Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Downloading Demo Now

15 posts in this topic

It'll probably be another hour--12.67 GB

I hope the force feedback (FF) is improved.

Overall I like the physics in FM5, though over-braking into turns is often a little too forgiving.

I ran a few career races in FM5 last night (poor Xbox One hadn't been turned on for months). The FF still feels off--for most cars there's not much feedback around the center, feeling "weak" for the first 20-30 degrees either way. If you turn up the FF strength, it helps the center feel, but once you hit the 30-degree "threshold" it's way too strong, and the FF will often take over and usually force the car into severe oversteer, and twist fingers if you don't let go of the wheel.

After Project CARS release, I'm hoping the FF has been "re-engineered" in FM6. Let's see if the demo shows any promise.

I am downloading it too. I have a real love for forza! only reason I purchased an xbox one.

Same here. After enjoying hours and hours of career and league races in FM3 & 4, like you, FM5 was the reason I purchased an Xbox One. However, I waited a year before making the purchase (along with the Thrustmaster TX and accessories). I just couldn't stay with it because of the screwed up FF, especially after experiencing good FF on the PC. Also, it just doesn't feel as "robust" as the previous versions.

What's weird is that the FF in Forza Horizon 2 actually feels a little better--more feel around the center without the sudden FF increase as you steer beyond that 30-degree threshold.

For the most part, I've probably used my Xbox One less than 200 hours in the past eight months, while I've played through several additional titles on the Xbox 360 that were either free or discounted on Xbox Live. There's just so much more available on the 360 platform. However, after playing through several FPS titles on the PC at 60fps or better at 1080p, I'm much more sensitive to the 360's slower frame rates.

To me, the Xbox One seems like a slight upgrade, but with a limited library of original titles, and most of it's impressive titles are reworked "HD" versions of older titles.

If someone didn't own a console and asked me what they should purchase, I'd likely recommend the Xbox 360 over the Xbox One. Maybe my opinion will change in the next year or two as more impressive titles are released.

FM6 Demo download at 67%...

After driving the Subaru BRZ in FM5 last night, I started with the Toyota 86 in FM6. I'm happy to report that the force feedback is much stronger and more realistic.

I've turned all assists off, and set he AI difficulty to Pro. The "Drivatar" AI system is still in use--what I refer to personally as the "Drivaretard" system (I only use the last part of that word to refer to this AI--it should never be used to refer to someone that's coping with physical or mental conditions). Even with aggression turned off, I've been punted off several times, including mid-way down a straightaway, while not changing my line and only one Drivaretard coming up on my right rear fender, then changing its' line into me. I've also experienced the "rant-inducing" sudden braking--when entering a straightaway,  after passing the apex, and the Drivaretard car in front of you does a hard lock up... when it's on a good line, and there's NOTHING in front of it.

After the first introductory race in the new Ford GT, I started the carreer with the three-race qualifying at Lime Rock and Yas Marina at night, then an Indy Car special event at Indianapolis, then back to  qualifying at Sebring in the rain.

The rain is impressive. I think the grip is about right, and the car behaves in a realistic way when you hit one of the large pools of water (I live where we can have "lakes" standing on some streets)..

Also, the graphics quality and fps is definitely much improved.

However, what I dislike about the Forza series career mode still appears to be there. No "full race weekend" feature where you can practice and qualify, you're started in the middle or back of the starting grid, and only two to five lap races. For a title on a console that looks and drives so well, I find it ridiculous that they still don't include this feature. You either have to "practice" while repeatedly restarting a race, or you exit out of the career mode and run hot or tuning laps.

The middle to back grid placement, with only two to five laps to pass 10 to 14 other cars is the utterly DUMBEST thing ever I've seen in a racing title. It causes "drivers" to develop the worst possible driving skills and race etiquette. Though even with "pro" Drivaretards, an experienced driver can still finish first, and even get on the tail of first or second by the end of the first lap, this setup practically forces most drivers to dive the inside on turns, and usually just smack the crap out of the other cars.

C'mon Turn 10. Get a clue. I know it's a "console" title,  but with everything else that's brilliant about Forza (except for the Drivaretards) it seems you would have noticed how Project CARS is structured, and at least provided the option for full race weekends and more laps in each race. Not only does it help develop drivers' skills, but it also provides more of a good thing--more driving and racing while experiencing the physics and graphics that Forza delivers.

