Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unofficial OSW owners thread (aka osw owners share your pics)

338 posts in this topic

New player on the block

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24900-Sim-Racing-servo-ffb-systems-OSW-Bodnar?p=379447&viewfull=1#post379447

Custom servo HRS is developing together with the supplier - it differs from the MiGe in the following areas: 

1) Smoother and better bearings 
2) Motor has less noticeable cogging torque than the MiGe 
3) Smoother in normal operation 
4) Same physical dimensions, same electrical connections 
5) Double the resolution encoder compared to the MiGe, 20,000CPR(5,000PPR) vs MiGe 10,000CPR (2,500PPR)

Brett said, We are waiting on some final prices, so once i have them we can setup a price structure..
I know that Brett is working on making a bolt-off, bolt-on upgrade encoder for the MiGe as well.

Cheers for your feedback on this mate, it's reassuring to know that this is normal.

In regard to the AKM - Lenze comparison I obviously can't say anything at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's not just a matter of better or not, but personal preference affecting a judgement on this.

Even if the AKM54 is a bit better, considering the price the Lenze is the limit for me at this point in time and I got no problem knowing that there's something maybe a little bit better around. That situation won't change anyway, because there will be always something better coming up at any point in time.

Not sure, but maybe the next big step will be on the software side of things. Simx' software package seems to be developed the most.

On the other hand I read setting that up is still a challenge, but that may be due to the motor they use. 

What I want to say is as an OSw owner it may be worth looking at sim wheels again at a point in time when there's a top quality servo available in combination with the Simcommander or a software which is even better than what's currently on the market. The safest bet seems to be looking at Simx in this regard, but we'll see what Fanatec comes up with when they are coming out with their dd wheel.

Just on the side, although I don't really expect Fanatec getting into the top high-end market, but considering what you get from Fanatec (V2 base & Porsche 918 rim) for 1000 bucks it's actually very difficult for me to imagine what a Fanatec base/rim combination worth 3000 bucks would be offering...it must absolutely amazing.

Maybe it's worth looking at the next major step in development instead of paying EUR600 more on a motor which is just maybe a tiny little bit better...just my opinion. :)

Cheers

Yeah there will always be something better out there =).  Once you include the enclosure and the shipping cost it become very close to the Bodnar system but you get around 12 nm less torque with the Bodnar.  

On 10/23/2015, 5:52:44, Grumpybeard said:

@Jimmyhigh - Sorry to hear you are leaving us, I have really enjoyed your contributions from opening of boxes to your excited driving vids.  Thanks for sharing.

All the best Jimmy!

Hey fellas. 

It turns out I'm back after all, just without the super-rig and OSW.

I'm back in iracing, except on a T300rs and t599 alcantara wheel rim...for now. and an old mac pro running bootcamp.

Y'know, its not so bad. But its still a big difference going back down. funny thing I noticed last night - actually a couple things...

I'm much more aware of the understeer and grip loss thats TRYING to be communicated via force feedback in the t300rs compared to when I was using it before the OSW, not because its actually pronounced or GOOd like the osw, but because I remember what the feeling was like in the osw in certain cars, lol. Does that make any sense? I'm almost as good a driver with the t300 now, oddly enough, however without the OSW I can't rely on finding the limit of grip simply by "feeling it out," according to the wheel.

I gota take a second to reflect on my time with the Lenze OSW. It really was special, but not in the sense of special I've had for other products or "things." OSW isn't a fancy commercial product. It never had any sleek design, no cool branding, no hype or buzz generated through a company. the OSW is sorta like Bo Jackson was in college, before he went pro, before Nike signed him. Everyone that graced his presence knew he was special, the best, hard to fathom at times, amazing fans constantly.   

