari will be much easier because the top surface is flatter.

I use normally use SolidWorks, but also have access to AutoStudio which is used in the automotive industry for styling cars. It was my pleasure to work in the AutoStudio development team for over 15 years. SolidWorks is more limited in complex surfacing but perfect for most engineering projects.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Thank you TSFC... I think this would make an awesome open wheel rig

It's a pity there is not a sim racer in Ontario who wants to build this... I would make my workshop available to anyone who wants to build this fun project.

Edited by SteveS

On 12/17/2015 at 7:32 PM, SteveS said:

Thank you TSFC... I think this would make an awesome open wheel rig

It's a petty there is not a sim racer in Ontario who wants to build this... I would make my workshop available to anyone who wants to build this fun project.

5000km closer and you wouldn't get rid of us!!

Funny Kevin; you, Uncle & Bailey have all said you would enjoy building something together... Very sad the ISRTV DIY sim folks are all so far away!

We run a bed & breakfast, so we can even offer a bed & sim racing setup for a fun workshop weekend in the 30,000 islands region of Ontario!

6 hours ago, SteveS said:

Funny Kevin; you, Uncle & Bailey have all said you would enjoy building something together... Very sad the ISRTV DIY sim folks are all so far away!

We run a bed & breakfast, so we can even offer a bed & sim racing setup for a fun workshop weekend in the 30,000 islands region of Ontario!

That'd be rad... not sure if we'd get much done but it'd be fun would't it?

Started building my first rig a few months ago, inspired by this thread and the love of the lotus 49.

I have used dimensions and measurements from the original lotus 49 and adapted slightly to accommodate the steering wheel and a slightly larger cockpit opening for easier access.

I am using the Logitech wheel and pedal set for now ( i would like to use a fanatec at some point in the future, to make the dash look more original)

Got about 40 hours work in it so far excluding any design work.

The trickiest part so far was building and trimming the seat as i have never built a seat before. I tried a go kart seat but it just wasn't right.

I have used mdf for the chassis sections as it is easy to work with, light and cheap enough. This is reinforced with strip wood and square section where needed.

All glued and screwed or pinned with brads. The air brad tool makes light work of the construction.  In hindsighti would have used plywood which is much stronger. I have started using some ply in the build as I am going on.

I'll post a few pics in it's current state and if anyone is interested I'll post up some of the build

Cheers paul

20181230_180609.jpg

20181230_180629.jpg

20181229_193932.jpg

20181230_120151.jpg

20181230_120201.jpg

I got the pedals sorted earlier in the week. Cut the front part off the plastic cover and mounted them onto a plywood base. Got the angle from trial and error but basically the middle of the pedals are straight up. Ideal when you are sat with legs straight out. Put in two ali channels to allow the pedal assembly to move back and forward to accommodate other drivers.

20190101_192652.jpg

20190101_192704.jpg