T3PA (non-Pro) load cell mod
15 15

130 posts in this topic

Are you any further forward with this mod for standard t3pa pedals?

I have the mounting and pedal coupling issues resolved, all I need to do is wire up the electronics for the first prototype, hope to have that done sometime this week.

B)

How does a retail price of $99.99 plus shipping sound to you?  I was able to keep the costs down for the T3PA load cell mod, which allowed me to come in under the cost of my existing BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod that's compatible with the T500 and T3PA-Pro pedals. 

Still need to do some testing to confirm that I'm satisfied with the overall functionality, but if nothing changes as a result of testing, this will be my price point for the BLC-T3PA Load Cell Mod. 

Keep in mind that like the BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod, the BLC-T3PA Load Cell Mod will enable the T3PA pedals to remain fully compatible from both a PC and console perspective.

B)

Edited by jbodin

Sounds good to me! You can put me down for an order when you are satisfied it is ready. I am in UK so you would need to calculate shipping on that basis.

I've shipped a lot of BLC-T500 Load Cell Mods to the UK, so the shipping costs shouldn't be prohibitive. 

:)

Will you be restocking the T3PA PRO load cell mods at some point in the future?

I have 5 special "lightweight" 15kg versions available for immediate shipment (the "standard" BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod has a 35kg load cell; I ended up with a shipment of 15kg load cells by accident and couldn't return them, so I decided to do a special limited run of the "lightweight" 15kg units).

These are ideal for people who DON'T have their pedals permanently mounted, or for people who want/need a lighter pedal touch.  The 15kg unit is still plenty stout, but it requires less "oomph" to get full-scale deflection, while still leaving you plenty of latitude to modulate the full range of brake input by varying the amount of pressure applied.

If you're interested in one of these, let me know.

B)

The prototype is sitting on my workbench waiting to have the electronics assembly connected-up -- made some progress but had some adapters to build-up over the weekend that took priority over this. 

Hope to have some pics (and a working prototype!) by the end of the week, though.

Just a quick update -- here are some shots of the worlds-first T3PA (non-Pro) pedal set with a functional load cell.

:cool:

Bench testing looks very promising, just hooked the pedals up to my race rig and I'll be doing some in-sim testing as soon as I finish this post. 

More later (and, yes, I have one ready to send to Darin for review/testing).

post-4459-0-88790100-1445113199_thumb.jp

post-4459-0-15465800-1445113201_thumb.jp

post-4459-0-61842200-1445113203_thumb.jp

post-4459-0-83877400-1445113205_thumb.jp

post-4459-0-11514800-1445113207_thumb.jp

Did a couple of quick sessions in iRacing just to see how it works -- the main difference I noticed is that I use my T500 pedals in the "inverted" ("GT" or "hanging") position, but since you have to use the T3PA pedals in "F1" (or bottom-hinged) mode, that makes for a slight difference in how my feet hit the pedals in my rig.

Not a huge thing, but it accounts for some variation.  I also noticed that the spring on the clutch pedal on the T3PA pedals seems slightly stiffer than the clutch pedal spring on my T500 pedals.  Again, not a big thing, but just something I noticed.

First I did some laps in the Solstice at Lime Rock Park, and I was able to get within about 5 tenths of my personal best there, which was great.  The pedals obviously felt VERY much like my BLC-T500-equipped T500 pedals, but the brake felt especially familiar, which was good since the load cell there was the critical element I was concerned about.

I then took the Skip out on the Daytona Moto (Bike) Road Course layout -- I had been testing there last night just to see how suitable this layout would be for a car like the Skip.

Here again, I was able to get within about 5 tenths of a second of my previous personal best, which is pretty decent for me.  I also had iSpeed running, so I thought I'd toss up a screen shot of that -- if you look at the graphs at the bottom of the screen, you can see the brake inputs:  The BLC-T500 trace is the light blue, and the BLC-T3PA trace is the darker blue.  That should give you some idea of how responsive the T3PA load cell input is going to be.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with how things work, and I am going to go ahead and produce a couple more production prototypes for beta testers (and one for Darin).

Retail price for the BLC-T3PA will be $99.99, plus shipping, and I hope to have some available for sale within the next month or so, pending feedback from Darin and my other beta testers. The BLC-T3PA will be fully compatible with the T3PA (non-Pro) pedals when used with the T500, TX, T300, and T150 wheel bases, and it will offer full PC and console compatibility depending on each wheel base's console compatibility (TX will still be compatible with Xbox One, T300 will still be PS3/4 compatible, etc.).

More later!

post-4459-0-94379400-1445116839_thumb.jp

Edited by jbodin

The first BLC-T3PA production prototype units have been shipped off to my beta testers, and one was sent to Darin, so hopefully we'll be seeing a review from him and/or John within a couple of weeks.

FWIW, my goal was to have the BLC-T3PA load cell feel and perform like it's "big brother," the BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod, and I think I hit the target.  Very pleased with the end result, and hopefully all will go well with Darin and the other testers. 

If so, retail units should follow shortly.

8-)

Just got my T3PA (NON pro)  load cell last night and was quite pleased with the ease of installation.  Took less than 5 minutes to uninstall my conical mod and install the load cell.  So far I have only tested this on the console with Project Cars, Forza 6 and F1 2015.  Quickly tried it on Project Cars and Forza 6 just to be able to test all three and found myself LOVING the feel, especially on F1 2015.  Gonna go back and do the first two again tonight, but so far so good!!  I have the CSP V1 pedals and this to me feels better than the load cell in it.

Good feedback Bundy06 -- MUCH appreciated!

FWIW, Bundy06 is the first of my beta testers for the BLC-T3PA Load Cell Mod (other units are en route to Darin and my other testers).

Sounds very much like the mod is working out as well as I had planned; I was going for ease of installation, and overall functionality, and this first bit of feedback from an independent third-party tester seems to indicate that I hit my marks.

:cool:

I haven't started full production yet, just in case I need to tweak the final design based on my testers' feedback, but at this point I may go ahead and start assembling the first retail batch, because it doesn't sound like I'm going to need to make any changes.

If that's the case, I may have the first units ready to ship before the end of the month -- hopefully Darin and John will be able to crank out at least a "first-look" preview before that time so we can all hear their impressions.

Edited by jbodin

Haven't gotten any feedback from Darin and John at Inside Sim Racing yet, but my feedback from other testers has been completely positive, and unless there's a mind-blowing show-stopper from the ISRTV folks, it looks like the final production units will be identical to the preproduction prototypes.

So far all my testers agree that installation is incredibly simple, which is great, and installation will NOT void your T3PA warranty because it can be removed in minutes to convert your T3PA pedals back to stock, which is an added bonus.

Performance-wise, all the testers seem very satisfied, and at least one other tester than Bundy06 has indicated that they prefer the T3PA brake pedal feel with the load cell mod over their Fanatec V1 pedals, which is great to hear IMO.

Looking forward to hearing Darin's and John's thoughts!  

Edited by jbodin

Postage to AUS for my T500 mod typically runs around $40US, and I've shipped quite a few BLC-T500 Load Cell Mods to folks down under!  :)

The BLC-T3PA Load Cell mod is going to weigh about exactly the same as the BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod, so I would expect shipping to be about the same.