Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIY - 80-20 Rig with triple monitor integration

58 posts in this topic

What is the width of the front bracket for the lenze?  I want to keep using my button box holder but the button boxes protude out the back. See the attached picture to get a better idea.  

Would it be possible to make the seat height and angle adjustable so you could make it lower and lean back slightly more like an f1 position?

IMG_20151114_174519.jpg

Hi Aquip

The really nice thing about the 8020 is it's easy to make any width. The last custom version I made was 17 1/2" to the inside verticals. I have now made custom mounting plates for Bosch 90mm*45mm and 8020 25 series 50mm*50mm.

At the moment I'm not doing production runs, just cutting custom versions for customers.

Sorry I'm not following on the seat adjustment?

1 hour ago, SteveS said:

Hi Aquip

The really nice thing about the 8020 is it's easy to make any width. The last custom version I made was 17 1/2" to the inside verticals. I have now made custom mounting plates for Bosch 90mm*45mm and 8020 25 series 50mm*50mm.

At the moment I'm not doing production runs, just cutting custom versions for customers.

Sorry I'm not following on the seat adjustment?

Thanks for the reply Steve. I am currently using Bosch 90 x 45 but I am looking at making a new rig and just in the design phase right now. Good to hear the brackets are custom built to requirements and I will be in contact when I have settled on the rig design and the profile size I will be using.

My current rig is split into 2 so it can be folded away but I will soon have enough space to have a full joint one. I quite liked the simple one the guys at Heusinkveld Engineering made for the SimExpo so it might go down that route. Really nice design of the wheel mount btw - it gives a lot more leg room below the steering wheel.

As for the seat idea I'm not actually sure if it will work out as an F1 seat is quite different from a standard reclining seat or bucket seat. The general idea was to be able to drop the back whole square frame holding the seat and make it more like the position in the attached image. I have also taken a print screen of the original image to hopefully show what I mean. Let me know what you think and if it is worth trying with a bucket seat...

Capture300.PNG

CSL-Seat-View_01-1000x666_zpsde74b120.jpg

To get a regular race seat to tilt back to an f1 style position you have to tilt it by some considerable margin and then ideally support the back of the drivers legs.  It's not only titling the seat back but also raising the pedals that's most important.

This is probably the most memorable 80/20 F1 style rig I can recall, which I believe was built by a Williams F1 employee for their own personal rig at home:

I've been mulling around with the idea of a dual F1/GT rig for a while which I might build once I ever get my dream of a workshop, it's very basic the tricky part I imagine is not just the tilt in the seat but the adjustable slant and height on the pedals that is needed:

39 minutes ago, sebj said:

Hmm, not sure if Steve posted it but when he reads this thread he may. It does have adjustable pedals built.

yep it does

What I'd love to see is a recliner style lever that you could pull that would adjust everything in one motion.  I believe Steve was looking into motors that would adjust these settings in his design.

I like the look of the monkey driver gaming tank as it seems to do this but no word on a release date yet and the pedal plate doesn't look like it would hold up to the ultimate pedals.  

I was going for more of the gt seating position showed in the attached image and then dropping the seat down and changing to an f1 position  keeping the pedals in the same place and maybe changing the pedal angle slightly.  

From the picture it looks like going from a true gt position to an f1 position could be done by leaning back the seat

seating_positions.jpg

Like UNKLE & Seb suggested I did design a rig for GT3 & F1 seating, I'm just waiting to get approval from the client to share the design.

I found that the seat must transform in shape as suggested in Aquip diagrams. When it transforms the pedals must raise, adjust in angle and move forward/backward...

My design used small motors to transform the shape, which is a luxury. Cam clamps can be used as a cheap alternative.

I started with a good F1 seating position

F1-SeatWithManikin-3QuarterView.JPG

Then designed a seat which can transform from GT3 to F1, the head rest & the leg support cause the biggest design challenge.