I hate that there is no field of view adjustment. For me the game doesn't look much different than forza 5 in graphics but the physics felt slightly better. After playing pc games on ultra and always over 60 fps the games on xbox one look dated. Having said that I will purchase the forza game and probably have a blast with other friends that play it.

We just ran some of it and the FFB definitely feels better to me. The rain effects at Sebring are really cool . We're going to produce a test drive of it today racing at Lime Rock. 

We also have the full version downloading and will get to post the first two hours of the career mode Friday morning !!  We'll also get to post some driving videos at a few other tracks. Stay tuned !

I downloaded and played the Forza 6 demo this morning. It is one of the best demos I have ever played, racing or non-racing game. The demo starts with a race in the 2017 Ford GT at Rio. All assists are forced on and so its not much of a race. After that, the demo has a 3 race qualifying series. There is a selection of around 6 cars, including a Subaru Imprezza, Mazda MX-7 and a Honda S2000. I picked the Subaru. I also switched off most of the assists. The first race is at Lime Rock in the day. The second race is at Yas Marina at night and the final race is at Sebring in the rain. The demo also gives you an option to sample a "showcase event", which is the IndyCar at Indy oval. Once you finish these races, the demo finishes and it apparently unlocks the ability to replay the demo but also do some sort of rivals racing. I had to go to work at this point and so I was not able to race any further.

Overall, the game looks very sharp graphically. The FPS seems to be solid at 60 FPS. I did not notice any stuttering, nor did I notice any slowdown with a bunch of traffic. There is a noticeable amount of aliasing, but its not as pronounced as Forza 5. The cars look amazing, both the exterior views as well as the cockpits. The rain drops look very realistic, as does the wet track surface and the puddles. 

The FFB and physics are quite good. I was getting plenty of oomth with my TX wheel and I definitely was getting plenty of feeling through the wheel as far as what the car was doing. Turn 10 has apparently added a fair amount of center spring to the FFB compared to Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2. I could feel every curb and rough track surface.

The AI seems more tame compared to the crazy drivatars in Forza 5. I played at the Pro skill level. I blew past them as Indy, I definitely need to up the difficulty for that race. In the other races the AI would catch me if I made a mistake while in the lead.

If you have an Xbox One, you should definitely try out the demo. Its good fun and has confirmed that Forza 6 is going to be an amazing racing game. September 10 cannot arrive soon enough for me.

To follow up what Darin said, here's are test drive.  

I went through a range of emotions with the driving yesterday.  First it was "awesome" and I could win races in Pro.  Then the car started to become really unstable under braking and I was trying to catch myself into every corner...which didn't really work.  It was odd.  Honestly need to spend more time with it.  Not sure if it's me or the game.

http://www.isrtv.com/forza-motorsport/forza-motorsport-6-demo-test-drive/#disqus_thread

To follow up what Darin said, here's are test drive.  

I went through a range of emotions with the driving yesterday.  First it was "awesome" and I could win races in Pro.  Then the car started to become really unstable under braking and I was trying to catch myself into every corner...which didn't really work.  It was odd.  Honestly need to spend more time with it.  Not sure if it's me or the game.

http://www.isrtv.com/forza-motorsport/forza-motorsport-6-demo-test-drive/#disqus_thread

I would agree that  Forza's physics still aren't the best. There's moments where it's brilliant, then suddenly things can get weird. I often notice that it can be a little forgiving if you brake very late and hard into a turn. It's often too easy to recover and get back on your line. Other times, it seems many of the cars can be too quick to rotate or  oversteer, causing an uneasy feeling while trying to push the car.

I went through the demo again last night. At Sebring in the rain, with the same car (Toyota 86), I was getting a strange and very strong "torque steer" feeling when starting. The car would pull hard to the left, even though the car is rear-wheel drive. I don't remember that effect from the first pass. I don't know if it had something to do with the wet track surface, but it was too much, annoying, and distracting.

I found I could control the car much better with my TX wheel if I used Normal, not SImulation steering.  I also made sure that I had 900 degrees of rotation, not the default 540 degrees of rotation.  I nonetheless still have trouble competing at Sebring in the pouring rain on pro difficulty.  Its just so difficult to understand what the car is going to do.

