Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special: Thrustmaster T500RS First Look & Un-Boxing

89 posts in this topic

Here's our first look and un-boxing of the Official Gran Turismo 5 racing wheel by Thrustmaster, the T500RS.

We un-box it, install the brake mod that comes with it and install it in our Gamepod GT2 racing rig. We test it with Gran Turismo 5, F1 2010 and Dirt 2 on the PS3.

Check it out to see our first impressions. More videos and a full review on the T500RS coming soon.

I really like the nixim mod so I'm happy to hear these brakes feel like it. Thanks for that information. I finally got my CSP with the tuning kit feel close to the nixim mod. (the right amount of travel and stiffness)

Darin, is this wheel something that could easily be mounted to something like a wheelstand pro, or a Fantec stand? A rig is not an option for me, and strapping that thing to a fold out dinner table just doesn't look like a good idea.

Darin, is this wheel something that could easily be mounted to something like a wheelstand pro, or a Fantec stand? A rig is not an option for me, and strapping that thing to a fold out dinner table just doesn't look like a good idea.

You could do it.. but not sure how stable it's going to be. This wheel is heavy and generates some serious forces. I'd be hesitant to strap my new $600 wheel to a wheel stand TBH

I'm very hesitant...just because we don't know how long it'll be before they release the drivers for the PC. I won't use it a ton for GT5. I know they said "sometime in January"....but I'd feel a little more comfortable dropping $600 if it were already PC ready.

I think that it is sensible to wait Shecki. Considering that the FFB on PC will no doubt be different to GT5 and considering some of the features other wheels have as standard and are adjustable from the wheel will need to be implemented in the drivers of the T500RS and may not be implemented at all, waiting until you see a review of it on the PC and until you know how capable it is on a PC is the smart decision.

i don't get it. this is probably the ugliest wheel i have ever saw. not to mention, for that kind of money you get 3 pedal set, but no shifter? so wtf should i do with the clutch?

for it's price i can buy myself a new g27, and a ps3 with gt5. anyone who will buy this wheel, sorry but, money trown away ;)

I'm off the buy it now list and will wait till later. I grew tired of waiting for concrete information on when this wheel would be available so I broke down and finally purchased a 3D display instead. Now I will have to wait a few weeks before I could even considering purchasing this wheel or the wife will take the blank rounds out and put in live rounds.

there are so many wheels on the market.. this one is probably one of the worst. ok, maybe it's ff is awesome, ok, there are no dead zones.. but for that money? with no shifter? and the fact that the wheel was made for a game that is pure arcade?

sorry but.. it really is a stupid buy.

Pure arcade :)

What is the difference between the physic simulation ? Do you get the source code ? Do you believe that Pacejka is accurate enough ? Do you think that a 360 Hz physic engine is enough ? Where is the limit ?

Pure arcade :)

What is the difference between the physic simulation ? Do you get the source code ? Do you believe that Pacejka is accurate enough ? Do you think that a 360 Hz physic engine is enough ? Where is the limit ?

Huh ?? Pure arcade ?? I think not.. NFS Hot Pursuit is pure arcade.. GT5 is a fun driving simulator.. Is it a true racing sim like iRacing, NetKar or LFS..no.. But there's not much better on the console and I've had a lot of fun with it..

Also don't you think you're off topic ? This was about a wheel, not GT5

there are so many wheels on the market.. this one is probably one of the worst. ok, maybe it's ff is awesome, ok, there are no dead zones.. but for that money? with no shifter? and the fact that the wheel was made for a game that is pure arcade?

sorry but.. it really is a stupid buy.

Maybe you need to pay a little better attention to what we're saying before talking trash here.. This wheel will work with more than one game.. It currently only works with GT5 but they are working on drivers for the PC.. Just because you have something else doesn't mean this is junk, or not worth it.. How do you even know without trying it ??

Pure arcade ?? Have you even tried GT5 ??? What would NFS Hot Pursuit be considered than ?? A shooter ??

You were warned in private and now Im warning you in public.. Keep the posts constructive and try not to offend.. How would you feel if you bought that wheel and saw people saying "what a stupid buy".

How about listing your equipment for us and let me assess it here in public for you..

I can see being turned off to the wheel because of it's price, especially since so far all I have heard is it working working with GT5 only, and no pc driver yet. I'm sure these issues will be fixed, but I am curious to see how well it works with everything other than GT5. Plus no shifter yet and pot braking are disappointing for something so expensive. Also no word yet (as far as I know) about the price of the shifter.

But what I don't understand are the comments saying it is ugly. I think it looks awesome. As far as sim wheels go, this thing is only second to the DFGT in appearance IMO. It looks a hell of alot cooler than the G27 or G25. I like the look of wheels that look like sim wheels I guess.