Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special: Thrustmaster T500RS First Look & Un-Boxing

89 posts in this topic

Huh ?? Pure arcade ?? I think not.. NFS Hot Pursuit is pure arcade.. GT5 is a fun driving simulator.. Is it a true racing sim like iRacing, NetKar or LFS..no.. But there's not much better on the console and I've had a lot of fun with it..

Also don't you think you're off topic ? This was about a wheel, not GT5

Yes speaking about the difference between arcade and simulation is off topic but I will try to bring it back on the subject. I am a video game programmer and I also spend some times driving real sport cars (f430, Lamborghini Galardo Superleggera, Audi R8, my wife made me wonderfull presents ;) ) on various circuit while I were in France. That was so awesome and so expensive that I start to interest in simulation and wheels. I read a little bit about maths and tires friction models, it is _very_ tricky mathematics. So this is why games/simulations feel différent : it depends of the physic models used. But once the model is written, it will send some strength, speed and angle data to the wheel. The wheel try to translate these data. The T500rs seems to be a little bit différent : it can process its own behavior with its own processing unit in order to remove some computation from the physic engine and to be more accurate. This could explain why pc drivers should be harder to be provided.

I'm betting there will be a "pure" mode for PC so you don't use any filtering in the internal processor of the T500RS and in time there will most likely be additional SW mods using that processor.

If Xbox support wasn't important to me I would seriously consider the T500RS over the Fanatec GT2. Thing is, I own an Xbox and I play FM3 on it. I plan to play FM4 and might get myself the Xbox version of F1 2010 and Race Pro aswell.

So... choice is simple to me. But to be honest, looking at reviews and videos I might have gone for the T500RS if I didn't own my Xbox. Simply because I can afford the upcost on the GT3 RS v2. I cannot convince myself to pay the price for FREX or ECCI though... so yeah. I think T500RS seems like one heck of a wheel eventhough I ended up buying the GT2.

I tell you that wheel looks sweet to me. Only downside is I didn't here it works with Xbox360. Only PS3 and soon PC. Maybe they will have drivers to work with the XBOX later on. So the two biggest down falls at just looking at the unboxing to me is xbox compatability and the price. Man that's a steep price at $600. I currently ordered and waiting for my Fanatec GT2 clubsport edition from all the great reviews and ultimatly spent the $600 price tag, but I justifed it because I only need one wheel setup on my rig to drive anything out there. Plus the GT2 for the money looks pretty sweet with the alcantra wheel and clubsport pedels. Also when purchasing a high priced wheel I looked at being able to buy parts and it seemed like I could with the Fanatec, not sure about the T500 though just yet. It does look nice though. BTW I'm new here and love the site. Bought my GT2 based mostly on the honesty I was seeing in the reviews from inside racing. :mrgreen:

Maybe they will have drivers to work with the XBOX later on.

A software driver can not enable hardware compatibility only will work with a new branded wheel with additional xbox hardware and with an increased price tag(MS license).

Never will happen with an official wheel developed specially with GT5 in mind.

hello

i can tell you right now darin this wheel is competing with logithecs g27 in price and fanatecs gt3 rs and gt2 in price and functionality but you already know that, so they better do a pretty good job for anybody to pay 160 dollars more, without the shifter to compete with fanatec wheels. i mean come on they have the same belt mechanism as the fanatec wheels. cause they have one more engine added to the wheel it cost 160 more i think the price is abusive and is not even a complete package im not gonna talk about how this wheel works cause your review hasnt come out yet but, like i said i can tell you right now for the price, they must be delivering the best wheel for consoles today bro if they dont deliver as such they better get ready for whats coming cause any inteligent customer will never buy a thrustmaster product in his life.

and bro your killing us here i check the page every day to see if the gt5 review part 2 and the review for this wheel is out pleaseeeeee finish those reviews already( im not saying your doing a bad job ) :) i think you guys do an awsome job but finish the review already. oh and any errors on my typing is cause i dont speak english pretty good grettings from dominican republic.

hello

i can tell you right now darin this wheel is competing with logithecs g27 in price and fanatecs gt3 rs and gt2 in price and functionality but you already know that, so they better do a pretty good job for anybody to pay 160 dollars more, without the shifter to compete with fanatec wheels. i mean come on they have the same belt mechanism as the fanatec wheels. cause they have one more engine added to the wheel it cost 160 more i think the price is abusive and is not even a complete package im not gonna talk about how this wheel works cause your review hasnt come out yet but, like i said i can tell you right now for the price, they must be delivering the best wheel for consoles today bro if they dont deliver as such they better get ready for whats coming cause any inteligent customer will never buy a thrustmaster product in his life.

and bro your killing us here i check the page every day to see if the gt5 review part 2 and the review for this wheel is out pleaseeeeee finish those reviews already( im not saying your doing a bad job ) :) i think you guys do an awsome job but finish the review already. oh and any errors on my typing is cause i dont speak english pretty good grettings from dominican republic.

