Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which cam do you race with - cockpit, hood or bumper?

30 posts in this topic

I use cockpit most of the time and other times I use the hood.  Somehow I react better to the track using the hood view tho.  It may come from my many years in karting which I was closer to the ground.  LOL

How true, I think of all the forms of motorsport that bring about the most thrills and NOTHING beats karts. Super fast reaction if the kart is set up properly, immersion literally right in front of you at all times. I was best friends with the north american champ of karts many years ago and I had a chance to drive his wining kart on his practice 2 acre track he built behind his shop. In the winter he had a 60 x120 foot indoor oval track where we put wings on to make the karts look like sprint cars and then put shuffleboard dust on the corners for even more excitement! The floors were very polished as it was, never mind the dusty corners. Huge exhaust fans in one end took care of the fumes. Along the straights we would often reach 75 mph, the trick to it was to set up your slide about the 3/4 point of the straight away, then back off the gas and slide 1/2 way around the corner and floor it half way thru the corner and set it up all again at the next corner. Those were the days.

How true, I think of all the forms of motorsport that bring about the most thrills and NOTHING beats karts. Super fast reaction if the kart is set up properly, immersion literally right in front of you at all times. I was best friends with the north american champ of karts many years ago and I had a chance to drive his wining kart on his practice 2 acre track he built behind his shop. In the winter he had a 60 x120 foot indoor oval track where we put wings on to make the karts look like sprint cars and then put shuffleboard dust on the corners for even more excitement! The floors were very polished as it was, never mind the dusty corners. Huge exhaust fans in one end took care of the fumes. Along the straights we would often reach 75 mph, the trick to it was to set up your slide about the 3/4 point of the straight away, then back off the gas and slide 1/2 way around the corner and floor it half way thru the corner and set it up all again at the next corner. Those were the days.

Who was he?  I raced kart in the USA during the 70's, 80's and 90's.  If he raced World Karting Association (WKA) races, I most likely know him.  I know racers like Scott Pruitt, Lynn Haddock and few others.  Just curious!

Cockpit or hood. Cockpit is not all that realistic all the time. I have my own cockpit and in many sims it´s like sitting in the backseat and racing! How many here sit in the backseat in your real car and race? It´s not really any more realistic a lot of the times.

Whenever there is a right hand side cockpit from countries where you walk upside down or strange british stuff I hunt for the hood view. But it all depend if the cockpit view is good and the hood view bad I may run cockpit view anyway.  If I get frustrated due to lack of sensation of lack of speed I also tend to try the hood view. It often helps. I do run cockpit in most of the sims but then put the seat way forward to not sit in the backseat.

The benefit with having seat more forward in the car is that you can easier fell where the front tires are. Sitting more in the backseat like in some cockpit views let you easier find slides and give a bit more fov that make it slightly easier to do door to door racing but can´t really say one is more realistic then the other counting all factors.

Who was he?  I raced kart in the USA during the 70's, 80's and 90's.  If he raced World Karting Association (WKA) races, I most likely know him.  I know racers like Scott Pruitt, Lynn Haddock and few others.  Just curious!

His name was Dave Campbell if I remember right, that was a very long time ago. The first time I drove one of his karts was in a parking lot and it was so fast and the brakes were unreal for a kart, I was used to my home made job and I braked early to turn ro around and it stopped so fast that I had to push the gas again. Nearest kart track from where I live is 3 hours away.

Like the majority here. I always use cockpit view and also to take it a step further i take away the on screen tachometer and gear display. This forces me to use the instrument cluster on the dash in the cockpit. Takes some getting used to but it's fun.