Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 94: Nascar 2011 The Game First Look & Gunnar Glasses

13 posts in this topic

Here's our first look at the new Nascar 2011 for the Xbox and PS3. Despite several efforts at motorsports gaming this is Eutechnyx's first time with ths Nascar licence. Check it out and see how they're doing

We also check out some Gunnar glasses to see if they really help with glare and eye strain. All this and more on this episode of Inside Sim Racing

Great episode, as usual.

The glasses look interesting, kind of like the slightly yellow tinted driving/biking glasses.

In particular, excellent interview with Ed Martin. I enjoyed the background as well as details about the upcoming game. I haven't really been interested in NASCAR games before, but I actually came away thinking I'd like to give that a shot when it comes out. Ed certainly seems to know what a good game needs. 43 cars and full length races...not what you normally hear from racing games. Not sure I'd do it, but it's nice that I'd have the option if I got the itch to try it. That's how it ought to be.

ok... where to start lets see.

well, first off, yes i hope it sells many copies and does well on the market. the sport has been in a slump in recent years and a little boost here and there does help. this game looks like it might bring in some money and media attention. awesome.

now, in my opinion the game is nothing more than that, a racing game. it is obviously targeted at those casual fans for only watch the odd race or two, or the younger kids who enjoy going fast and wreaking cars. it is in no way even close to being a sim, and i hope that it will not be put on the Shibami. maybe give it a 5 or 10 minute segment with the Rev scale and that should be enough.

the physics look to be pathetic, ive seen footage where the player changes his line 4 times in one corner, going from the arpon to the wall and back and forth. thats not even close to being real. and theres the "days of thunder" and "talladega nights" passing gear, where somehow shifting suddenly give you 50 more horsepower. and also footage of a player ramming into the back of another car to get slowed down in the turns, without it having effect on the other car. whereas in real life the cars are so areo dependent and even running close to the bumper of another one might be enough to spin it.

i think i will finish by saying that i'm so glad that there are still developers in this world who thrive to make a sim as accurate to real life as possible. thank you iRacing and The Sim Factory for still caring.

p.s. i'm sure i'll have some more stuff to whine about later in this thread. ;)

I think one stock question that needs to be asked by you guys is "will there be AI in online races?"

For those people that mostly run with friends and club forum events, when only 2 or 3 of you are around online, being able to add in AI can be sometimes be helpful.

I can't fault them for not making it a full on sim when that's not what they were going for.

When game developers use the word "accessible" they aren't going for a hardcore sim. However, games like this, Grid, Dirt 2 are the games that bring people into simming when they want to go the next step. Like me. ;)

here we go, some footage of a driver who is capable of putting a decent lap together. it raised my hopes slightly.

a decent lap at sonoma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNxshc_LNPI

Phoenix also... a couple 3 or 4 here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33YAoVYhdRY

(thanks to my buddies at RuRa for diggin these links up)

all i can say is if ur car is bouncing round that much you've really got the wrong shock and spring package in there. not only will it not stick to the track but it'll create a boat load of aero drag. well, blame it on the physics i guess.

on a more positive note, the graphics look amazing.

Great Episode as always.

Agreed with Defcon Won, for myself, Race Driver Grid was my real start into sim racing, I had played all sorts of driving games on the PC with a joystick in the past but Grid on the PS3 is the one that got me to go out and buy a DFGT and race with a wheel, then I slowly started going towards real sims out of curiosity, Race 07, rFactor and now iRacing.

Gotta start somewhere, mine was Grid, and to this day, I still like that game.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

Hello,

i just registered. Ive been following your great show since December 2009. Im very new to the Sim Racing Genre, im soon 25 years old, but i have a lot of videogames experience. Also im coming from the Fighting Genre, which i played competitively. Its the same reason as with the other community why i got interested, its because you people are really enthusiastic, like this show or gtplanet users etc. I played GT since GT2, friends of mine are too good for me, really big fans of the GT franchise. Today i saw one exhibition, and for the first time in my life i sat in a Recaro seat and DFGT wheel, also Sony 3D Tv with glasses. It was awesome! I decided 1 year ago to buy myself one rig and wheel, and hopefully im finishing university in the next months :)

The reason why im writing this is: "Could you please answer me whats the name of the background music in the glasses segment (4:25 - 7:48). I noticed this is like ISR theme. Who is the componist? Also is it possible to get this tune? Imo its brilliant. Everything with this music in the background is so much hype for me, haha. It hypes me, and also calms me too. So nice. Thats the ultimate reason why i registered. Can it be that in one show this music was even more "wicked", like a remix? I cant find it anymore.

Greetings from Germany,

Akaji

Thanks for another great episode you guys.

I just wanted to comment on the Gunnar glasses. I also work (and play) in from of the monitor pretty much all day. Different people definitely have different levels of sensitivity to this, but after many year I started to notice the eye strain and was looking for anything to ease it. I have been using a pair of the Gunnar glasses for about 5 months now and I feel that they have helped to reduce the eyestrain. I think I have the same model that Shaun was wearing (its a thin all metal frame that is very very light). Anyways, I would recommend them as well. Hard to exactly put a finger on what they do, but it's easier to look at the screen. I'm pretty sure that you guys are also right that there is just a tad of magnification. The only thing I would probably not want to use them for is final proofing of visual work because of the tint. As you guys mentioned they also make prescriptions, so people with vision insurance might be able to score them through an eye doctor.

One other note about them is that I think I remember reading that there are two versions. One is for sitting close to you monitor and one is for distance viewing.

Cheers.

Hello,

i just registered. Ive been following your great show since December 2009. Im very new to the Sim Racing Genre, im soon 25 years old, but i have a lot of videogames experience. Also im coming from the Fighting Genre, which i played competitively. Its the same reason as with the other community why i got interested, its because you people are really enthusiastic, like this show or gtplanet users etc. I played GT since GT2, friends of mine are too good for me, really big fans of the GT franchise. Today i saw one exhibition, and for the first time in my life i sat in a Recaro seat and DFGT wheel, also Sony 3D Tv with glasses. It was awesome! I decided 1 year ago to buy myself one rig and wheel, and hopefully im finishing university in the next months :)

The reason why im writing this is: "Could you please answer me whats the name of the background music in the glasses segment (4:25 - 7:48). I noticed this is like ISR theme. Who is the componist? Also is it possible to get this tune? Imo its brilliant. Everything with this music in the background is so much hype for me, haha. It hypes me, and also calms me too. So nice. Thats the ultimate reason why i registered. Can it be that in one show this music was even more "wicked", like a remix? I cant find it anymore.

Greetings from Germany,

Akaji

hi Akaji! welcome to the sim racing community! i also happen to be finishing up university in the spring. i've been lucky enough over the past four years to find enough time to keep sim racing. it's worth it i think, gotta keep sharp.