Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fanatec Clubsport V3's Price Just Jumped $130?!

32 posts in this topic

Been dreaming about owning the V3's since I saw the release video the say it came out and decided to do something about it. So I went on my local Buy, Swap Sell site and posted an add offering car detailing for people. I've done about 8 cars and worked my ass off saving up for these pedals and then I finally finish my last 2 cars today and go to order them and they've gone from $380 AU to 494.80 AU overnight!!! WHAT! Someone please inform me about what's going on, I'm pretty p*****d off! :(

Edit - Just realized that basically their whole range has jumped up by around 30%! Looks like I'm no longer buying my Shifter SQ and V3's :(

Ahhh, not good news! That really bloody sucks mate, I was really looking forward to ordering my V3's tonight! :( Thanks for giving me an insight into why the prices have increased. Cheers stig!

I've ordered CSP v3 on 6/19/15 for 300$ and they are still 300$ after almost 3 month... 

So whatever affected AU is not affecting US

Price in the US: $ 300,00 ?

Price in Europe: € 359,95 (!)

Same thing in Canada the last few months. Just ordered my v3 pedals on friday and paid $549.99 CDN, wheel base also now went up to $899.99 CDN along with everything else they make. CSL seat I bought in July just went up $50 this week I noticed when ordering pedals. Really annoying! but have no choice for Fanatec.

Fanatec really needs to figure something out. Not being able to buy stuff for months at a time, then finally when products are released after waiting who knows how long and saving the price is increased.

Love their gear but stock and price makes people change their minds. Not me purhaps but many other people. How many bought Thrustmaster stuff because they didn't want to wait months for Fanatec stuff only to have the price go up even higher? IMO they're directly responsible for probably 1/4 of Thrustmaster sales last 6 months. Luckilly I've always put my work bonuses aside and half my setup is paid for by that.

Don't know what is worse¿ the constant price increases while you're saving for the stuff, or the folks who backordered something out of stock then were told we'll upgrade you to Vx but you'll have to wait months and the release date is vauge, which means if you didn't have pedals or something you have nothing and can't drive sim? Did I mention the Xbox hub is $499.99 CDN, WTF? We can handle even 50-100 vs. the unlicensed hub but $200 more?

Something needs to change, Their gear is exceptional and pretty to even look at. Clearly you can see the passion Fanatec has for their gear, but inconsistant prices and if you don't buy now you may have to wait months is nonsense. I suspect it has something to do with sketchy manufacturing contracts etc. where stuff ends up costing Fanatec more then planned and factories who received the contracts had issues meeting quality or units made, which made things take way longer and cost more. The exchange rates I don't think are 100% at fault.

I feel for you Aussies, besides Fanatec and exchange rate you guys seem to get screwed on everything from photoshop to sim racing gear, hopefully beer or something at least is cheap over there to give you folks a break.

In principal Fanatec is calculating prices "right" here in europe but they fail when you compare it to what for example Thrustmaster is doing with their prices. Thrustmaster prices in Europe are higher than in America but usually the price is 1€ equals 1$.

For example the new upcoming Thrustmaster packages cost 469.99 both in euros and dollars. Fanatec CSW V2 is 600$ in America but in Europe its 750€ so the Thrustmaster products here in Europe has much more better value for money ratio than Fanatec.

I never thought of Thrustmasters sales that way, but after hearing it I'd have to say that I agree with a 1/4 of their sales being from Fanatec basically screwing potential customers over :/ I've sent an email to Fanatec regarding the price increase across their product page and am looking forward to what explanation they give, if they even do give one! I understand that obviously they have to stay profitable but a 30% increase across the entire range doesn't seem feasible. I am swinging towards the TH8A after the price increase, but currently thrustmaster doesn't have anything that interests' me in terms of pedals, now it's a choice between the ProtoSimTech PT1's and the V3's. I'm even considering upgrading my wheel to a second hand thrustmaster T500/300/TX after the price increase of the V3's as it's really pushing my budget now!

Well, if you are happy to buy piece of plastic than go ahead and buy thrustmaster. Just don't compare these two. If anything it's logitech who are in same level as thrustamster.

