Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rFactor 2 Triple Screen Support

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Does anyone in here know of a way to adjust bezels, etc in the UI in RFactor 2. We got a bunch of heat from viewers after the last show where we said rF2 didn't have native triple support. In our This week show comments section, some you tubers jumped on our case.. Matter of fact, here's a quote:

Not only rFactor 2 but rFactor 1 as well DO OFFER PROPER TRIPLE SCREEN SUPPORT! How do you guys not know this? I mean, come on!!! Just check my videos as there's plenty of rFactor 1 proper triple screen action there...

Someone also mentioned to press CTRL / + or - key to adjust and it brings up an FOV adjuster that does nothing while using multiview. 

Anyone?? help??

Thanks

Hi Darin.

As I said in the live show, they added full monitor support a few version ago.

You need to edit the INI files to do it but it supports monitor angles and bezels now. They will be adding it to the UI in the future

In the INI look for

SubViews=2
UseSubViewParams=1
ViewParams=(0.596, 0.335, 0.530, 60.000, 0.022) // screen width (m), screen height (m), eye distance (m), side angle (deg), bezel gap (m)
LeftView=(0.596, 0.335, 0.530, 60.000, 0.022)
RightView=(0.596, 0.335, 0.530, 60.000, 0.022)
WidescreenUI=1
WidescreenUIWidth=1920
WidescreenHUD=1

The ViewParams is where you set your screen width, height, eye distance, side monitor angle just like you would in Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

The Config.ini is in your rFactor2\userdata

rFactor 1 and GSCE on the other hand is a different story.

I would say that they do have proper triple monitor support but you have to build your rig around the mathematical algorithm they use to set the side monitor angle and use bezel correction in the Nvidia/AMD control panel.

Basically as long you follow the maths then the triple monitor support is perfect, you can't adjust it but if you build your rig properly and set the vFOV correctly and have your side monitor at the mathematically correct angle then it will be sweet. Most people don't know or car about the maths so they think the triple monitor support is broken. The fact is that their is one mathematically correct formula which you should use and that is what rFactor 1 uses. If you are not following that then you are fudging the numbers and it won't be perfect, Assetto Corsa, iRacing and rFactor 2 allows you to adjust your monitors if you are not using the mathematically correct placement but GSC and rFactor 1 require you to follow the maths.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 uses the same formula to do it's triple monitor angles also.

This is a quote from post about an article which falsely claimed rFactor 1's side monitors were locked to 45 degrees   

There is a common misconception when it comes to triple screens and rFactor 1 and GSCE.

For some reason people (This article included) for some reason think that these games are locked to a side monitor angle of 45 degrees.

This is not the case, it is based off your FOV, the higher your FOV the higher the side monitor angles will be.

For example, I run those games at 36 degrees of vFOV and that makes the side monitors render at 60 degrees, not the 45 degrees that people claim that it is locked to.

This give me a 60 degree hFOV on each screen so with my monitors at 60 degrees that gives me a total hFOV of 180 degrees

The side monitors angles in those games are set using a mathematical formula based on your FOV. Basically if you draw a perpendicular line from the centre of each screen then they will converge where your eyes are. The closer you get to the screen the bigger your FOV will be so the higher the side angle needs to be to keep the perpendicular lines converging where your eyes are.

To get 60 degrees on your side monitors then you need to be very close. I am 530mm from my screens. This is why most people think that it is locked to 45 degrees because at the distance most people have their monitors the side angles will be around 45 degrees.

Before when I had my monitors further away they were at a much smaller angle. I used to be at 740mm using a vFov of 26 and this did result in the side monitors being at 45 degrees but as you move closer to the screen then the side angle will increase and the further away you move the shallower the angle will be set to.

So the only way that you could have your side monitors "Locked" at 45 is if you want 26 degrees vFOV. If you say went down to 22 degrees then the side monitors would be at around 38 degrees and if you went up to 36 degrees vFOV then your side monitors would be rendered at 60 degrees.

I don't know why this isn't common knowledge. I couldn't find this anywhere on the internet, everywhere else I read falsely claims that it is "Locked" at 45 degrees

Here is a photo of GSCE at vFOV 26 rendering the side monitors at 45 degrees

IMG_0664_zpszcwuajf4.jpg

Now this is vFOV 36 and you can see that the side monitors are now rendering a 60 degrees (60 degrees side angles is hard to take photos but it looks perfect IRL)  

IMG_0802_zpseipwtx8m.jpg

IMG_0803_zpsjczwxcob.jpg

As long as you follow the maths while setting up your distance, angle and FOV then these games will automatically set the right side monitor angle. If you don't follow the maths then it will look really wrong, this is why a lot of people say that multiview doesn't look right in these games. This is because they aren't following the maths.