I also turned off the in race music.  Its too distracting.  I need to better hear the engine noise.

I found I could control the car much better with my TX wheel if I used Normal, not SImulation steering.  I also made sure that I had 900 degrees of rotation, not the default 540 degrees of rotation.  I nonetheless still have trouble competing at Sebring in the pouring rain on pro difficulty.  Its just so difficult to understand what the car is going to do.

I also turned off the in race music.  Its too distracting.  I need to better hear the engine noise.

I preferred simulation, but I did increase the degrees of rotation to 900 degrees.

The rain at Sebring definitely makes it a different track in many ways. You just have to learn that "version" of it and know the best lines to get around or through the pools of water. If you have to drive through water, you need to compensate, and let off on the power to get just the right amount of wheel spin to maintain speed and stability. Too much, you get understeer, too little, the car will likely oversteer or spin.

When Sebring is dry, I usually get very close to the right wall near the end of the start/finish straightaway. When it's raining, you can't do that. Get too close to the wall, the right tire grabs on the stranding water, and you're suddenly scraping the paint off the right side of the car--as you lose all your speed.

I've placed second at Sebring in the rain with the AI at pro. After another try or two, I'll probably get first.

Overall, I think it's a "groundbreaking" feature for race simulators. As far as I know, no other current simulator has pooling water with such a drastic, and mostly realistic affect on the car. I've been in real-life driving situations where I've had to compensate or react to a hydroplaning wheel or two. My Mazda originally came with track tires, and just a little bit of standing water would cause it to break loose. I also had an '88 Formula Fiero (the good one), and a time or two, while pushing it really hard. the front end just started gliding. In either case, hydroplaning in a car with such a short wheel base can definitely get your heart going.

...and yes, the race music is ridiculous. It's usually the first thing I turn off when starting up a new title.

I chose the little Honda SR2000 because I had seen one the exact same color in a parking light that morning and have a friend who loves his.  Looked like it'd be fun to drive.  I was wrong.  I ended up trying to get through each event as if I had to because it was my job or something.  I can't explain it, but I wasn't playing it because I wanted to or at least that was how it felt.  I didn't enjoy it for the most part.

I'm not going to bash the game because there were some parts of the demo that were fun (lapping the entire field at Indy did make me smile like a lunatic), but it just felt like Horizon 2 on a track.  I don't like Horizon 2, I enjoyed FM5 an awful lot, but the honest truth is that ProjectCARS is the benchmark for me right now and FM6 falls short based on the demo. 

Driving through the puddles felt scarily realistic, but I hate the way that the FFB feels.  The graphics were rock solid, but my son and I both agreed that when the cars were a bit in the distance they looked extremely 2D and almost cartoonish.  Most of the environment looks beautiful; it reminds me of the first time I played FarCry on PC; I was blown away by the environment, but wasn't because of the sheer realism, but because it was just so pretty. 

The single biggest laugh I got was when this buttmunch named DarinSRT clipped me from behind and put me off the track.  :mrgreen:   That was funny.  I also laughed when I beat StellaSTIG's lap time on Indy.   I've got like three friends on xBox and those are two of them so I imagine that is why they were either in the game or referenced; that was cool even if it was just their drivatars.

The cars just feel numb.  With PCARS I can get into a car I've never driven, go to a track that I've never heard of and drive for hours to learn the combination and it's enjoyable.  After a few hours I am pretty competitive.  With the Forza stuff I feel like I have to change the way that I drive completely in order to even get around a lap cleanly.  With PCARS it feels like I'm driving a car, but just learning the environment.

I also hate the whole mod pack thing.  I don't get it, but more importantly it seems like in order to be even remotely competitive that you are going to need to know how to stack "fake" crap together to be able to get anywhere.  I just find that if I even think that the cars aren't at least semi-equal or I suspect that the other guy has a better build or tune that I end up spending hours trying to dial in my car where as with PCARS I can usually just go with the default tune and enjoy it.  At a minimum it's driveable.    With the Forza stuff it seems like half the cars never should have passed road worthiness until you invest a lot of time upgrading and tweaking.  I mean would a Honda SR2000 in real life go sideways every time you downshift without blipping the hell out of the throttle?  I doubt it.

