T3PA (non-Pro) load cell mod
15 15

131 posts in this topic

You forgot one critical step:  Try not to swear too much while fumbling with all those washers!  ;)

That's gotta be the most pain-in-the-arse part of assembling the T3PA load cells for me -- those little washers are a real pain in my rear, but washers have proven to be the cheapest method of providing the required spacing for the load cell (other options would result in a price increase overall, which is something I've tried to avoid).

Again, nice work, and thanks for sharing your mod with others!  :)

On 24.2.2016 at 5:29 AM, jbodin said:

Just spent the entire evening assembling a batch of interface boards -- tomorrow I hope to spend the evening assembling BLC-T3PA Load Cell mods.  8-)

Hey John,

just in case nobody asked this before - is there any chance of buying the components from you and assembling them by myself?

Well, due to a constant lack of availibility (plus quite a pricy total including shipping to germany plus taxes) I decided to build my own load cell mod with black jack and hookers.

First of all, I purchased a 20kg load cell from some chinese seller via ebay and a LC-Amp from Bodnar.

Until then, I still hadn't decided whether to solder the LC-Amp directly to the pot wires inside the T3PA or to build an external connector box like John does. Since the shipping from china lasted some three weeks, I had enough time on my hands to do some research considering the connectors and sockets (Thrustmaster style RJ11 with offset lug). Turns out a german electronics warehouse has them in stock: MPL6/6DEC connectorMEBE66D socket.

Also I bought a vast amount of nuts, bolts and washers at the hardware store – I guess this was the time I noticed my wife was constantly shaking her head. ;)

After everything arrived, I noticed the RJ11 socket pins wouldn't fit to the 0.1" strip grid board. Another lesson learned. Luckily though I could purchase some SparkFun RJ45 breakout boards, which arrived a day later.

So, yesterday was the big evening when I turned the dining table into a workbench and put everything together. Hint: If you are unfamiliar with crimping connectors, especially exotic ones like the MPL6 (a standard RJ11 crimp tool won't fit), think ahead and order a bunch of spares. You will need them. Period.

There was a moment of helplessness when I tried to bend the load cell by hand to see if there is any output and couldn't get any. That went way better after I bolted the load cell to the DIN rail and – HEUREKA! A Signal!
Even my wife congratulated and my baby daughter let out a happy laugh.

Time for a drive! Sweet baby jesus, that's the real thing! You do need some laps to get used to the new brake, but within a short time span you'll brake like a champ. :)

So, John, hopefully you don't see this as a rip-off, all I can to is thank you for the inspiration!

Let's do some math: Materials and shipping cost me some € 65,- ($ 73,-), plus I had to upgrade my tool collection a bit.
To be honest, I initially thought John's $ 99 were a bit pricy for "just a load cell mounted to a DIN rail", but as you can see you don't save that much money building it by yourself – which is fun, though. 
Considering the invested engineering and the assembly, I think John's price is absolutely fair.

Regards,
Andreas

(The picture shows the testing setup, tonight I'll build an enclosure around it.)

13321046_1132460750146210_991966164_o.jpg

On 17.4.2016 at 4:02 AM, STEELJOCKEY said:

Hi John, made an adjustment to your load cell mod which has given a longer travel for the brake pedal and more progressive feel over the longer travel.

I unscrewed the rubber cushion from the top mounting hole and screwed it in to the bottom mounting hole to move it lower down and give the brake bedal more travel for the same movement to the load cell. With the extra leverage the load cell was now just touching the bracket on full compression and there was a slight gap between the pedal and the rubber cushion. I fixed this by removing one washer from the very top mount of the the load cell onto the bracket (3 at the top mount, 4 on the bottom mount). Now the pedal has more travel, spreads the load cell movement over a longer area and is easier to modulate brake pressure.

The brake pedal feels near perfect now!!

Great idea! Initially I thought the leverage would be too high for a 20KG load cell, but it turns out to be spot-on.

13334601_1133031853422433_569529171_o.jpg

Brilliant bit of handiwork, Andreas -- I applaud your efforts . . . VERY nicely executed, too!  ;)

FWIW, for those of you like Andreas who have been patiently waiting through the T3PA (non-Pro) load cell mod drought, I've actually been on hiatus for the past couple of months due to family health issues -- my wife had a flare-up of a chronic condition, and I actually took three weeks off work in May to stay home with her so she could avoid a potential hospital stay.