Please stop by everyday, but not for the GT5 review.. We're working on it still.. Would you rather a review from someone that knows the game front to back, etc.. Or someone that knows it 80% ? Im only 80% complete and everyday i play it, i learn something new. We took almost a year to review iRacing..

The wheel... Is sitting right now as we review the GT2 by Fanatec. It's only myself, Shaun and Tommy part time.. I wish we had an extra 24 hours per day ;-)

Im also working on the GT5 wheel buyers guide, which essentially will be for the PS3 in general as well.

Some other things we have coming.. First look at Dirt 3 next week and first look at NGS Shift 2 the week after that. GT5 final review will probably come sometime in February..

Please be patient and know that the wait is because we want to go as in depth as possible. The game took 5 years to develop, we may take 5 months to review it..(not that long, but we want to finish it.)

Please stop by everyday, but not for the GT5 review.. We're working on it still.. Would you rather a review from someone that knows the game front to back, etc.. Or someone that knows it 80% ? Im only 80% complete and everyday i play it, i learn something new. We took almost a year to review iRacing..

Are you serious about finishing GT5 100% before reviewing it? Are you really going to do the 24 hour endurance races? I'm 86% complete but I get the feeling it going to take me twice as long to get the last 14% than it did the first 86%.

Are you serious about finishing GT5 100% before reviewing it? Are you really going to do the 24 hour endurance races? I'm 86% complete but I get the feeling it going to take me twice as long to get the last 14% than it did the first 86%.

Yeah.. Im serious.. With some help from Shaun, Tommy and some other friends, I'll do the endurance races.. We may review it before I get there, but Im going to 100%. I've come too far not to..

Nice day,

Good luck Darin Gangi for some long torturing drive on screen monitor, i may say yes driving Lemans 24hours on real life, but on Gt5? what keep's you awake is the Tr500. :D

Most Thrustmaster products are high quality, so no doubt the same ethos with the construction build of this wheel. Luvved the 1080 hi-res quality of the vid....hope you bring hi res to all episodes and reviews in the future. :)

Cheers

macka

24 hours straight of GT5 for one race? or is it compressed time, something like 24 hours in 2 hours or so?

If it's really 24 hours (uncompressed)

Darin, you better stock up on Redbull or Monster or whatever energy drink you prefer for this challenge.

Hell, I wouldn't want to do something that feels good for 24 hours straight. ;)

Well, if you take up this challenge rest assured the fans of ISRT including myself will be cheering you on! :)

"Darin Gangi he's the man, if anyone can do 24 hours of GT5, he surely can, GO DARIN! Rah Rah ZimboomBah"

Come on everyone, join in..... Darin's gonna need all the encouragement he can muster for this marathon.

LOL .

Darin after the 1st hour :D

Darin after the 6th hour :)

Darin after the 12th hour :?

Darin after the 18th hour :cry:

Darin after at the 24th hour :shock:

Good luck Darin! :)

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

24 hours straight of GT5 for one race? or is it compressed time, something like 24 hours in 2 hours or so?

If it's really 24 hours (uncompressed)

Darin, you better stock up on Redbull or Monster or whatever energy drink you prefer for this challenge.

Hell, I wouldn't want to do something that feels good for 24 hours straight. ;)

Well, if you take up this challenge rest assured the fans of ISRT including myself will be cheering you on! :)

"Darin Gangi he's the man, if anyone can do 24 hours of GT5, he surely can, GO DARIN! Rah Rah ZimboomBah"

Come on everyone, join in..... Darin's gonna need all the encouragement he can muster for this marathon.

LOL .

Darin after the 1st hour :D

Darin after the 6th hour :)

Darin after the 12th hour :?

Darin after the 18th hour :cry:

Darin after at the 24th hour :shock:

Good luck Darin! :)

Take care

The nice thing about video games is that you can press the Pause button. :P

The nice thing about video games is that you can press the Pause button. :P

Huh? but that's cheating, a Sim is to simulate the real thing, 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour, 24 hours to a endurance race in GT5?

Darin, when you go to pick up the energy drinks for the marathon, don't forget to get the catheter and a bottle of Pepto Bismol. :lol:

GO Darin GO.... w00p w00p. :)

Take care

Yeah.. Im serious.. With some help from Shaun, Tommy and some other friends, I'll do the endurance races.. We may review it before I get there, but Im going to 100%. I've come too far not to..

