Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WRC 5 - Out Now

11 posts in this topic

On Steam that is, 39.99 USD (10% discount if you buy before Oct 15).  PS/Xbox coming in a weeks time... digital distribution only in many regions outside of Europe.

Just one Steam review right now... says "55/45 for Arcade/Sim split in physics".  But reading lots of people in youtube and their facebook comments regarding poor wheel support on consoles.

Not expecting much in terms of a sim... but it could be fun.  Really want to know more about stage design/repetitiveness.  Will wait and see.

Reviews are getting worse.  9 Steam reviews submitted; 6 negative, 3 positive.  Here's one of the more detailed reviews.

6.7 hrs on record
Posted: 8 October
Dear Rally Driver,

Imma bit tired so forgive my grammar, hehe.

I played WRC for 4 or 5 hours now. As I am played 550+ hours of DR, and a couple of xx hours in RBR I can say I am somewhata Rally-game expert. Right?

What are the worst things about WRC5:

- FFB (Creates a more annoying grinding than RBR) Tried everything, even 0% in profiler
- Stages looks like its Dakar Rally
- Steering is 211" degrees optimized. Ya can steer 900's degrees, but ya won't turn ;)
- Shadow draw distance is bad
- I am deaf, but according to some viewers of my stream the sound is really bad
- Not the best engine or art to put rallying into. Its more an engine for a shooter.
- MP dead, but that's normal because its new.

What do I like about WRC5?

- Taking damage? It means something here. I lost my handbrake, my brakes, my gears. Oh ♥♥♥♥.
- Presentation is really nice.
- Repairsystem is nice to see.
- If you first top 5 of this montly challenge all top 5 gets WRC5 baseball cap and something else <3 OMG
- Can go into Esports.. but I am not so sure, haha!
- Online challenge's etc. just like Dirt Rally.
- No restarts
- Career

What can WRC5 improve?

- Implenting eyefinity
- a better tachometer.
- Optimizing steering and FFB
- and at least the handling of racing itself.
- Rally school is same stuff all over again, but different surfaces.
- Wished the cockpit was better
- Fov slider, and seatadjuster
- Camera must save, etc. Every time you start now you start in chase-mode

In overal: I won't recommened this game for a real rally fan nor for a kiddo. It's a 10 á 20 euro game at finest atm. It Kylotonn improve this game, fix some issues it could be a 30's game. .

WRC 5 is in overal better than WRC1234. I am curious how SLRE will try to beat Kyolotonn.

Imma out! Trying to beat the game for now

Ivy

edit:

To be honest: I played some more hours. This game shouldn't be released in this state. its full of bugs, ffb is bad, handling is bad. It can in European terms of product-stuff etc be classified at product-fraud, etc. The basis is good, the stuff is nice in theory, but Kylotonn please take this game off steam or anywhere, and go back optimizing it, etc. Just to save your reputation as company. You don't wanna do a Milestone here.

The poor wheel support and lack of surround/eyefinity makes it pretty much a deal breaker for me.  At least Milestone's WRC 4 started to get that right.

Wow. It only "Supports" 4 wheels on the PC.

I don't think I will even bother doing an Accuforce wheel fix for this one (Seems like I have to do one of these for most games that come out now)

Hopefully it is better than WRC4's controller support that only supported a single controller but reviews like this don't sound promising.

Game sucks, won't recognize a g25 wheel have to use game pad (sucks) don't buy this piece of ......... you know where that was going

Ok, so I just gave it a try.  Knew I would likely end up using the Steam Refund option, for my first time, and ensured I kept playtime under 2 hours.  I've now put in just under 2 hours... did a few stages as full WRC in quick rally and started a career mode, which begins in Junior WRC.  Here's what I've found in the this time...

First and foremost, surround/eyefinity doesn't work.  It just stretches the image (in menus and in game).  Though it wasn't perfect, the basic surround (no stretching) at least worked with WRC 4.  I race on PC because of triple screens, I won't be keeping this title.

Second, my 911 GT3 RS V2 w/ CSR Elite Pedals (hooked in via wheel base) won't work.  The game will not allow me to map the axis (wheel, accel, brake)... only detected face buttons.  Didn't even bother to try mapping my TH8A as a handbrake.  Just another reason I won't be keeping this title.  [see here](http://steamcommunity.com/app/354160/discussions/0/483366528920365295/) for the limited list of supported wheels.  Because of this, impressions here forward are completely based on me playing with an Xbox 360 gamepad.