As an other side note. In the latest build of rFactor 2, they have added the ability to set you monitor size, distance and side angles just like in AC or iRacing. I tried it on mine and it looked exactly the same because I used maths to set my monitors up so I was following their mathematical formula anyway. But if your aren't using their formula then you can override it with what ever dimensions you are using.

FYI They added full triple monitor to rFactor 2 in build 982, then added some more features in 998.

Most people missed it because they didn't make a very big deal about it, there was just 2 lines in the change log (It always pays to read the change logs)

982 changes (Adding full monitor size, distance, bezel, angle support)

– Adjustment parameters for multiview are now available in config.ini. You must manually edit the values in this file until the in-game tool is available. You can revert to the original multiview method by setting UseSubViewParams to 0. Setting UseSubViewParams to 1 assumes a symmetric setup and will use the ViewParams for all viewports. Exit the sim, edit config.ini and restart for settings to take effect.

– Added multiview adjustments. Values in Config.ini, as well as parameter to disable new functionality (to retain use of older FOV options).

998 changes (Allowing different size side monitors, as far as I know this is the only sim that supports this)

– Expanded multiview adjustments to allow separate side channel settings
– Added multiview adjustment tool, toggle with ctrl-equal

26 minutes ago, Darin Gangi said:

My brain hurts now ;-)..  What are "the maths" ??

MATHS=Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

tumblr_mspke1mcaa1roid8vo1_1280.png

http://vimeo.com/13497928

But seriously, it is basic trigonometry. Basically if you take a perpendicular line from the centre of each screen they will all converge in one spot. This is where your eyes should be so all the screens are exactly the same distance to your eye and every screen is exactly perpendicular to your eye.

So then the close you move to the screen the steeper the angle need to be for that convergence to still be at your eye

The best way to work this out is to use a calculator like this one http://www.edracing.com/edr/FOV.php

If you type my numbers (596mm width and 530mm away from the screen) in to the "Triple Monitor seperate render FOV"

you get 58.69 degrees as the mathematically correct FOV, this is what rFactor or GSCE would use.

If I was further away like 700mm then it would come out at 46.12 degrees

It should just be crtl-equal

thats what works for me and what the release notes said.

it is a really good FOV configuration utility. It has quite a few features that most other sims don't have. For instance the little chain symbol next to the screen size lets you lock or unlock to the aspect ratio, so you and adjust the height and width independent if you needed to.

also if you click on the word "all" up the top then it will switch to an independent monitor mode that lets you adjust the side monitors independently, for example if you had a 21:9 monitor in the middle and 16:9 on the side monitors. You could even use a different size monitor for each screen and you could adjust the all seperately. 

It means that it could support some really wacky monitor configurations.

it isn't limited to 180 degrees like iRacing either. 

I would say it would be the best triple monitor implementation in a sim now that they have improved it. 

I am not sure why they didn't make a bigger deal about it because hardly anyone knows that it has an in game FOV adjustment now. 

BTW you can bind buttons to the seat adjustment also (up/down, forward/aft) so it is really easy to get the perfect FOV now, you can do it all in car

I notice in the ini file the measurements show the value of M, so we need to work in meters and if so is this the same for the in sim utility.

I only ask as it sounds a little odd to use such a high value of measurement when dealing with monitors which could be measured in CM's, although it's not a big deal just seems odd to my simple brain.

Jason.

18 hours ago, Darin Gangi said:

My brain hurts now ;-)..  What are "the maths" ??

FYI, the formula to work out what the monitor angle for rFactor 1 or GSCE is

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(monitorWidth/2*viewingDistance)

In my case with my monitor being 609mm (including half the dezel because rFactor doesn't support bezel correction) and my viewing distance being 530mm it works out to

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(609/2*530)

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(0.57452830188679245283018867924528)

monitor angle = 2 * 29.878586708537776516721685427144

monitor angle = 59.757173417075553033443370854288

Which is how I work out that I need a 60 degree monitor angle. This is the formula that rFactor 1, GSCE and Euro Truck Simulator use. So if I use a normal FOV calculator and set my FOV in the game to 36 degrees vFOV then based of the formula the game will render my side monitors at 60 degrees. Got to love maths.