The thing that made the OSW special for me was the way it could communicate force feedback. It did so in such a way, that I was able to do things in iracing that I previously thought impossible. the OSW teaches you the car's personality.  everyone talks about being able to catch slides, but that's not even the half of it.  Lets take my last run in the Aston at Canada park as an example:

turn 4, hot lapping, Its a bit uneasy pushing full throttle into the downhill. You loose feeling in the wheel as your car crests the hill, and thats where the uh-oh moment can happen if you make any quick movements...so keep it steady, and by the bottom, forces are immediately transitioning to very strong forces in the wheel as the aston approaches the uphill, all while you've managed the car threshold braking. The OSW was so good at communicating weigh shift, and gravitational forces. I'd argue it does so in a way that's actually more useful to the driver than a motion rig. As weight and grip feels doubled, the OSW doubles it's strength like it's not even breaking a sweat, tightening up drastically, twitching, humming, and dancing a bit violently. I learned the force feedback characteristic for each of my favorite cars, so much that It was like learning their real handling characteristics. I always kept in mind it was a sim though, not real life...y'know, just to keep my ego in check. 

Anyways, the personality of force feedback given out by each car is really what helped me get to know the "edge" of each car. It also helped me deal with, and manage tire wear better than I've ever been able to do. I miss it dearly, the OSW. I got really fast times before the osw by kind of guessing the fastest line, and the t500 just sort of made it more fun, but didn't help too much. with the osw, I got faster because I used the wheel as a third eye, designed to tell me right when I'm on the edge of grip. the differences felt when approaching the limit of grip was so obvious. Even friends of mine who tried it could find the optimal speed for corners. It really was like cheating at times. Of course there's alot more to feeling out grip to get a fast lap, but thats the part i miss the most. the change in forces aren't felt much with a production wheel. 

But since I owned one long enough to get used to it, I've been able to enjoy iracing using a normal T300 much more than I thought possible. Hell, I was planning on just not playing iracing for a while if I couldn't have an OSW to drive with lol.  since then I've caved in, and my Lady encouraged me to keep the hobby despite selling the gear.

the difference for me is that this time, I can sort of feel what the game is "TRYING" to communicate to me in the t300, and from memory, the knee-jerk reactions are still there, and I've managed to keep my times up, and continue to catch slides, (just not all the time lol). this this aint even close to what I want...but I can deal. and I'm happy for now. 

Its really good to see there's a few new players coming into the markey with direct drive wheels. Especially that post earlier in the thread. 

since my first kid is on the way by June, I'm going humble and simple with sim racing...because really, I got no choice, and I'm lucky my iRacing subscription auto renewed without me knowing it, lol. I didn't end up retiring from iracing after all, so thats the important part, and pretty much is the reason for this post... turns out my old Mac Pro running windows was able to run iracing, using a modest ATI 5770 graphics card lol.  plugs into a 47 in. sony bravia, and a bob earl chassis sits in front of it. Not too shabby. 

Hope there's still OSW kits in 2018+

On 12/21/2015 at 11:37 AM, THE_Shev said:

Hi all,

Received my kit from Ollie last week.

Now i am looking for some settings for the games; Game Stock car Extreme and RaceRoomExperience.

MMos and ingame settings. Thanks  a lot.

Did you see my video posted about raceroom racing with MMos? Interesting and informative, if not wordy and nerdy. I think i posted it a while back. https://youtu.be/AuPjbFLY8-M

9 hours ago, THE_Shev said:

hey thanks will have a look and found some settings on Virtual Racing forum as well.

What dash are you using?

Grtz

I'm using dash meter pro for Android. But if you see green screen in my other videos, that's when I used an app called HUD dash 

I'm really looking into a Thermaltake Core V1 case which is a bit more squared than the Cooler Master Elite 130 (wider and higher but less long).  It also seems to get better reviews and definitely seems cooler.

I will be getting the large MiGe and IONI Pro HC setup and running the IONI Pro HC up to it's rated 25A.  It gets quite hot at anything over 20A; Ollie said he didn't have problems in testing but the IPHC was getting pretty hot and he had a fan blowing directly on it.  So I'm definitely going to put a fan (140mm or 120mm Cougar Vortex HDB) blowing right onto the IONI Pro HC.

So...Questions:

1.  What do you guys think of the Thermaltake Core V1 as opposed to the Cooler Master Elite 130?

2.  Do you guys think it could all be done in a Cooler Master Elite 110 (same height and width as CM Elite 130 but less length)?

I am from Canada.

I'm quiet confused about this Osw wheel . Can someone tell where do I buy it,or who to contact?

