Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ashamed, Embarrassed and in need of this forums expertise please!

7 posts in this topic

First off let me say i have 33yrs of accident free motoring on British roads under my belt.

I've been taught evasive and aggresive techniques by law enforcement personnel and i also have had the extreme honour of Stage and Speed Rallying, holding a National A licence for20yrs.

Now given all the above real world experience i have gained during my life so far I honestly believed the next piece of my story to be a piece of cake lol.

How wrong i was.............

Yesterday the 4th October was my 50th birthday.

My lovely wife bless her bought me my very first racing wheel bundle.

Due to financial constraints ( 5 kids and 3 grandkids ) all she could afford was a Logitech G27 wheel, pedal and shifter set. BTW I'm stoked...

Now here is my problem my friends, watch me drive with a wheel in a PC racing game regardless of the type you would at first glance think that i had never been behind the wheel of a real car.

This is totally alien to me atm and i genuinely have no comprehension of what any of the settings do both in the Logitech profiler software on in the game options themselves.

So i am officially begging this great community to offer this 50yr old idiot an olive branch of hope.

Can anyone offer me a starting point as to wherei should set the various settings to that will allow me to drive in a straight line while remaining in control without having the wheel jerked out of my hands quite forcefully or avoiding fishtailing along the road totally out of control??

I do understand that there is no magic setting for everyone of us but i do believe that i have come to the right place so someone can get me underway with the basic settings needed so i am able to experience the next level of sim,arcade or even simcade as it is meant to be.

My thanks and appreciation goes out to all those peopke who hopefully take the time to read this epically long post and decide to help a firxt time wheel user gain back some self respect

Regards & Respect

SCOOBY

As this is posted under The Crew subforum, I'm assuming you're playing The Crew.  This is an arcade racer, and should be played like one (aka, not taken seriously, at all).  That said... turning down force feedback can be a good start (if self centering is too heavy)... and I personally like using the physics on "sport mode" (instead of "hardcore").

If you're on PC... check out this thread, which gives details about advanced settings available for force feedback... http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/15959-the-crew-force-feedback-extra-tuning-pc-version/

Welcome to your new addiction Sim racing is a wonderful way to enjoy the thrills of racing with out all the nasty stuff like HUGE tire bills and death and such  :rolleyes:

You have come to the right place for a wealth of info. The G27 is a fantastic wheel Most of us have had a Logitech G series wheel at some point. And even till this day 

if some one asks me what wheel they should get to start with the G27 is at the top of the list. 

Go here you should find what you are looking for. 

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/1569-logitech-wheel-settings-g25-g27-dfgt-dfp/

Welcome sim racing! Happy birthday... Really nice safe gift from your wife.

Sim racing is a great hobby, the only negative is plan to spend more money when you find a title you enjoy.

Your skills driving a real car will be put to good uses, as you switch from game to sim title!

Codemaster products are a good fun place to start. F1, Dirt rally, Grid Autosort.

Project Cars is excellent but you need a good PC and graphics card.

Assetto Corsa and IRacing are outstanding when your looking for something more serious.

LOL, sounds like I could have written this post.

My observations as another newbie to the scene:

There is a definite learning curve to the whole thing, whether "Game" or "Sim". Be patient, take it in small sessions to minimize frustration, and don't expect to pick it up on the first lap. It will come.

There is absolutely a difference between "Games" and "Sims". In general, sims seem to give you a higher degree of customization as far as force feedback goes. Sims generally have more options and 'granularity' than the more arcade-style titles. If something like "The Crew" is frustrating you, something more toward the sim side of things might be a better place to learn. There's a thread in another forum here on programs with free trial periods: LINK You could give some of those a try without investing any more money.

If you aren't using the Logitech Profiler to launch your program, I would suggest giving it a try. I was running Grid without it and found the FF to be just awful. My friend Google showed me the error of my ways and things are much better now.

Welcome to your new addiction.

Hi SCOOBY 

I've got an story real close to your's also. I drove over the road for over 44 years "Accident Free" and I have 7 Million Verifiable miles under my belt  :mrgreen: That, I'm VERY Proud 0f. BUT, I couldn't drive these things for noth'in  when I first started out either. Very Frustrating. I started Like You reading in all the forums and trying to learn ALL I could and "How To" setup my wheel from different people and reading. The Best thing for me was to go into my Texas League Forums (where I from) :D and started talking to some of those Fella's in there (this was in iRacing). They Really HELP'ed  this 0l' Man and got me going with Right setting's on my wheel (all Fanatec stuff) and told me how to adjust this and that to my liking. And, they explained to me a lot of stuff that I Was Not a-where of at all. I know this isn't going to help you much. But, It did for me, IF you think you'll be getting or maybe already have iRacing then go into your state Forums and check it out, I'll bet they Will Help you out also.

G00D Day!  :)