Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special: Thrustmaster T500RS First Look & Un-Boxing

89 posts in this topic

Hi Darin.

Sounds interesting, since the marathon race will be documented, video clips will be put to a special ISRT show?

If so, I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.

I don't have GT5 but from what I've seen it looks pretty good.

Keep us posted as to how your team work conquers the GT5 grueling endurance race. :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I an going to buy this wheel so can someone tell me what choices there are for the total degrees of the wheel when you go away from 900? Can I specify anything I want or is it like 360, 270, 180 etc or maybe something like 205 or what ever I punch in? I just think my DFGT wheel is holding me back in the GT Academy qualifyer......... thanks..... Lefty

Hi all,

I'm new here, but it's long time that I watch your episodes. Nice and interesting review, as usual!

Just a quick question on pedals' pots: are this hall effect contactless "pot" or normal pot just like the Logitech?

As far I understand in the official infos it's only clearely written that the Hall Effect sensor is used for the wheel, but nothing about technology used on pedals. From different unofficial info's it seems that normal, even if high quality, contact pots are used for pedals.

Thank You very much.

Marco

Nice Day,

I think we should wait until InsideSimRacing publishes their official review for this wheel, i have doubt that the only promising feature it can deliver is a brutal force feed back with the exception of shifter ofcourse, which Darin himself pointed out on his first impression video.

Thankyou,

In your most recent episode you note, off-handedly, that the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 wheel is "pretty much the best wheel for Grand Turismo 5." Does that include the new Thrustmaster T500 RS? Or are you considering the Thrustmaster as a different class of wheel?

In your most recent episode (95) you note, offhandedly, that the GT2 Fanatec is "pretty much the best wheel for Grand Turismo 5," even though it isn't officially supported. Has that judgment factored in the new Thrustmaster wheel, or were you talking about the best wheel in a particular class?

Lots of folks over at the GTPlanet forum are torn between the two wheels -- especially given that Thrustmaster hasn't yet released much information about the shifter (release date, availability, build specs, connectivity).

Thanks.

In your most recent episode (95) you note, offhandedly, that the GT2 Fanatec is "pretty much the best wheel for Grand Turismo 5," even though it isn't officially supported. Has that judgment factored in the new Thrustmaster wheel, or were you talking about the best wheel in a particular class?

Lots of folks over at the GTPlanet forum are torn between the two wheels -- especially given that Thrustmaster hasn't yet released much information about the shifter (release date, availability, build specs, connectivity).

Thanks.

@Jeff

supposed to be released in June, (they were truthful about PC drivers for end jan, no reason to doubt their June target for shifter). connectivity will be via USB. am sure it will be built like a tank, like the pedals are. no idea on price, but even at $100-150 i don't think it's a major issue. cheaper is always better but not at the sake of quality

@ general statement

i am sick of hearing complaints about price. it's a new product and if you can't afford it, wait for price drop, get second hand or buy something else - they also make the Ferrari wheels, and there are other brands as well. no point in complaining on forums. they are a business and have targets to meet. you don't see nearly as many people complain about the price of some cars

i am loving these wheel and pedals more and more all the time. not much mention of the pedals, but i love the GT mode, build quality is excellent. only con/area of improvement would be an easier hard mounting system, esp for GT mode set up :idea: would also welcome a perfect pedal type mod (at the right price ;)) and ofc hoping/praying for an optional ferrari leather wheel, rubber is still dissapointing - feels like the MS wheel, maybe not as sticky i.e. gets the job done, but certainly missing the wow factor that the rest of the wheel gives me

anyway would be interesting to see SRT review eventually :)

Is there an ETA for the T500RS vid review?

:)

I want the Fanatec for the PC/PS3/Pxbox360 but the website says the ship date for new orders is 4 months out!? I am being selfish and thinking I cannot wait that long so I may want to pickup the Thrustmaster (if available now or in a reasonable amoutn of time).

:D

Just to be clear, I already own the Thrustmaster wheel and like it very much. Darin's several mentions of it -- both on the first impressions video and here in the forum -- have all been very positive. That's why I was surprised to hear he and Shaun say on the show that the GT2 was "pretty much the best wheel for Grand Turismo" -- particularly when the Thrustmaster T500 RS was designed in conjunction with the game and is the higher end official wheel.

Knowing that the guys have had the new Thrustmaster for the better part of a month and hearing them say that the GT2 is the best wheel for Grand Turismo 5 piqued my curiosity: are we talking about different classes of wheels, or is the GT2 best overall for GT5 of all the wheels tested, and if so, why?

he and Shaun say on the show that the GT2 was "pretty much the best wheel for Grand Turismo" -- particularly when the Thrustmaster T500 RS was designed in conjunction with the game and is the higher end official wheel.

i bet that will be a short lived title. the thing they kept harping about was looks, alcantera and multi platform. which is nice but not the most important qualities. I think when they review the T500RS, they will focus more on FFB etc... and will be king of GT5 undoubtedly

Its going to be hard for Darin & Shawn to review this wheel properly with really only GT5 on PS3 working fully yet. On PC okay they can test more games but that's going to be a major drawback on the scoring and value for money.