Another thing confusing about different specs MIG small MIG ioni lenze im lost with all that can someone explain it or post the link where I get to read, what do I buy for how much and what is the difference . How do I install shifter pads buttons and where can I get these components if that is possible?

14 hours ago, bkwoj said:

I am from Canada.

I'm quiet confused about this Osw wheel . Can someone tell where do I buy it,or who to contact?

Another thing confusing about different specs MIG small MIG ioni lenze im lost with all that can someone explain it or post the link where I get to read, what do I buy for how much and what is the difference . How do I install shifter pads buttons and where can I get these components if that is possible?

Save a bunch of time and contact (pm) Joe sulivan if you're serious about buying one. I'm sure he has some time to talk on the phone. Send em your phone #. If you're just curious about osw and probably wouldn't shel out over 2 grand (after all is said and done w/ decent rim) then you can pm me I might be up for chatting. Look up sim racing garage with Barry Roland and he's got a popular OSW video review that goes through many basics through advanced. 

btw fellas, this sounds insane, but I am proudly returning to the world of OSW.  I'm getn another OSW lol. This time, a small mige kit. As posted before, Im working with a more minimalistic setup since I parted w/ 8020 and buttkickers and button boxes. Baby is still om the way. Its a boy. Lol. 

but since things have improved financially and the fiancé is happy with our new place, I've negotiated the corner of the livingroom gets to be for sim racing. So having said that, I sold some old music gear, and my old Mac pro (silver tower of power held its value above 1100 and it's 5 y/o wow). so i needed a pc to replace it. This week I ordered a digital storm gaming PC, a mige / argon OSW kit from Joe sulivan w/ button plate from Sam Maxwell and lastly, a nice LG ultrawide 36" IPS monitor w/ free sync @ 75hz (144hz is too pricey man lol). The rig I'll be running is a joke, so get ready for some funny pics. Lol

This thread has been quiet lately. I'm just days away from getting the new setup complete. Keep in mind these pics are work in progress. 

Waiting on:

digital storm PC

AMD saphire r9 390 nitro (gota have free sync available for that LG monitor)

8020 nuts and bolts. 

Angle mount kit for sports seat

What I have so far: 

A red sports car seat.

A small amount of 8020 aluminium panels...enough to hold a mige? We shall see...

LG 34UM65 free sync ultrawide 34" IPS monitor (overclockable to 80hz, free sync capable up to 75hz)

(Joe sulivan build) OSW (Argon drive) small Mige kit, 

Sam Maxwell (basic) button plate

A 280mm, 25$ steering wheel from ebay. Yay! It fits Sam Maxwell plate!

A bodin solutions t3pa conversion cable w/ adapter to allow T3pa pedals to work as standalone USB pedals. :) 

And...of course, OSW Sim Racer Guard Cat...

Some 8020 arrived yesterday. I'm trying to keep the budget low this time around. The pedals are housed in the black rack box, (which works really nicely BTW) and the rest will be a seperate half frame. The challenge this time around is staying within budget while making sure there's as much rigidity as possible. At the moment the rig is wobbly when I push forward and back on the wheel. Its because I didn't buy enough brackets and because of the  basic design. I'll need 2-4 more 1.5x1.5x 24" to make a long stanble leg base seperate from the seat slider base. 

IMG_20160302_213926~2.jpg

IMG_20160302_213841~2.jpg

Looking good, Jimmy.  I got my OSW running a week or so ago.  It's awesome (obviously).  I reinforced my desk with a layer of 3/4" plywood and then another very small layer just for the motor because I need to have the motor elevated relative to the rest of the desk or else I can't tilt (19 degrees, max) the motor more than a few degrees since the Large Mige is too long.

Awesome! Whats your choice car now that you're running osw? Any changes in your drivin?

Oh, and about your wheel mount, are you running your monitors behind your mige? If u are, instead, try gettinf your monitors susoended over the shaft...put some spacers or get a holger qr if u don't have one already to add some space between the shaft and wheel and your monitors can potentially dip down in that area to create some overlap if need be plus this allows you to raise the FOV a bit.  The mige is indeed a large servo so that's gona be my solution once the holger arrives. I've got a resiculously tricky exam to take tomorrow for school, then i rush home to wait for UPS who will deliver my damn computer. took 2+ weeks to arrive after ordering! :(  

More 8020 support arrived in the mail today along with a butt kicker advance. and I just got back from home depot this evening with 2 big slabs of mdf, rubber isolators, and some of the chrome-esque deck grade that you see inside cliche' race cars foot plates.  

