Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which cam do you race with - cockpit, hood or bumper?

30 posts in this topic

We as a racing community all have different ideas of what is the best view point when we are driving. Personally I toggle between hood and cockpit depending on where I am in the race. If I am way out front I will switch to bumper cam or hood view depending on the track. If I am in traffic I like either the hood view or cockpit, all depending on what car I am driving. This is the main issue of which view is best - some cars have very restricted views from the cockpits - others do not. It is not an easy thing to say which is the best view either as every one drives differently. After all isn't this why we have so many gadgets on our rigs? To simulate that real cockpit feeling. Okay guys, your turn.

post-27076-0-75511200-1438517573_thumb.j

post-27076-0-37733300-1438517582_thumb.j

Hello, I personal like hood cam. It is close to real driving. No matter that we all drive real cars in the cockpit - the brain removes cockpit details and we see the road with let say part of the hood. To see another wheel and another 2 hands is like you are a passenger and look how the driver drive. Same is with the helmet. For example in Project CARS you have helmet view. I ride motorbikes and when you are in the helmet you dont see the helmet parts. Same as those of you who wear glasses - the brain make them dissapear. 

Sometimes I drive with cockpit cams,but making seat or fov to go so forward like the cam is right behind the windshield.

For triples is ok to use cockpit cam ,because you see side mirrors. But again I dont need to see so much from interior and so less from outside.

For example Mazda roadster in iRacing on 1 screen from the cockpit is like you drive a tank with small screen(dont know the english word for tank driving small screens). ;)

I always use cockpit because I have my monitors close enough that I can get a 1:1 180 degree FOV. It is really immersive having everything at the right scale.

IMG_0802_zpseipwtx8m.jpg

I basically see from the B pillar forward and I can see the gauges in most cars.

IMG_0808_zpsg4vxbm9q.jpg

It depends i prefer cockpit viiew if viiew is good. I don't like to drive cockpit viiew in cars with nets masking my side views, so i swith to hood cam. I agree with Krassi it seem more realistic. Don't like to have two dashboard and two wheels if you cannot remove them

If this wasn't a forum called "Inside Sim Racing" I would tolerate the question, since it's not, I will pretend I didn't even read it!

There is only one way to simulate the sport, that's being where the driver really is ... in the fu...ing cockpit!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I am going to get flamed for this one. Seeing as I haven't finished my rig yet and am still using a controller for p cars and Forza I use chase cam. Once I finish the rig and start using a wheel I will go back to in car. The reason I use chase came with the controller is that I find it really hard to feel when the car starts to get away. With the wheel I will be able to feel it so I won't need the visual cue to correct

cockpit on everything except rally games I use the hood. I have no clue why but when it comes to drifting and sliding turns, its easier with the hood

right behind you StreetzKing, knocking on your bumper wanting to pass. All I use when playing Dirt 3 is the hood cam and on the really short tracks I use the bumper cam

If this wasn't a forum called "Inside Sim Racing" I would tolerate the question, since it's not, I will pretend I didn't even read it!

There is only one way to simulate the sport, that's being where the driver really is ... in the fu...ing cockpit!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that Sergio....all you bumper and chase cam guys...go set up a inside arcade racing forum somewhere else...and @ PaulH...pcars traitor...your foolin yourself...come back to ac ..rejoin the light brother..

I use cockpit almost exclusively. Now a bit off topic, but has anyone else with triples tried moving forward out of the cockpit in iRacing? It feels like it slows everything down and makes it almost drunken feeling... You would think it would be easier since it feels/looks like it slows things down, but I can't do it. Not sure if it is a built in thing in iRacing or what.

Its like using binoculars, the further out you see the slower things seem to move. You will miss judge the actual speed the car is driving at since you're looking way ahead.  Bouncing is more pronounced too, which is why you might be feeling sick.

I use cockpit most of the time and other times I use the hood.  Somehow I react better to the track using the hood view tho.  It may come from my many years in karting which I was closer to the ground.  LOL