Thrustmaster milking US market has nothing to do with price increase of fanatec. They retail in my country only $120 over amazon US price, which is completely insane! The only problem here is fanatecs bad pr/marketing people. I mean really bad. They brought themselves into this by going lower than they could from the beginning, therefore they would lose US market if they set same number in $ as it is in euros just because of the initial price. On the other side everyone would be happy in EU not understanding it.

And also fanatec is selling their products by themselves, which inevitably complicates everything. 

I'll give you an example from where I live. 

On a pedals I payed $59 VAT and had tax exempt because it was classified as "personal", I would have to add tax if it was commercial.

I'm not in US so I cannot give you exact number including VAT in US, but it was the same number as in euros for me.

In any case it's your decision where to spend your money. It's easier for me as I always have a 10-20% higher markup than EU over US prices. Easier as in I don't look too much in these differences, it is what it is, can blame only our government for that.

I have not used thrustmaster so I cannot actually give any feedback how it compares to fanatec. But if I didn't have the money for it I would settle for something cheaper, don't be that broke ass student with latest iphone :)

Or buy used gear, which I almost did but seller backed out last minute :/

Nothing wrong with that, I got used b&w 704 for half the price and I think that it was my best purchase in 30 years.

I've tried the Fanatec GT2 RS and I thought it kinda sucked, the wheel felt really heavy and dampened and the engine vibration feature was terrible, I assume you can turn that off though? The CSR Elite pedals were nice though, although the brake pedal wasn't smooth, kinda notchy, I'm not sure how to explain it :P I would settle for something cheaper but there's no good set of pedals with a degressive clutch and load cell brake for cheap unfortunately, so upgrading from my Logitech G25 pedals with my DIY "foam cell" mod wouldn't be worth it IMO, I do get what you're saying though! :P I've always bought my gear used, every single piece of equipment on my rig is second hand, including every component of my PC! The new pedals will be my first brand new piece of hardware haha! Nice set of speakers though, B&W are beautiful, can't decide whether I prefer the sound of those or the Paradigm Studio 60's :D

I've no engine vibration on csw, there's an ABS vibration setting tho. Which is actually kinda helpful as a stop marker to prevent you from locking tires, needs adjustment per car. 

I've had what you called notchy brake pedal, that was gone after few days of usage. I'd say it was me getting from potentiometer that created that feeling. 

The wheel is also heavy and in comparison to g27 - extremely heavy. It is smoother and on contrary what people say it did made me faster. It's more precise and much easier to steer. I do think that similar would be achieved with g27 mod for bigger rim, however the grinding sound did make me crazy :)

p.s. Depending on your musical preferences one of the manufacturers will blow your mind away. However I felt like b&w could nail every music genre :)

But 680 and CM series are each for specific genres imo. The only thing that sounds good on 680s is electronic.

Well it was basically brand new when I tried it, the pedals had only had about 10 hours usage! It has put me off load cells a little, but I figured maybe it was just my mates set :P Haven't actually heard to 680s, would love to though, B&W have such a unique sound though, beautiful sound!

I wasn't sure what you meant by that foam cell. So yeah, if that was your first time trying load cell it is completely understandable. You absolutely need to get used to it! And it is way harder than regular cars we drive... with the weakest spring installed. If anything it reminds me of semi-trailer brakes, which last time I tried was in 2002, which is vague memory by now :)

I think overall it took me around a week to finally get good with braking on load cell and now it's all about muscle memory. And no more locking tires or depressing x3 harder than needed.

If I'd had to rank gear I would say like many that load cell pedals are worth it much, much more than wheel.

Too many times I pressed brakes too hard on g27 potentionmeter and lost time... way more many times than missing apex due to 'inferior' wheel.

Also you should remember that Darin said they are getting their fanatec gear and review should be up this week. So in any case wait for that until your final decision.

Foam cell was just my mod, I bought some furniture floor protector things made of dense foam and shoved a bunch of them into the middle of the spring and it actually feels pretty good IMO! Oooo yes, I'm really looking forward to the Fanatec reviews!! At the moment it's just a case of if a nice T500/300/TX pops up for a good price while I'm saving for pedals then I'll buy it, if not then I'll buy pedals when the funds are available! :)

The fact that they take orders in batches, keeping the demand high while making people wait for months to then raise the prices up that much, makes me believe its just a scheme to get as much money as possible from the consumers,knowing full well that many people will still buy their products at the new increased price fearing they might have to wait another 2 or 3 months if they dont. I recently bought a CSW used and intend to do the same for any other Fanatec gear I'd like to own in the future.Not buying anything new from them unless they get their stuff right.