My setup will be. 

Digital storm vanquish 4

Intel i5 6500 3.2 ghz

Asus h110 mobo

(Selling the gtx 960 4gb that comes with it if anyone wants it.)

AMD radeon r9 390 nitro ( bought it seperately so I can use freesync @ 75hz on the LG ultrawide.  

Small mige osw kit

T3pa pro w/ bodin/bodnar USB standalone conversion kit. (But a new set of protosimtech pt1 pedals will be returning to my rig this spring.)

An 8020 chassis that I half-ass designed and somehow turned out very cool. 

A furry audio rack mount floor case which does nothing that it was intended for, housing my tm pedals. 

1x Buttkicker advance, onkyo 705 thx receiver powering it. 

Simvibe. 

A 280mm steering wheel that cost me 25$ on eBay...and I actually like it alot.

Entry level Sam Maxwell button plate w/ GT paddle shifters.  

Holger qr x 2.

Hopefully will have it all running by tomorrow evening 

Ya, the problem is I'm still using the stock BenQ bases for my monitors.  I gotta get 3 monitor mounts.  I've been holding off way too long.  Your idea is great though; the extra space may make it possible to have the monitors nice and close.  They are a little further now because of how short (depth wise) the Fanatec CSW base was so I need to look into that.

I was going to get some cheap ebay wheels - Momo knockoffs, etc. - but people on the iRacing forums were saying that they have failed multiple users with the OSW.  Someone even posted a pic of the entire rim's spoke completely split all the way through due to it's cheapness.  I also saw a video of a guy with a Nardi knockoff and he could bend the crap out of it with just his hands once it was mounted (the real Nardi didn't bend the slightest).  They pretty much said that the least expensive rims while being good enough for an OSW are the Fanatec rims.  So I'm probably going to get the Flat1, GT, and Classic rims.  I'm thinking of also throwing a Round1 rim in there but I don't know if it's pointless because A. I already have a G25 wheel which is similar (leather, 27 cm, round), and B. the Flat1 rim is about the same size (Flat1 is 27.2 cm).  So I'm debating the Round1 but I'm pretty set on the Flat1, GT, and Classic.  I would have loved if the Flat1 was around 280 or 285 mm and if the GT was 320 mm instead of 272 mm and 330 mm respectively but I'll have to deal with it considering the price of wheels like the Momo Mod 30 and such.

I haven't changed cars or anything like that.  I haven't played too much because I had lots of concerns with the OSW at first and was doing lots of research and question-asking, and then I reinforced my desk.  I, so far, have only done some playing with SCE and RF2.  The cars I like haven't changed much.  I mean, yes, the FFB is a million times better as-well as funner but that doesn't change physics (obviously) and the vehicles still behave/act/react the same - they still have the same tendencies and each sim (or sim software engine) in general still has it's same inferior and superior areas of vehicle dynamics/kinematics - but you are now more able to manage those physics regardless of how bad or good they may be.

I've been using this knock-off OMP wheel with a Ioni driven small MiGe, I think it's 320mm.

It will bend if you hang on it while getting in and out of the rig, but no issues since last August.

1450006971728_zpsk2zmj6cy.jpg

On 3/8/2016 at 6:06 AM, Spinelli said:

Ya, the problem is I'm still using the stock BenQ bases for my monitors.  I gotta get 3 monitor mounts.  I've been holding off way too long.  Your idea is great though; the extra space may make it possible to have the monitors nice and close.  They are a little further now because of how short (depth wise) the Fanatec CSW base was so I need to look into that.

