Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIY - 80-20 Rig with triple monitor integration

58 posts in this topic

As many of you know, I designed & built a steel tube rig which required welding and have enjoyed the rig for a number of years.

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/8365-my-diy-sim-rig-simple-metal-fabrication-tripple-monitors-plans-available-on-request/page-2#entry182988

Today I adapted the design to be built using 8020 aluminium extrusion.

If anyone wants the custom hardware brackets, then contact me.

Enjoy the design... I hope it inspires someone to build this! I choose light weight 2" * 1" extrusion to form box sections where the strength is required...

3QuarterView.JPG

3QuarterView2.JPG

3QuarterViewClose.JPG80-20-SimRig.JPG

Agree you were sent the sneak peak version!

Next time I have a good health day I'm going to work on adjustable wheel mounting system for Fanatec, Thrustmaster, Accuforce and OSW wheel base, try to come up with some common adjustment parts for all wheel bases. Then when people upgrade its a simple matter of switching a few parts.

It looks awesome. It's a great design and i love the brackets and the wheel mounting design, I might even consider buying that. I have had a 8020  rig for a couple of years now and from the experience i've had with that, i think your design is a bit too small. Mine is 1500 mm long and 600 mm wide and even that is a bit on the small side. But then again, with 8020 you're very flexible in that regard.

3QuarterViewClose.JPG

Very nice work.  I have an Obutto chair/rig, and was looking to make a triple monitor mount from 8020 materials to mount to the existing single monitor mounting plate they provide.  I want/need the monitors to fold in perpendicular to the main monitor mount when not in use, to not take up so much space.  If it could pivot and have a pin to lock it into place at the 45/60 degree position when in use, then remove the pin to fold it 90 degrees and pin it into place, that would be awesome!  

Just to clarify, when I say much better than something else I saw recently, I should have said: much better than someone else's I saw recently and then got very angry about a week or two back. Only for Steve to calm me down. Haha!!

But the sneak peak version was just as cool. I'm excited I hope people build this!!!

Thank you TSFC, Thisty, Albert, O8GV8. It was a fun few hours being creative.

@Albert thank you. When I designed my metal welded version I was trying to make the rig as compact as possible, for me 5'8". As you say it's easy to make it wider and longer. I have now refined the design for the wheel mounting solution, amd some new mounting plates!

@08GV8 allowing the monitors to fold forward is a major challenge because they mount in-front of these brackets. I think I would need to break the outer arms and allow them the pivot backwards... Not hard just requires more thinking about!

Mounting Plates

One of the challenges of DIY is drilling accurate wheel & pedal plates and we often upgrade our systems which result's re-drilling wheel and pedal plates again.

There is no industry standard each company offers unique bolt strategies, often for each product.

So I thought I could design pedal plate & wheel plate that covers the most popular platforms and offer custom laser cut parts OR provide scale drawings on request.

WheelBaseTemplate.JPG

PedalTemplate.JPG

@Thirsty, thank you designing stuff is always lots of fun. First day in many, many months!

@Spooled can you provide drilling pattern, I could not find it on the web site.

Also I could not easily find HPP pedals or Heusinkveld pedals. If anyone can provide these I will add to the drawings.

Just added Accuforce wheel.

I did a little more design refinement and made a mounting system the supports adjustment forward & back & angle adjustment.

3QuarterViewWheelAssemblyOSW.JPG

By switching out the front plate & using a universal base mounting system the same design can be used for Logitec, Thrustmaster, Fanatec, Accuforce,  & OSW.

3QuarterViewWheelAssemblyG27.JPG

3QuarterViewWheelAssemblyAccuforce.JPG

3QuarterViewWheelAssemblyFanatec.JPG

3QuarterViewCloseFanatecFront.JPG

I did a little more design refinement and made a mounting system the supports adjustment forward & back & angle adjustment.

3QuarterViewWheelAssemblyOSW.JPG

Something to consider: If I understand the concept, the forward and backward adjustment will require getting a wrench into those gusset holes.  That's probably going to be difficult in some cases, especially once this assembly is attached to the rig and there are additional rails parallel to it.

I have a thrown-together 80/20 frame holding my wheel and pedals and one of the reasons I avoid making adjustments is because it's such a pain getting to all the screw heads, even with a long ball-end T-wrench.

A couple more random and hard-learned adjustability things, since they're fresh in my mind:

• 80/20 makes drop-in nuts with little rubber handles on them.  These look like a great idea for adding stuff in the middle of a slot, and for example the rubber would keep the nut from sliding/falling while getting the screw into them.  DO NOT USE THEM for any part that will need to be adjustable, because that rubber will make it extremely difficult to loosen and slide the nut.  It grips the slot so you have to push really hard and then it suddenly breaks free and slides too far leaving a black skid mark inside the slot, etc.
  • When considering an adjustable component, look carefully at what parts will be unsupported while making an adjustment.  For example you generally can't pivot 80/20 against a vertical rail without using an actual hinge/pivot part, because if you try to do it with a simple screw and bracket the moment you loosen the screw the bracket will want to fall in the slot.  My pedals and wheel are attached with a bunch of simple L-brackets, and while that basically gives unlimited positioning and angles, in order to change the position or angle I have to loosen so many screws that the entire assembly wants to fall under its own weight.  So then I have to not only position it but also support the entire weight with one hand while also trying to get a wrench into those awkward screws I mentioned.

Absolutely brilliant, congrats Steve, you've done it again :)

While I'm not planning to fully upgrade my 80/20 to such a high end spec, I am very, very interested in your wheel "bracket"/stand tilt/angle adjustment mechanism

Can I buy just the 2 large (red) side plates with the long groove? Would be great if you made parts of this design available from your shop, at some point

I'll probably wait until you complete the wrc shifter as well though, to save on the shipping costs :)

Thank you frapster this is very kind of you. The wheel mounting system is designed for a pretty unique rig I'm working on for a ISRTV member. The 8020 rig was just a fun place to prototype and refine the design.

Currently, I don't plan on building finished versions but I will sell all the unique plate parts in stainless steel or aluminium or mild steel. A friend has a laser cutting machine & waterjet cutting, so he takes care of the production process of the plates.

This weekend has been the first time in many months the brain has been clear enough to design anything! 

You should think about just building a freestanding triple monitor stand instead of integrating it into the chassis. Especially with a strong DD wheel mounted, possibly simvibe? Those monitors are gonna vibrate. Plus with freestanding you can adjust your viewing distance much easier, can help obtain optimal FOV

Hi angrydingo, thank you for your suggestions.

I have been using full integrated rig design now for 3 plus years with G27, Thrustmaster & Fanatec wheel base. My seat is electric from BMW car and I have a wheel & pedal assembly which moves forward/backward so having the screen fixed is honestly not an issue with vibration or adjustment.

But agree 100% that if I mounted a big heavy duty OSW system you might be correct, plus this design is rather light weight for a big expensive DD.

One of the key aspects of this design was to try to keep the costs low, so integrating the monitor stand into the rig is cost effective.

Below shows a 8020 stand for 42" mointors, I designed for another project. What I dislike about free standing monitor mounts is the base needs to be pretty long when mounting large monitors. Plus the stand ends up getting moved so you are forced to keep adjusting. Stands attached to the rig move with the rig and rarely need adjustment.

SeparateMonitorStand.JPG