Thrustmaster need to ensure games like TDU2 and SHIFT 2 release with support or add it shortly after release. That's one of the biggest issues for the wheel and not really it's performance.

Still not in stock at most UK suppliers :cry:

Its going to be hard for Darin & Shawn to review this wheel properly with really only GT5 on PS3 working fully yet. On PC okay they can test more games but that's going to be a major drawback on the scoring and value for money.

Thrustmaster need to ensure games like TDU2 and SHIFT 2 release with support or add it shortly after release. That's one of the biggest issues for the wheel and not really it's performance.

Still not in stock at most UK suppliers :cry:

PC titles on average have better force feedback so in my opinion, it's the place to get a proper review of the wheel done. But, I agree, more games should work with it as well on the PS3.. We know Dirt 3 will include support as we talked to the devs a few weeks ago and they have the T500 to work with.

On the PC, it's AMAZING ! I have been driving it with iRacing mainly the last week or so and it's a really nice wheel.. Im using it with Clubsport pedals at the moment (hooked up separately) and it's a really incredible combo.

Im working the review right now and we'll have it out within a few weeks tops..

Man a few weeks may be too long! lol I found a few places with the T500 RS in stock and I'm just not sure if I should go with it or wait for the GT2. So you guys just did the GT2 review and it was the best ever, is this going to beat it? I know in the unboxing you said it felt more like a high end wheel like a Frex or ECCI, so do you think this is a better wheel over the GT2? Really cost is about the same, although I'm not sure I like the way the T500 RS pedals are, and I think the Club Sports might be better? Of course I've been considering building a set of CST's anyway's.

Please stop by everyday, but not for the GT5 review.. We're working on it still.. Would you rather a review from someone that knows the game front to back, etc.. Or someone that knows it 80% ? Im only 80% complete and everyday i play it, i learn something new. We took almost a year to review iRacing..

The wheel... Is sitting right now as we review the GT2 by Fanatec. It's only myself, Shaun and Tommy part time.. I wish we had an extra 24 hours per day ;-)

Im also working on the GT5 wheel buyers guide, which essentially will be for the PS3 in general as well.

Some other things we have coming.. First look at Dirt 3 next week and first look at NGS Shift 2 the week after that. GT5 final review will probably come sometime in February..

Please be patient and know that the wait is because we want to go as in depth as possible. The game took 5 years to develop, we may take 5 months to review it..(not that long, but we want to finish it.)

well i have to say thats a fair comment you made i understand completely, sorry, its just that you have to know how serious we take your reviews thats why i tend to pressure you guys but tell me. so far, what do you think about the t500 rs is it worth the money compared to the fanatec wheels cause i just got my gt3rs and i have to say darin is a pretty good wheel and not to mention the clubsport pedals they are great and have a pretty realistic feel to them but still im interested in the t500 rs tell me you think the t500 will amaze me as much as the gt3rs did. seriously should i wait for your review to buy that equipment? give a little hint at least should i spend that money and buy that wheel is it much better than the gt3rs cause i will buy it only if im completely confident that its a much much better wheel than the gt3

im desperate to know what to do help me out. again im a true fan of your site you guys do a great job big kiss to jessica and big hug to the guys from dominican republic.

PC titles on average have better force feedback so in my opinion, it's the place to get a proper review of the wheel done. But, I agree, more games should work with it as well on the PS3.. We know Dirt 3 will include support as we talked to the devs a few weeks ago and they have the T500 to work with.

On the PC, it's AMAZING ! I have been driving it with iRacing mainly the last week or so and it's a really nice wheel.. Im using it with Clubsport pedals at the moment (hooked up separately) and it's a really incredible combo.

Thanks for your comments. Although plenty of people have either got, ordered, or want one of these but may only really use consoles. I'm currently in that situation and want to enjoy those games on good hardware. The question is with the new SDK this wheel offers WHY or WHEN are games on Console but also on PC going to have equal options and tuning parameters on the console versions? It's about time console games treated gamers to these options and it's going to be great if the T500 really does get to shine on consoles too. Even GT5 hasn't offered any new options yet but will be interesting to see if that gets updated like Thrustmaster have said.

Just wondering when a full review is coming out, the PC drivers have been out for a while now and I have a itchy trigger finger to buy this wheel. $600 is alot to spend so I want to make sure this wheel is as good as it looks! I'm don't have a Xbox 360, just going to use it on GT5 and possible the computer after I upgrade in the near future. The cost isn't my main concern, it's the quality!!!

Just wondering when a full review is coming out, the PC drivers have been out for a while now and I have a itchy trigger finger to buy this wheel. $600 is alot to spend so I want to make sure this wheel is as good as it looks! I'm don't have a Xbox 360, just going to use it on GT5 and possible the computer after I upgrade in the near future. The cost isn't my main concern, it's the quality!!!

Review will be out tomorrow the 28th. We're almost done with it ! :)