I was going to get some cheap ebay wheels - Momo knockoffs, etc. - but people on the iRacing forums were saying that they have failed multiple users with the OSW.  Someone even posted a pic of the entire rim's spoke completely split all the way through due to it's cheapness.  I also saw a video of a guy with a Nardi knockoff and he could bend the crap out of it with just his hands once it was mounted (the real Nardi didn't bend the slightest).  They pretty much said that the least expensive rims while being good enough for an OSW are the Fanatec rims.  So I'm probably going to get the Flat1, GT, and Classic rims.  I'm thinking of also throwing a Round1 rim in there but I don't know if it's pointless because A. I already have a G25 wheel which is similar (leather, 27 cm, round), and B. the Flat1 rim is about the same size (Flat1 is 27.2 cm).  So I'm debating the Round1 but I'm pretty set on the Flat1, GT, and Classic.  I would have loved if the Flat1 was around 280 or 285 mm and if the GT was 320 mm instead of 272 mm and 330 mm respectively but I'll have to deal with it considering the price of wheels like the Momo Mod 30 and such.

I haven't changed cars or anything like that.  I haven't played too much because I had lots of concerns with the OSW at first and was doing lots of research and question-asking, and then I reinforced my desk.  I, so far, have only done some playing with SCE and RF2.  The cars I like haven't changed much.  I mean, yes, the FFB is a million times better as-well as funner but that doesn't change physics (obviously) and the vehicles still behave/act/react the same - they still have the same tendencies and each sim (or sim software engine) in general still has it's same inferior and superior areas of vehicle dynamics/kinematics - but you are now more able to manage those physics regardless of how bad or good they may be.

I've got a few suggestions for rims. This being my second time owning an OSW, I've researched the heck out of rims and buttons options and plates etc.  recently I find a perfect rim, the sparco t310, the rare GT rim used by precision sim engineering, only to find out it's no longer being made. Damnit bodnar he bought em all!!!

Anywho, while I was ogling the sim steering rims, I ventured further into the bodnar/bodin world and found a converter for Fanatec rims to allow the entire rim to be used via USB , including lights and guages etc, as well as a coverterter for 52mm to 50mm tri spaced (mod 27 style bolt pattern.) Allowing it to be used with an OSW! :)

So any Fanatec rim is fair game. 

As far as cheap rims go. I bought a 280mm wheel from ebay new for 25$ (looks as though there's a thousand of this kind) and it works great! My girl looked at it and said it's kinda cute...so I'm looking at getting a Fanatec bmw rim until my sportline rim arrives. 

Without a doubt my favorite wheel even more than a momo or omp superquadro is the 300mm and 320mm and 330mm variations of the sportline competition rim. Guys in Europe love em. I used one for half a year and raged the shit out of it and it held form. I never had a button plate made for it, but someday I will. Hopefully soon if I can get the layout over to Steve spencely. 

Here are some links if anyone is interested...

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/sport-line-330mm-steering-wheel-runner-2000-black-suede-leather-20200-s/300753776

http://www.crowderscustomizing.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=2014&page=3

Scroll to you bottom... 2 color variations of my baby lol. 

I'll use that 25$ rim for open wheelers like skippy and lotus, the sportline for imsa vette c7 and c6 (one f my favs to drive) and maybe look into getting a Fanatec rim and converison kit...

I really do hate Fanatec though. Mostly bad experiences. They make sweet looking gear though. I'll have to see what others think of some of their rims. 

Ya, Jimmy, the Sport Line wheels look awesome and seem fantastic and right up there with Momo/Sparco/Nardi/OMP according to some reviews I read.

I wonder how NRG fares?  They have some nice rims and quite inexpensive prices compared to the "big guys" (Momo, Nardi, Sparco, OMP, Sport Line, etc.).

13 hours ago, Spinelli said:

Ya, Jimmy, the Sport Line wheels look awesome and seem fantastic and right up there with Momo/Sparco/OMP according to some reviews I read.

I wonder how NRG fares?  They have some nice rims and quite inexpensive prices compared to the "big guys" (Momo, Sparco, OMP, Sport Line, etc.).

I purchased an NRG once and was not satisfied at all. For anyone looking for a whee at a budget visit http://www.sport-line.it/  pick out a model, then call Crowder's customizing, who is sportline's official distributor here in the states. 

Here's what I've been trying lately. IMG_20160314_165326.thumb.jpg.b89e6a2bccIMG_20160311_152626.thumb.jpg.54af8eb22asparco p310 is the one im keepingIMG_20160318_134937.thumb.jpg.05e9e3fd85IMG_20160314_165315.thumb.jpg.53b36c9bf3