Hmmmm, and they're in a good position to do so as well, IMO they don't have much competition in the products they sell the most, their pedals, just about every third person has a set of clubsports! I would be buying second hand, but as the V3's are new, there are none, and I really want the degressive clutch otherwise I'd just settle for a second hand set of V2's :/

I would agree with that, they've positioned their Clubsport range in a unique position in that gap between the cheaper and high end products and where they have no direct competitors. Can they justify this price hike, sure! If we keep buying their products then why not. Can't really condemn them for trying to make as much money as possible if people are willing to continue to send it there way.

^^^^^^ Exactly! And unfortuntely they will keep selling their products and I doubt the prices are going to come back down :( I did get a reply from Fanatec, here's what they had to say:

Unfortunately the prices are correct. There is no way purchasing at the previous prices.

I can only quote our CEO Thomas Jackermeier: "We had to adapt the prices in Australia because of the exchange rate. For a long time, the australians were paying by far the lowest prices in the world for our products and now we equalized it.
I wish we would have one world currency."

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards

I guess someone with the smarts and time could run the sums. Certainly currency exchange rates may play a part along with local sales taxes, though it's hard not to question the US prices versus the rest of the world as it's undeniably significant.

I'm in the UK so got stung with their European price hikes. Not being a previous Fanatec customer I wasn't able to preorder through an invite and had to wait. If I remember correctly, it was 499 Euros for invite code purchases, then overnight, 749 Euros when it became available for everybody else. Their other products went up at the same time.

Let's be practical, currency rebalancing is only a small part here. In my opinion most of this is simply because they can. Lets face it, the US in most things benefits from lower prices for the same stuff than the rest of the world.

Yep, I didn't have much choice other than not all and sucking in my man tears and selling a kidney. I jest of course, for me the CSW2 was part of a raft of other sim racing purchases including a rig. Overall the whole thing was quite costly in a short space of time, so the wheelbase price seemed oddly acceptable during this brief spell of spending madness.

Everything in AU is expensive... There was long time ago post on some tech forum that to buy full adobe suite it would be cheaper to fly to US, stay for few days and come back rather than buying it locally.

I like to believe that price increase is also due to somewhat quality product, although there have been reports that contradict this statement.

But without actual numbers it is impossible to get a picture on this.

Not seeing a lot of fanatec on ebay is also kinda good, as it assures you longevity and again quality. 

The next thing after fanatec would be accuforce, by my guess. It retails for 1.8K + the software? So the fanatec  kinda comes on top of them still.

The pedals could be trickier actually. The PT-1 was one of those praised a lot I think. Their price is currently $419, of course back orders and wait... but not like I didn't wait almost 2 month for csp :D

From the few reviews I would look towards PT1 just for the superb adjustability vs fanatecs! I was really sad that I couldn't adjust the throw on gas with too many reviews in my had about other products I was sure fanatec had that option! Overall I'm used to the gas and my only con for the pedals would their heel rest plate... who thought raising it so high was a good idea... I would love lower angle on them but than the edge of it annoys the hell out of me when it goes into my foot. Need to reduce by cm or play in shoes :/

Overall the blame could be placed on both logitech and thrustmaster too. They got a lot more strength to enter that mid-range market and yet they chose to proceed with plastic.

We here in Europe went through all these emotions and discussions in April, but all is back to normal now, you just had a fortune (or misfortune for those who missed out) for another half a year of low pricing.

http://www.virtualr.net/euro-exchange-rate-forces-fanatec-price-hike

(and there's a big discussion here somewhere)

V3's are ok. Can only compare them to my old DIY pedals and they are just a tad better/more solid. I did try V1s and v2s for a bit in the past, i guess it's a natural progression/step up, with the clutch feature and 90kg lc, but i wouldn't mind a higher number, as i am used to my own 150kg. Overall - good