There are 5 stages for each country, they range from 2-9 km.  A full rally weekend includes 6 stages over 3 days... 1, 2 or 3 stages per day (mixed, but many are 2-2-2).  A full rally weekend ranges around 25-40 km in total length.  Stages naming comes from those of the real WRC rally event, but none of the stages are 1:1 recreations from real life.  Comparing stage maps they all appear to be unique from one another, not even a reverse stage to be found.  With my short time played, track deja vu as seen with WRC 4 appears to be gone, with the exception of the repeated stage.  Overall I think they are good stage designs, better than seen in WRC 4... but visual quality behind that found of the recreations in DiRT Rally.  I'm not sure how they laid out the worlds (all 5 on one map, all stages have their own, etc), but they've done a good job.  Wish there could had been more length in all stages.  These stages and a decent career mode are one of the very few positives about this game.

Handling is as expected, just barely an improvement over WRC 4... still more arcade than sim.  Almost feels like an early Colin McRae Rally.  Damage can effect the car's handling to a limit.  I've been perminantly stuck in gear, can't reverse.  I've experinced a loss of electronics, and that resulted in the full loss of co-driver communication (it's cool idea).  Punctures don't appear to happen.  It doesn't appear to be possible to get terminal damage... car just becomes really slow and miserable to drive.  In quick rally mode the damage was 100% repaired automatically between every stage, there is also no accesability to the car setup.  But in career mode you do have the ability to repair damage at the end/start of each day (1-3 stages before a repair).  In Junior WRC (and quick stage/rally modes) the car settings menu is disabled and gives mention that it's not avaialble for this class (not sure about WRC-2)... so based on my current play, I can't comment on car setup at all.  Based on only being able to use a gamepad, I'm far from sold in keeping this game.

Some random thoughts and observations about visuals, menus, and other bits about WRC 4.  There is no FOV slider, but there is 5 settings of how close/far the camera is in-car and behind car (hood is fixed).  No adjustments avaialble to change pace of co-driver call outs.  DX9 graphics, but they don't look terrible.  Maybe only a slight improvement vs WRC 4, but not as nice as DiRT Rally.  One thing noticable (on max settings) is that the shadow detail distance is very short, thought it was screen tearing when I first noticed it... bit distracting.  Why is the start rally (when leaving motorhome) button an extra (5th) option shown off screen, and doesn't have a shortcut button (start).  You can't jump the start of a stage.  Car audio is blah.  Personally no framerate issues, 60 fps maxed out at 1080p.

First time using the Steam Refund option, hope there's no hassle.  If they added wheel support and fixed triple screen aspect issues, I could consider it... with a $10-15 price tag.  These stages would be fun to adventure through a few times, and I don't mind the basic career progression.  Would never replace the longevitiy I see for DiRT Rally, and that many of us have also had with RBR.

DjFIL, thanks for your honest opinion/review! I have played the earlier WRC titles by Milestone and wasn't impressed at all, so after reading your story: Not going to buy this title...

Seems that Dirt Rally is still the leader ;)  

DjFIL, thanks for your honest opinion/review! I have played the earlier WRC titles by Milestone and wasn't impressed at all, so after reading your story: Not going to buy this title...

Seems that Dirt Rally is still the leader ;)  

DiRT Rally is still the easy leader for those wanting realism.  I could see this being fun... but before I could consider rebuying it (preferably at a lower price) I'd need the surround/eyefinity and wheel support fixed.  We'll have to wait and see what Seb Loeb EVO brings to the table.

Ok, so i bought this piece of crap for the PS4..

I have a T300 and the steering locks at 90 degrees? WTF?!? I'm i doing something wrong?

I only have driven 3 corners, lol. I feel robbed!

I am not buying any other games without demo them first or until PS store starts to offer refunds.

F***!!

Kylotonn appears to be listening to the critical feedback, probably in part to a large number of Steam Refunds.  As per my prior short "review"... I'd be more than willing to rebuy the game as a casual rally experience if they would resolve triple screen and wheel support.  PC patch was released today to fix some minor problems... see their facebook post here... but the good news from it is...

The team is currently working on multiple-screens and wheels compatibility enhancement, further patches to come! 

With these fixes I might eventually repurchase, at the right price.

this dev doesnt deserve our time or money, i spent well over 10 hours trying to make this game playable on ps4 with t500,the problem is that everything works fine,ffb,fov,sound,all customisable but the game is still crap.The co driver is too slow and makes ridiculous comments,trying to sound like cmr's nicky grist and rambling pace notes that make no sense.The environmental sounds are dreadfull especially on the start line,"chirp chirp, woohoo woo yeah"wtf?.

The handling,no matter how much you tweak it, is awfull, 20degrees of dead zone followed by 20-25degrees being full lock.And finally the graphics, is it just me or does this look like a bad ps3/good ps2 game?. I think that this game is an insult to gamers in general but to simmies and wheel racers, both console and pc alike, this is a piss taking rip off!

At least the steam users can get a refund, ive paid 45pounds for this game and now its worth 25pounds store credit at game, the problem is that i feel bad for passing this game on to another unsuspecting gamer.