Forgive me for being off topic but I just wonder if you knew what kind of commitment you have to make to reach 100%. Maybe all three of you start playing the same game would help.

I really like the RPG element in GT5 but whoever design the leveling system needs to be fired. It's the worst leveling system I've seen since there are levels you get absolutely nothing. (Level 29,31,34,36-39) Even MMORPG like WOW gives you a little something with each level.

Now I'm at level 32 A-spec but I have to say the grind is starting to get to me.(Next level is over 1.3 million) Endurance races gives me the most experience per hour but no more cash than the much shorter races. (So if you want cars avoid endurance races.)

From what I've read in other forums to get from level 35 to level 40 to unlock the last event you have to run in the Le man 24 hours at least 6 times(IIRC). That's 144 hours with no reward in between. That's insane. It would have been a lot more bearable and make more sense to open up a endurance race per level. (top level would be 33)

Going for 100% would really put this new wheel to the test.

Huh? but that's cheating, a Sim is to simulate the real thing, 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour, 24 hours to a endurance race in GT5?

Darin, when you go to pick up the energy drinks for the marathon, don't forget to get the catheter and a bottle of Pepto Bismol. :lol:

GO Darin GO.... w00p w00p. :)

Take care

Cheating? You're expecting him to do that 24H endurance by himself. In real life, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is raced by a minimum of 3 drivers per team, with a maximum of 4 straight hours at a time per driver. So yeah, a sim is supposed to simulate the real thing. So Darin should take a break every 4 or so hours.

Cheating? You're expecting him to do that 24H endurance by himself. In real life, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is raced by a minimum of 3 drivers per team, with a maximum of 4 straight hours at a time per driver. So yeah, a sim is supposed to simulate the real thing. So Darin should take a break every 4 or so hours.

Psssstttttt Hynad..... I'll let you in on a little secret.......

I was joking, just a little attempt at humor. :)

Take care

Psssstttttt Hynad..... I'll let you in on a little secret.......

I was joking, just a little attempt at humor. :)

Take care

It's fun to see Canadians explaining their sarcasm to each other.

not to beat a dead horse ....

I just wanted to put in my vote that the wheel is overpriced BUT the reason this ticks me is the fact that they didn't offer something mid-ranged ... most people playing GT5 who are not using a controller are using a DFGT... even a g25 is too expensive for the majority of players...and with the g25/27 the next step up --- and between the 2 price points why is it not fully supported and in game

but instead of offering something of simply higher quality than DFGT (for the majority of us) they went way overboard ...and I'm not saying something like this shouldn't be available to those who can afford it .... but

my point is this is clearly not aimed at the average consumer if it costs more than the ps3 and the game itself...

Good point Wedge.

For myself, I am still waiting for my Fanatec GT2 CS package, but this Thrustmaster wheel has caught my eye but with reservations. For me personally, I have no use for a wheel that doesn't support the PC platform and the T500RS doesn't yet so before I even start looking at this thing seriously, it will have to mature some with a few firmware updates and some seriously good PC driver support. When ISRT can recommend this wheel based on the PC platform by it working fantastically on iRacing, rFactor (rFactor 2 possibly by then?), the Simbin titles, LFS, and games like Grid, Dirt 2 and 3, NFS Shift 1 and 2 and so on, then I'll look at this wheel more seriously. I've not fired up my PS3 in roughly 5 months and don't plan to any time soon (Triple screens on the PC have spoiled me rotten :) )

The wheel and pedal set do look interesting and look like they are built like a Sherman tank, so with any luck, as time goes on (Let's say at least 6 months to mature) and Thrustmaster gets over the GT5 frenzy occurring right now, they'll have time to spend making it work well on the PC, that's when I'll start really paying attention to this wheel set.

I personally think Thrustmaster has a possible winner on their hands here, I hope they can deliver for us PC users.

Agreed, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a PS3 only platform wheel, not even a G27's price for just PS3 compatibility, but meshed with PC compatibility..... bring it on! :)

Take care

Hi All.. I was serious about the enduros and getting help, not pressing pause ! Im not going to do it alone.. I'll share it with Tommy and Shaun, maybe Andrea as well and we'll document it.

I've been doing the seasonal events (Gold in every one ) and racked up a lot of cash and Exp points. Im at level 28 A Spec and 33 B Spec. I've also run all the special events and am now through the first 4 tiers of A Spec and am on the Super GT series in "Expert" (or whatever is before Enduro)

Running a 9 Hour Enduro of Tsukuba right now in B Spec!! Easy win too. Running the Mazda Furia Concept and already lapped the field..lol..

If anyone needs B Spec help, let me know, I've beat almost the whole game in B Spec now..