Things are returning to normal now, thankfully, and I hope to get production spooled back up in the next couple of weeks, so it shouldn't be much longer before more stock is available.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:40 PM, jimmyhigh said:

Damn here's another item to add to the list. Really happy to see so many positive impressions of the mod. Also glad (and not surprised) to see it's a bodin product. :)

would like to get one of these too......

On 7/22/2016 at 10:20 AM, foolsjester said:

another one patiently waiting... will purchase as soon as available.

will notifications of new stock be sent out from the "Notify me when product is back in stock" link on the bodin website?

Thanks

Yes, I try to send out notifications to all who have requested updates whenever I release new stock on the site.  Just sold out a batch about 2 weeks ago, have more on the workbench now, should be ready within 1 - 2 weeks, depending on how much time I have to do assembly work and such.

:)

I'll check my messages -- hope to have some stock posted for sale today, so keep your eyes peeled.  :)

EDITED TO ADD:  Got stuck doing computer tech support for some friends this afternoon/evening, so I didn't make as much progress as I had hoped.  Tomorrow is fairly full, so I'm not sure I'll be able to finish assembly and testing tomorrow, but we're getting close.

:(

Edited by jbodin

On 17/4/2016 at 4:02 AM, STEELJOCKEY said:

Hi John, made an adjustment to your load cell mod which has given a longer travel for the brake pedal and more progressive feel over the longer travel.

I unscrewed the rubber cushion from the top mounting hole and screwed it in to the bottom mounting hole to move it lower down and give the brake bedal more travel for the same movement to the load cell. With the extra leverage the load cell was now just touching the bracket on full compression and there was a slight gap between the pedal and the rubber cushion. I fixed this by removing one washer from the very top mount of the the load cell onto the bracket (3 at the top mount, 4 on the bottom mount). Now the pedal has more travel, spreads the load cell movement over a longer area and is easier to modulate brake pressure.

The brake pedal feels near perfect now!!

Can you publish photos of the changes to the load cell? I also wish I had more travel of brake pedal...

For those interested in a longer travelling and slightly softer, and also more controllable brake pedal feel, here are some pics of what to mod on John's stock T3PA load cell unit.

In image 1, this is the stock setup, as you can see with the rubber bumper position and a hole beneath it in the aluminium block.

IMG_1.jpg

In image 2, you can see I have moved the rubber bumper down to the lower hole. It just unscrews off the aluminium block, and re-screw it to the bottom hole.

IMG_2.jpg

In image 3, these are the washers or spacers you need to change. Stock from John is with both top and bottom mounts (red and yellow arrows) having 4. In modified version, you NEED 3 at the top point (red arrow) and still 4 at the bottom point (yellow arrow). The load cell needs to be removed from the pedals to make the adjustments.

IMG_3.jpg

Pretty please, with a cherry on top, would you please be able to let me know if/when there will be anymore load cell mods for the t3pa pedals? I have put in a request on the Bodin solutions website and not heard anything at all, if there will (or will not) be any more being made. Thankyou. Yours waiting very hopefully and very, very patiently, Paul Weatherley.

Edited by Paul wev

On 10/10/2016 at 8:46 PM, Paul wev said:

Pretty please, with a cherry on top, would you please be able to let me know if/when there will be anymore load cell mods for the t3pa pedals? I have put in a request on the Bodin solutions website and not heard anything at all, if there will (or will not) be any more being made. Thankyou. Yours waiting very hopefully and very, very patiently, Paul Weatherley.

+1

I would also be grateful if you, or if anybody could list the parts that I will need to be able to build one for myself ? Many thanks.

Paul Weatherley 

Edited by Paul wev
Punctuation

I put my name on the notification list over a year ago at this point and never heard anything back. 

Maybe he could just sell the instructions and part numbers for the DIY people if he can't actually produce the units.  At least that way he'd have *some* money coming in, vs a growing waiting list (though I imagine most have long since given up on this product).

Has anyone tried modding the Ricmotech load cell for the T3PA-pro to the non-pro? That has to be easier than starting from scratch, and their unit has a major advantage: You can actually buy it. 

I received an email for these at 01:22 saying back in stock but was asleep so didn't read it. As soon as I woke up and read the message on my phone I hopped onto the computer to order, Out of Stock. Darn you America!