Fortunately I wasn't really anticipating this with baited breath.  I was curious because I do love racing games, but like I said I'm thrilled with PCARS right now and after I quit FM6 I spent about 4 hours with the new RUF on Willow Springs getting it handed to me for about 3 of those 4 hours.  But even though I had to learn the track and get used to the car because I never tried either I felt like it was me that was the problem and I worked on "me" the whole time and figured it out.  I could feel what I was doing wrong and learned.  With the Forza stuff I don't even know where to begin with trying to put together a good lap because I feel disconnected.

I chose the little Honda SR2000 because I had seen one the exact same color in a parking light that morning and have a friend who loves his.  Looked like it'd be fun to drive.  I was wrong.  I ended up trying to get through each event as if I had to because it was my job or something.  I can't explain it, but I wasn't playing it because I wanted to or at least that was how it felt.  I didn't enjoy it for the most part.

I'm not going to bash the game because there were some parts of the demo that were fun (lapping the entire field at Indy did make me smile like a lunatic), but it just felt like Horizon 2 on a track.  I don't like Horizon 2, I enjoyed FM5 an awful lot, but the honest truth is that ProjectCARS is the benchmark for me right now and FM6 falls short based on the demo. 

Driving through the puddles felt scarily realistic, but I hate the way that the FFB feels.  The graphics were rock solid, but my son and I both agreed that when the cars were a bit in the distance they looked extremely 2D and almost cartoonish.  Most of the environment looks beautiful; it reminds me of the first time I played FarCry on PC; I was blown away by the environment, but wasn't because of the sheer realism, but because it was just so pretty. 

The single biggest laugh I got was when this buttmunch named DarinSRT clipped me from behind and put me off the track.  :mrgreen:   That was funny.  I also laughed when I beat StellaSTIG's lap time on Indy.   I've got like three friends on xBox and those are two of them so I imagine that is why they were either in the game or referenced; that was cool even if it was just their drivatars.

The cars just feel numb.  With PCARS I can get into a car I've never driven, go to a track that I've never heard of and drive for hours to learn the combination and it's enjoyable.  After a few hours I am pretty competitive.  With the Forza stuff I feel like I have to change the way that I drive completely in order to even get around a lap cleanly.  With PCARS it feels like I'm driving a car, but just learning the environment.

I also hate the whole mod pack thing.  I don't get it, but more importantly it seems like in order to be even remotely competitive that you are going to need to know how to stack "fake" crap together to be able to get anywhere.  I just find that if I even think that the cars aren't at least semi-equal or I suspect that the other guy has a better build or tune that I end up spending hours trying to dial in my car where as with PCARS I can usually just go with the default tune and enjoy it.  At a minimum it's driveable.    With the Forza stuff it seems like half the cars never should have passed road worthiness until you invest a lot of time upgrading and tweaking.  I mean would a Honda SR2000 in real life go sideways every time you downshift without blipping the hell out of the throttle?  I doubt it.

Fortunately I wasn't really anticipating this with baited breath.  I was curious because I do love racing games, but like I said I'm thrilled with PCARS right now and after I quit FM6 I spent about 4 hours with the new RUF on Willow Springs getting it handed to me for about 3 of those 4 hours.  But even though I had to learn the track and get used to the car because I never tried either I felt like it was me that was the problem and I worked on "me" the whole time and figured it out.  I could feel what I was doing wrong and learned.  With the Forza stuff I don't even know where to begin with trying to put together a good lap because I feel disconnected.

Try it again with the Subaru.  Its much more driveable.  The Honda and Mazda suck.  The Toyota GT-86 was fun, but also more difficult to drive.  They made each car supposedly "equal" as far as PP, but they did not tune all the cars for them to be easy to drive, as they should be in a demo.  

I think that another big part of the problem is the field of view.  It's so far back that it makes me feel like I'm playing a game rather than sitting in the driver's seat.

I'll be sure to check out the Subaru.

I think that another big part of the problem is the field of view.  It's so far back that it makes me feel like I'm playing a game rather than sitting in the driver's seat.

I'll be sure to check out the Subaru.

For me the field of view is way to far back too. I keep switching between cockpit view and bonnet view, I am no sure which one I like more!