Which wheel for OSW
2 2

42 posts in this topic

What would be the best, one size fits all kind of wheel for OSW project?

Momo Mod 30 seems like quite popular choice, except some people find 320mm too large and prefer 300mm as a happy medium.

Anything to worth looking at in leather, preferably 300mm.

Edited by Andrew_WOT

Guess everything above 300mm for an open wheeler is a bit strange. I'd rather go a tiny bit smaller than larger. So I think I probably could be happy with a 290mm rim as well.

If I remember correctly Momo, OMP or Sparco aren't offering a round 290mm rim though and a D-shaped rim is not an option because I wanna use it for rally as well.

So I went for the OMP Trecento which is 300mm. The Sparco 300 is nice as well, but it's only available in alcantara, no leather.

Cheers

Edit:

Just thinking, the OSW is very powerful. So maybe for that reason it's a good idea not going too small...dunno. My gut feeling is 300mm is a good compromise.

Edited by Thirsty

Superb feedback, I am not glove person myself (yet) and looking more at leather. Yes, rally (dirty one :)), completely forgot, that pertty much takes D-shaped rims out of equation.

Any feedback on Momo Team, they have it in 280 and 300 mm variants. After using 280mm TM I think 300 mm would be close to perfect to not feel like a complete toy but still be quick enough for fast turns.

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steering-wheels/team.html

0000362_momo-team-300mm.jpeg

It looks like this is one heavy sucker though, 3.5lbs (1.59 kgs) for 300mm version, like 300 grams heavier than other leather Momo wheels.

I adore look of Jet

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steering-wheels/jet.html

But it comes in 320mm smallest

jet_1.jpg

Edited by Andrew_WOT

QSP is the one I was checking too, couldn't find it in States for sale.

But I thought you sold yours already, no? http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/19222-sold-qsp-300mm-leather-wheel/

Do you know the weight of it? By the look of internet pictures Momo Team has better leather finish, esp in the back.

Edited by Andrew_WOT

I did sell that one. I bought another for my Fanatec universal hub, 2 weeks ago. I just bought the Porsche wheel so looking to sell the hub and wheel to pay for it.

I can't comment about the Momo team vs QSP. The QSP is really good quality though.

Edited by david b

FWIW, I had a 280mm Momo team last decade on my rig and afraid it wasn't that great, at least for me. That size variant I found it to be very heavy and I disliked that it felt rather thin in my hands. Didn't like it feeling very hard when rim is squeezed, as I prefer some sort of soft padding below the leather (only applies to leather rims, not suede), similar to momo mod11. Anyway, sold it :)
it felt more of a road car wheel, rather than a racing wheel, but I think 300/320mm one looks better and may feel better. Not sure why they all are the same model, MOMO Team, when they look different and 280mm one being off-centre
It's a matter of taste though, I have more than 10 rims in use now, so am spoiled with choice when it comes to the right rim for the right car.

Edited by frapster

I did sell that one. I bought another for my Fanatec universal hub, 2 weeks ago. I just bought the Porsche wheel so looking to sell the hub and wheel to pay for it.

I can't comment about the Momo team vs QSP. The QSP is really good quality though.

David so just to clarify, the wheel you have is NOT an official MoMo team?  How much are you asking for your this wheel?

Received 300mm version of Team Momo.

The rim weighs 1.46kg, not advertised on Momo site 1.59.

The craftsmanship is jaw dropping, stitching, leather all around, perforated front and back, size wise feels like the right step up from Thrustmater TM28, not too big, not too small.  Grip is comfortable but as frapster pointed out, is on a hard side.

Next, OSW. :)

Edited by Andrew_WOT

post-24826-0-32698200-1444923313_thumb.jmsg-24826-0-53649900-1444702035_thumb.jppost-24826-0-63383000-1437511550_thumb.jpost-24826-0-88374600-1440708251_thumb.jhttp://www.racerproducts.co.nz/store/p77/Sportline_Competition_Suede_Racing_Wheel_-_300mm.html

I figured I'd post this up incase someone is doing their research and wants so choices and curious about some of the lesser known brands with cool designs...and because I've owned the one in the link. Ive really enjoyed it. I used it for the entire time I owned an osw. I used it with a holgier qr.

The pros:

Light weight!!! This thing worked awesome on my t300, and continued to be awesome on an osw. A light wheel is good. There's more agility, more immediacy because less torque / inertia to fight against the motor. If you like a heavier feel that's fine too. Turn up your damper saturation, or get a button plate. Overall i Love how light but rigid it feels the most.  

Robust: I have pretty skinny and large hands, and this wheel is pretty thick. So I rarely ever get hand fatigue. It feels really comfy with a nice pair of race quip gloves.

Cool design: I love the look. Its bold, its suede, has red stitching, and a great grip in several positions. Easy to keep track of wheel spin during tail slappers or drifting. 

High quality: suede feels great. Doesn't start to fall apart like the NRG brand. Stay away from those. Gloves reccomended though. Sweat can make the wheel loose its lush soft feel near the grips. 

Cons:

Longetivity: theres a seem on the suede near the back side of the wheel that looks as though it could begin to peel up over time. That part is not stitched. Mine didn't peel. But be careful. 

FYI, its 300mm

70mm bolt pattern. 

Edited by jimmyhigh

Most Momo wheels come with screws, except the small race wheels like Momo 27 which don't come pre drilled because most real racer drill 3 hole pattern 60mm or 50mm.

i can get most Momo wheels at the ISRTV group price of $190 VS $229

Momo wheels are expensive but they are awesome quality...

Edited by SteveS

Any one like these rims? I found out what model rim the precision sim engineering uses for the rim pictured below. Probably the coolest and cleanest rim ive seen the past few years. Its much ljke the sparco p310, except they use the t310, which is the karting version of the wheel due to its weight and probably its aesthetic good looks. :) so I got a red and black rim to match my black and red chassis under construction at the moment to match. Likely will get button plate parts from Steve spenceley's new site. Screenshot_20160304-201037.thumb.png.0aa Screenshot_20160304-201147.thumb.png.034Screenshot_20160304-201037.thumb.png.0aa

IMG_20160302_213841~2.jpg

The best price I could find last night was $229 USD

http://www.sparcoracingusa.com/sparco-racing-t310-kart-wheel.html?productid=649

i'm going to work on producing a button plate build kit like the one shown using a Z1 screen.

if anyone has sourced the nice looking rotary knobs let's me know.

The first six button plate kits are underway, for people who enjoy DIY. You will be able to order single front plate, front and rear, and complete enclosure. The rear is pre-drilled to mount common circuits.

http://opensimrigs.com/collections/button-plates

Edited by SteveS

Thank you Tsfc, designing parts for Sim Racing is my passion...,

I thought you might like to see the new OpenSimRigs keyboard & mouse tray build kits. My friend owns an awesome laser cutting business, so any project you can thing about in sheet metal becomes reasonable cost. The edge is comes of the machine with a super clean edge and looks polished! Using his services button plates, SLI mounts and phone mounts become affordable...

All precision laser cut in 4B stainless steel, add some 8020 extrusion and you have 3 pivot articulated keyboard & mouse arms. The come in 15 series, 25 series & 40 series.

KeyboardAndMouseTrayParts.jpg

KeyBoardAndMouseTray.jpg