Sebj wrote a great article on the subject of finding the mathematically correct side monitor angle here

Luckily in rFactor 2 you don't have to do all this complex maths and you can just use their new fancy FOV utility.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 11:51 AM, Avenga76 said:

FYI, the formula to work out what the monitor angle for rFactor 1 or GSCE is

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(monitorWidth/2*viewingDistance)

In my case with my monitor being 609mm (including half the dezel because rFactor doesn't support bezel correction) and my viewing distance being 530mm it works out to

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(609/2*530)

monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(0.57452830188679245283018867924528)

monitor angle = 2 * 29.878586708537776516721685427144

monitor angle = 59.757173417075553033443370854288

Which is how I work out that I need a 60 degree monitor angle. This is the formula that rFactor 1, GSCE and Euro Truck Simulator use. So if I use a normal FOV calculator and set my FOV in the game to 36 degrees vFOV then based of the formula the game will render my side monitors at 60 degrees. Got to love maths.

Sebj wrote a great article on the subject of finding the mathematically correct side monitor angle here

Luckily in rFactor 2 you don't have to do all this complex maths and you can just use their new fancy FOV utility.

From everything I've read about RFactor 1, SCE, FT, etc. over the years, as-well as my personal experience, I'm pretty sure you just need to set your monitors to a 45 degree angle if - this is the important part - you are using a 1:1 real-life : game FOV.

For bezels, you just set your bezel compensation in your Nvidia/AMD control panel and use that bezel compensated resolution to play.

I could be wrong, but it really, really seems like this.  I have used 23", 24", and now 27" monitors and 45 degrees always seems the perfect angle as long as I'm using a 1:1 game-to-real-life FOV.

FOV calculator can be found here in-order to determine the 1:1 FOV for a given setup.

7 minutes ago, Spinelli said:

From everything I've read about RFactor 1, SCE, FT, etc. over the years, as-well as my personal experience, I'm pretty sure you just need to set your monitors to a 45 degree angle if - this is the important part - you are using a 1:1 real-life : game FOV.

No, that is very incorrect. It is a myth that the monitor angle is locked to 45 degrees.

It will be  monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(monitorWidth/2*viewingDistance) as long as you vertical FOV is right in the game.

So at vFOV 26 it would rendering the side monitors at 45 degrees but if I move my monitors closer so I had a vFOV 36 then the side monitors would render at 60 degrees.

You need to work out your 1:1 FOV using that FOV calulator then work out the side monitor angles using monitor angle = 2 * inv(tan)(monitorWidth/2*viewingDistance)

See my post above for photos of GSCE at vFOV 26/45 side monitor angle and vFOV 36/60 side monitor angle.

Trust me, if I had my side monitor angles are 45 degrees with my monitors this close then it would not render correctly. You need to set your side monitors to the angle that the formula dictates, the closer the monitors the higher the vFOV, the higher the vFOV the higher the side monitor angle, it is all linked together.

Ohhhhh, maybe that's why my monitor angles always are at about 45 degrees with just about perfect vision, because my 1:1 vFOV was always right around the 26 degree mark you stated.  It was in the low-to-mid 20s with the 23" and 24" monitors and is now at 27 degrees with my 27" monitors.  What a coincidence!

Yeah, That is how the 45 degree myth started because the "Normal" distance most people have their monitors at works out to around 45 degrees, you only start to notice it when you start going really close like mine or really far away. Before when I had my monitors at 740mm I was using a vFov of 26 which gave me a side motor angle of 45 degrees but now the I have moved the monitors close, at 530mm my vFOV went up to 36 degrees vFOV and my side monitors to 60 degrees.

For example if your old 24" monitors were at 22 degrees vFOV then the side monitors would be rendering at around 38 degrees so if you had your monitors at 45 degrees then it is probably close enough that you never noticed it. Now that you are using 27 vFOV then your side monitors would be rendering pretty close to 45 degrees (Maybe like 46 or 47 degrees)

It works that other way also. like if you have 27" monitors at 1200mm then the side monitors would render at 28 degrees. This is probably when it would start to look really wrong if you still have your side monitors positioned at 45 degrees.

This is why some people say that multiview in rFactor doesn't work for them, because they are too far away from what the game is rendering and what the side monitors are actually positioned at.

4 hours ago, timson72 said:

i can not get that triples menu to pop up,ive altered the key mapping still wont pop up. 

I was having this same issue earlier today. What i was doing was after I would check multiview in the options i would go into the game and the control/= combo would not work. Make sure after you check the multiview box in the options that you scroll down below and click the confirm changes button (or whatever it says at the bottom). If you don't do that it is not keeping the multiview setting checked when you leave the options screen. If multiview is not checked then the monitor adjustment will never pop up. Hope it helps you out!