Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unofficial OSW owners thread (aka osw owners share your pics)

338 posts in this topic

No real manuals came with it. Not ready yet. Jjust followed guides and another OSW builders pictures. Or so I thought.

Man, I really feel for you. That's exactly the kind of thing that would happen to me. Hope you get it sorted soon. Have you discussed this with Ollie?

Waiting for a reply. I am sure he is super busy but hope to hear something soon. 

Hope you get it resolved and it isn't a costly fix, this is exactly my concern with OSW - I fear I'd be a little out of my depth on some aspects of it.

To be honest ,If ollie is selling these kits as a plug and play type deal with a bit of flashing firmware etc ,,plus im sure he said the kit comes with a detailed build tutorial(although correct me if im wrong),,, but im sure i read that it was included in his kit,,,,

He at least needs to do a quick 10 min vid of how to quickly connect all the plugs up and say what goes where on his kit ,,plus maybe even a 5 min vid on flashing the disco and what not ,,although there are already how too vids out there on flashing the disco but even so it kinda covers his own arse if he can at least say i put it all on a plate for you folks to complete the build,,,,

As it stands there are a few guys struggling to get his kit up and running without having a total nightmare,,,,which i think most probably could be avoided with a simple 10 to 15 min vid,,

All that said, his kits are extremely well priced and a god send for those that don't want to fanny about checking continuity and soldering,,,hopefully he will make time for a little vid sometime soon for all the guys out there struggling after receiving his kit .

There is a manual but not complete yet just list the parts and wheel assembly. However I was ordering it with the Sim-Ple board which is supposed to make it easier with the wiring at least and it was delayed and he was generous offering this instead or money back if we wouldn´t want to continue waiting for some months more. So this is more of the standard DIY solution but with premade cables.  I believe I got the wiring figured out  but it will not be easy to fit it nice in a case that is perhaps the absolute hardest part of it. 

There is a manual but not complete yet just list the parts and wheel assembly. However I was ordering it with the Sim-Ple board which is supposed to make it easier with the wiring at least and it was delayed and he was generous offering this instead or money back if we wouldn´t want to continue waiting for some months more. So this is more of the standard DIY solution but with premade cables.  I believe I got the wiring figured out  but it will not be easy to fit it nice in a case that is perhaps the absolute hardest part of it. 

Have you been using the Jason Sandlin complete build guide for the IONI ,,,? i'll put a link to it anyways as it's a good read for anyone interested in this build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ry9t85eldwmya32/BuildGuideonProjectBruteForce.pdf?dl=0

I had a little time to compare the lenze Argon kit from Dennis and the Ioni mige kit from Ollie. They are both great wheels and a step up from what I previously tried. (g27 -> fanatec porsche gt2 -> CSW v1 -> CSW V2 -> Accuforce).

The lenze was around 2 times as much at the price I bought it for. The lenze definitely feels slightly better when you run both motors back to back. It has a more refined and smoother feel to it. Not to say the mige is bad in any way. It actually feels really good and a step up from what I have tried before. I would be very happy if I had the mige only especially at the price it currently sells for.

Ollie's kit is a bit more work but pretty straightforward once you know where everything goes. The solution from Dennis with the enclosure is a really nice plug and play solution with minimal set up needed and the enclosure looks excellent.

https://youtu.be/ITrytOOrZ8k

Hey Aqib, thanks for the feedback, this is the type of thing a lot of people are looking for, to make a decision.

I have read and heard this before "more refined and smoother"...but can you put that into context of driving.  Servo motors should all be smooth as they dont use gears, and what does refined mean in this case, perhaps can you elaborate a bit more.

It is quite tricky to explain as the differences are subtle and you wouldn't be able to tell unless you drive them back to back. They are both smooth don't get me wrong but the lenze just has the edge when you are going round a corner. The feel of the road comes through clearer which you especially notice when turning on the Lenze compared to the Mige and this is where the smoother feel comes into play. I think it is down to the different characteristics of the motors. 

When it comes to the more refined feel you notice it most on the rumble strips and road bumps in iracing. The rumble strips and bumps come through just that little bit better on the lenze and it feels more refined and slightly clearer.

I still think the Mige is the best value for money. It is very close to the lenze and most poeple would be very happy with the Mige. The lenze is for those who just need to have the best and a lot of it is down to personal preference. The person who I bought the Lenze from bought a Bodnar v2 wheel and he said he just preferred the less chatty feel of the Bodnar so it really does depend on the person. The new mige encoders coming from HRS should bridge the gap even more and seem like a great upgrade for $200 + $40 shipping to the UK. 

