OSW thread closed
5 5

34 posts in this topic

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but according to the wiki link theirs a lot to add to this base unit

particularly Motor drive unit parts which are 600 dollars plus. I cant really see how this adds up against a Acuforce

which i calculate is less money part for part and has the major advantage of incredible software compatibility.

Or am i missing something ?

You are absolutely correct this is just the motor portion of the project,

I put this sale info here mostly for people who have already been following the project.

As for the following many have decided otherwise.

I cant really see how this adds up against a Acuforce

which i calculate is less money part for part and has the major advantage of incredible software compatibility.

As for the following many have decided otherwise.

I cant really see how this adds up against a Acuforce

This is the bit i dont get why ?

There's a recent thread on this Dynt called why the need for so much torque over in custom high end wheels. You should check out some of the comments, including those of Svend from heusinkveld engineering. His comments mirrored mine - depends on the need bro, if you are a.) professional driver/team or b.) sim racer who will pay anything for 1:1 torque/feedback, then you will concede with accuforce (which, is hard for me to actually place a dollar value on the software) or any other wheel and go for something like the bodnar wheel w/optional ~24nm KM motor, or the OSw...they need those levels of feedback and torque to get as close as possible to in-car, since testing is so limited and expensive.

Otherwise, the remainder of people will be happy with any other wheel. Accuforce looks like an awesome balance of capability and user friendly package, in the Goldilocks zone of value/dollar.

As for the package (thx for posting slingshot) yes there are other components required but I am sure as components become available more complete packages will be offered by this chap, just happy someone in n.a. Is doing all the footwork and compiling the as many parts into a package as possible. I'm sure it will only get more complete from here!

Dynt,

Before I start writing to let you know this is a happy friendly conversation not a defensive fighting one.

That is the problem with written words it can be mis interpreted.

There are many things that are good about having the torque close to 1:1

When a wheel is clipiing. Trying to put out more power than it is capable of detail is lost.

Many ARGUMENTS have risen on different forums of this wheel is better than the AF etc etc.

Everyone has there right to there point of view.

I personally am not going to join in the debate.

This thread is to sell people components for the OSW/ DIY wheels.

I bought quite a few of these motors and other components so that I could have them here in the USA for others who want to try this project.

I found it very frustrating waiting weeks and weeks for parts to arrive from overseas sometimes to find out it had not even shipped yet!

Hopefully I can help others avoid that. There is very little profit margin in these parts then add currency exchange, customs and import fees, paypal fees to and from. So I am not doing this to get Rich, just passing on good deals to fellow Sim racers!

Many thanks for not taking my comments as criticism i truly am interested as to what the pros and cons are as i am going to purchase a dd wheel in the near future, with any substantial outlay information allways makes for a more informed decision.

i was competeing in rallying for many many years and have go into sim racing recently to try and replicate some of those lost emtions and feelings.

Part of that is trying to replicate as close to original that feedback, the forces generated by the wheel is a large part but the quality of that feedback is also important how it is interpreted, thus if its not about price and if you are correct the wheel strengths play a vital role, i was very interested in does the available software do a adequate job in doing this.

One major plus also in this system is that it can be purchased in sections therefore allowing for some finnancial planning.

Reports are yes the software does a very good job at this.

I myself can not testify to this yet as I am now building my first wheel.

I agree that tge Accuforce has an abundance of software capability's, but my problem would be I do not want to have to tinker with tge settings at every track and every car. I want to jump in and drive!

And I agree the OSW/ DIY wheel project is great because you can buy a few things for the project as you can afford it?

It make a DD wheel possible for many more people.

Many can invest a few hunderd here and there over time, but fewer can plop dowm $1800-$4000 at one time!

Feel free to ask any questions you like.

And as I have said the hardware forums on iRacing are Golden for this project!

Talk later,

Joe

Looking forward to package updates (added components). I'm having a rig professionally designed which I plan to use my OSw lenze on, but in the meantime I may build out a sim co's prototype rig, which would be great to use with a mige depending on cost efficiency.

So if I buy the motor in the first post + the "package for the controls" in the second post then I'll have a 100% fully functioining OSW other than having to buy a wheel rim?

If so, you have a sale, right now.  100%.  Done.

I will PM you this same message just in case.

I think you still need the PSU. The one in the video is a Linear Power supply. I think the ones that folks buy costs around $165 USD. You also need cables and case and a Q1R quick release. 

So if I buy the motor in the first post + the "package for the controls" in the second post then I'll have a 100% fully functioining OSW other than having to buy a wheel rim?

If so, you have a sale, right now.  100%.  Done.

I will PM you this same message just in case.

Hi Spinelli,

As said above you will still need a Power supply.The ones I sell sell for $175.

You also need a case to house things in. And some cables to connect things.

If you want to get fancy you will also need some thru connectors for the case like shown in the attached pics.

I have another combo coming that will have all of the components for the case also. I think we are still a few weeks away on that.

When that happens if you buy the combos + power supply you will have everything needed less wheel ,button box ,shifters ( but I will carry these soon also!  :-P )

Once I have all the combos figured out I will start a new thread as I did not reserve enough posts to show everything at the beginning of the thread.