8020 - Super Sport Evolution Rig
8 8

109 posts in this topic

Thank you guys, amazing what you can do when it's hard to move around and not go into the workshop.

SebJ, it's funny I wish I had thought of this years ago, now I want to replace my own rig! Maybe it's time to sell my original...

By modifying two of the mounting plates it's easy to integrate triple screen into the design.

8020-Revolution7.JPG

8020-Revolution8.JPG

8020-Revolution9.JPG

Edited by SteveS

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm in the process of deciding which way to go building a rig. I've been looking around for some suppliers of profile tubing here in Australia but haven't found any in my state just yet. I will have to get some quotes from interstate before deciding if i will go Aluminium profile or look at making my rig from mild steel. 

On 11/26/2015, 4:47:22, Mada said:

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm in the process of deciding which way to go building a rig. I've been looking around for some suppliers of profile tubing here in Australia but haven't found any in my state just yet. I will have to get some quotes from interstate before deciding if i will go Aluminium profile or look at making my rig from mild steel. 

Which state?

These guys were helpful when I enquired but a bit pricey: http://www.modularcomponents.com.au/

They sent me out a 200+ page catalogue which has everything you need, from memory you are looking @ $20-24AUD per L/Metre.

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, clevohead said:

Which state?

These guys were helpful when I enquired but a bit pricey: http://www.modularcomponents.com.au/

They sent me out a 200+ page catalogue which has everything you need, from memory you are looking @ $20-24AUD per L/Metre.

Hope this helps.

I'm in S.A.

I did email the guys you linked and they sent my some prices. I will have to work out the lengths i need so i can work out an exact price. 

Edited by Mada

Agree, 8020 builds start off looking just a little pricy when you look at just the cost of the extrusions, it's not until you add up all the connectors, bolts, t-slot nuts do you understand the real total.

The wonderful thing about 8020 is the flexibility to easily add or modify the position of the parts along the channel to get a perfect position. The second wonderful feature is anyone can build an 8020 rig with no power tools or DIY skills. 

I'm a metal worker by trade and woodworker as a serious hobbist, but love the look of 8020 rigs....

You can of course be more budget-oriented like me, and do a painfully long search and often trial and error process of finding exactly what you need, connectors/bolts/nuts are tricky, with a long delivery wait from China, using aliexpress or similar, like I do, but you probably only spend the 3rd of Steve's price on those, but you have to be also creative adapting the design to sometimes different solutions for various issues you'd encounter

Edited by frapster