F1-ChairPosition-11Nov.JPG

F1-SideChairPosition-11Nov.JPG

GT3-ChairPosition-11Nov.JPG

GT3-SideChairPosition-11Nov.JPG

The seat side plates were designed to also hold a normal standard seat so real F1 race seats or GT3 seat could be used, but retain the adjustment to get the most comfortable position.

F1-PositionWithGT3-Chair-Rig-11Nov.JPG

That looks spot on. Looks really adjustable and doesn't look too hard to change around between positions. Liking that last picture where you can use a normal seat. A cushion behind the head in the laid back position and it will be very close to an f1 seat. Now I cant wait to move to my new bigger place and get one ordered =D.

Great thread. I really enjoyed going through here.

That's the good thing about sim racing, if you really get bored after completing your perfect GT-style rig you just start a F1 cockpit ;-) 

It must be a huge challenge building a rig you can transform from GT to F1 and back. There are so many thingss affected - seat, monitors, wheel, pedals, shifter etc.

Comfort is very important to me and I'm not sure if it's possible using just one seat for both.

I haven't put any thought into this - I mean apart from that little bit while typing - but if I wanted to do this I'd start with the idea having two parts:

1. Seat (one GT seat unit and one F1 seat unit)

2. A unit holding all the rest, i.e. monitors, wheel, pedals, shifter etc., which is easily inclinable allowing you to switch between both, GT and F1.

That way you still got the perfect seat for both styles and you can build a good part of the changes in geometry into the seat frames. I would think it's possible doing that with 6 bolts, 4 for the stationary monitor/wheel unit and 2 for fixing the seat frames to it. The seat should be on castors in order to make the switch easier.

Again, just an idea...not properly thought through.

Cheers

It is indeed a great thread and topic Thirsty, what really got me thinking about a  F1/GT rig was VR.  Commercial F1 rigs I think fail on the most part with monitor placement but with VR this obviously isn't important.

Anyone who can design, build and sell an affordable versatile rig like this in the next few years will be onto a reall winner.

BTW versatile gear shifter placement shouldn't be forgotten about either, there's been many times where I just wished the placement would match exactly what I'm seeing in the VR world.

Thirsty, I agree it's a great design challenge. Just bolting on a standard seat and tilting it back is a design compromise, the angle of the back rest and the thigh support really needs to change in addition to the head support which is why the seat had 6 adjustable hinge points.

As you lay back F1 style the pedals move forward & higher in relationship to the wheel position. The wheel rim also needs to rotate to a new angle...

Anyone seriously thinking about a race seat which supports both positions should research ergonomic recliner chairs or zero gravity chairs. 

Ergoquest are certainly in the right ball park, their $3000 version isn't a million miles away if they added options for adjustable pedal plate and a steering mount.  Someone should email them and tell them that there's a whole new potential market that could open up for them if they tweaked their designs ;-)

BTW a while back I did some playing around in VR with iRacing trying to get a good F1 driving position.

I was sitting in regular GT position on my rig then placed a cushion behind my head so that my head was pointing down towards my wheel and pedals and then in the cameraeditor  tool I changed the P value so that the VR horizon matched my real world eye level.  It felt perfect once you got driving off at speed in the F1 car, but if you drove slowly and looked out the side of the car it tricked my brain into thinking I was moving downhill when I wasn't - it was a really weird sensation but cool :-)

16 hours ago, SteveS said:

Thirsty, I agree it's a great design challenge. Just bolting on a standard seat and tilting it back is a design compromise, the angle of the back rest and the thigh support really needs to change in addition to the head support which is why the seat had 6 adjustable hinge points.

As you lay back F1 style the pedals move forward & higher in relationship to the wheel position. The wheel rim also needs to rotate to a new angle...

Anyone seriously thinking about a race seat which supports both positions should research ergonomic recliner chairs or zero gravity chairs. 

Thanks Steve... I will have to have a look into recliner chair and zero gravity chairs...