I went with the lenze but will be eventually getting a second one for a second rig. The hrs motor would be an interesting comparison as the chap says it's designed to compete with the feel of the lenze.

Aqib / jimmy - did (or can) either of you try your setups with any titles besides iRacing?  

I know a lot of the DD discussion centers arounds nuances with iRacing's model, but I'd like to see some comparisons, videos, and impressions with some of the other titles.  For me specifically, my title of choice is R3E.

Aqib / jimmy - did (or can) either of you try your setups with any titles besides iRacing?

I know a lot of the DD discussion centers arounds nuances with iRacing's model, but I'd like to see some comparisons, videos, and impressions with some of the other titles. For me specifically, my title of choice is R3E.

Sounds likea good Saturday recording session. Your request is granted. I'll have something posted up soon.

The reason why so many people with osw also run Iracing is because the ffb has a very high torque bandwidth, kind of like dynamic range with an expensive speaker system. games such as pcars have all these elaborate settings for ffb but if you muck with them a bunch you'll find many of them limit the range of torque rather than widen it. My point being that the osw is pretty great on the game once the settings have been messed with, but nothing works quite as perfectly right from the get go like Iracing.

I should point out though, raceroom racing is my favorite simcade racer for PC, and I finished tinkering with settings last week, so I look forward to posting the video of impressions.

I know a lot of the DD discussion centers arounds nuances with iRacing's model, but I'd like to see some comparisons, videos, and impressions with some of the other titles. For me specifically, my title of choice is R3E.

Here ya go.

Notes: this will make sense once you watch.. Some corrections from the video regarding things I said / meant to say:

A person CAN drift a car in real life if they are good enough, but not likely through the corner called "madness" at mid ohio.

What i refer to as Realistic force feedback refers to how well it communicates the cars behavior on the track, not how accurate it is to real life.

The tripples screen setup you see pictured does not look nice with R3E because there's no way to tell the game what angle they're positioned at.

Enjoy the video. I ramble a bit, And I even had to pause recording to take a call, so please bare with me. I didnt have much time yesterday to make this video.

Wow, thanks for making that Jimmy!!

I know everyone talks about iRacing because of the FF headroom/fidelity/etc, which makes sense, except I don't play iRacing.  Hate to invest this much brain power and money figuring out the best route if at the end it won't matter (unless on iRacing).

I love Mid Ohio.  Based on the speed and sound I'm guessing that was a gt2 car (prob the BMW)?  I'm surprised how much front end grip you seemed to have; the car almost seemed reluctant to oversteer unless you were on one of Mid Ohio's many rollercoaster type bends.  Did I mention I love that track? 

I don't know if its just me, but every time I hear a comment like "its pretty easy to setup, once you do a few simple things" they usually start going into menus like you did that make my head spin!  That seemed like a lot of settings to figure out.  I really want an easy wheel to setup and use, and I keep going in circles between the MiGe, Lenze, and AF.

You looked like you were having a lot of fun in this video!  (subscribed to your channel)

All the DD wheel I have tried have worked pretty well in most sims (that's right I'm calling AC a sim  :eek:) and are a definite improvement over the fanatec csw V2 but DD wheels really do shine in Iracing. With my CSW v2 and v1 I used to prefer the force feedback in Assetto Corsa over Iracing but since using DD wheels I have found I much preferred the feel in Iracing. 

You will need to do some tweaking in the menus for all the wheels but once you have it set up how you like there isn't much changing of the settings. The AF does need quite a bit of tuning and understanding all the options to get it feeling how you like it though compared to the OSW wheels. I would highly recommend the Mige as it is by far the best value out of the three. 

If anyone is interested here are the AC settings for the Lenze I have settled on after some testing: 

Granity Settings:
Torque bandwidth limit (TBW): 330Hz

MMOS Settings: 
Overall Filter: 5
Min Force: 0
Max Force: 100

Damping Filter: 64
Friction Filter: Off
Inertia Filter: Off

User Effect:
Damper: 80%
Saturation: 30%

Assetto Corsa Settings:
Gain: 100% - FFB level set individually in each car
Everything else at 0
All comes down to personal preference but the extra damping really helps with the oscillations in AC and you still get plenty of detail with the Lenze. 

And finally a video of me trying to tame the Zonda R around the Nordschleife Tourist, one of my favourite combos in AC: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykTC9xPT9A