Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unofficial OSW owners thread (aka osw owners share your pics)

338 posts in this topic

Pcars works well. You just have to run the ffb settings lower than they come default. Otherwise itl be too heavy. R3e worked and recognized the wheel but it needs many settings adjustments in game. I'll report more on that in the coming days. Some osw guys report crashes. I've had a few but otherwise it works fine. Videos coming very soon.

Have any of you had any issue with the soft lock not working and the wheel getting in some endless rotation? AF owners free to chime in also. I ask because I plan to use a button box with usb and that would kill it for sure as there is no safety release for it´s usb cable.

@jimmyhigh - thanks for the unboxing, especially loved your excitement when using wheel in other video too. How are you finding your OSW after a few weeks ownership? With the lenze kit you bought from Dennis, was it pretty much plug in and play, with no further hardware tinkering but just configuration chamges from game to game?

Happy with the premium you paid to get the lenze motor and "electronics in a case" one stop, no messing solution? Im still on fence between ollie's mige kit (a lot lot cheaper), the lenze kit from dennis (high quality servo, great bundle with psu in case etc, open source, non proprietary), or the latest version of bodnar (high quality build, esp. with the controller/psu, choice of kollmorgens, turnkey, but proprietary, v. expensive).

Cheers

if you're on the fence but you can afford a bodnar why not go for it since it is a turnkey solution?

IMO the small mige is the best value, one can always swap out with a new direct drive motor.

yes, if one is not shy going a DIY route, it can be a lot more enjoyable as the community adds their knowledge to make a better product. Recently iRacing received a one of these based on the small mige I believe and is testing it. This will improve their support for DD wheels in the future.

I certainly wouldnt pay 4 thousand dollars to get a direct drive wheel from bodnar. Id say ollies kit is the best deal. I inquired to ollie first, but he never responded, and i heard so many good comments from other iracing members about dennis, so i went for the lenze kit. The kit I got from Dennis is working great. Well worth it just under 3k.

As expected I ran into EMI issues briefly, not quite as bad as others. EMI (electro magnetic interference) is not too bad. It means the wheel will show a disconnect, or sometimes it affects other components like bodnar sli devices, etc.

I already heard about it on the Iracing forums so I was prepared. Apowered USB Hub, and running ground wires from a mounting bolt on the Lenze to the 8020 solves the issues. Also ran a ground wire from my protosimtec pt1 pedals USB box to the rig to remove occasional spikes in load cell. Everything is smooth sailing and it really wasn't hard to deal with.

Here's a video of the Aston at Canada. Broke into the 1:14's finaly!

I'm not checking this thread anymore because I want to put my head I the drywall I can't wait any longer Haha. Way too excited.

Really happy to hear you and thirsty are having a great experience jimmy high.

You made the right call! But bodnar wheel is a top flight but of kit no question...most trusted system by race teams.

I find this statement so confusing. You don't have to mess about with tuning the AF if you don't want to.  You don't even have to use the sim commander software, in which case the wheel will be setup exactly the same as an OSW, just with less torque. 

That's true, there are only a few settings that I use to acheive the feel I want in SimCommander. What SC4 does provide is an optional FFB system that can bypass the game FFB. I find this very useful and it allows me to have the FFB I want in virtually any game; even Pcars and Dirt Rally can have awesome FFB.

I haven't tried an OSW-type wheel yet but, I'd like to to one day. For now, I'm enjoying the AF and I hope that there is a tuning solution as versatile as SimCommander for it one day.

. Id say ollies kit is the best deal. I inquired to ollie first, but he never responded, 

Ollie's kit does look very good for those persons like myself who don't want to get into the DIY thing too deep. 

I think the response to Ollie's SIM-ple kit has been overwhelming and he is really busy right now. 

I'm No.43 on Ollie's 1st batch; still no news about the delivery time, so if you're thinking about Ollie's kit be prepared for some delays as Ollie works out the teething issues. 

One thing im waiting for is a direct drive wheel option or preset in pcars. That would be spendid. I'd rather muck with sim commander if I had a AF then muddle around the pcars ffb settings. You DO have to detune the ffb in pcars with an osw. It feels very good once I messed with settings in the menu and pit box, but hell, even my t500 wheel felt over saturated with stock ffb in pcars. Who were they trying to impress? Lol. If slightly mad studios has someone on payroll in charge of ffb tuning and optimizing, they need to put him on a leave of absence. Lol. Jk. We all need to keep our day jobs and push forward.

For all those who are waiting on direct drive wheels, I feel your pain. Ive been ready for one since April. Sold a Ducati motorcycle just to afford one!! ( been riding for 12 years so it was time to put the deadly lifestyle on hold for a while). First I had the AF on order, then changed my mind and then more waiting. Lol.

ill post up vids of me making an ass of myself as requested if you need some video footage to laugh at to ease the wait time. research and post up questions as they arrise. Its less time for you guys mucking with stuff once your wheel of choice arrives.

Jimmy high, that's some serious dedication.

I broke my neck on a motorcycle, 5 no-fault accidents...all idiot drivers...nerve damage and permanent injuries still affect me.

....you should get an old bike and make it loud!

Got my lenze today - someone was selling theirs and I couldn't resist even though I have a small mige one from ollie coming....

Ok I get the fuss over DD now...I didn't see what the hype was with the accuforce...

It is so good I don't want to leave my rig and the torque is just fantastic and you can really feel it. You can feel everything and it is really smooth and doesn't have that sandy feeling of the accuforce. The lenze really is another league imo. Can't wait to compare it to Ollie's kit which will hopefully be here next week. Should be an interesting comparison.

The seller also had this lovely mount made for his CSW panels and i had to have it. Looks lovely and stops the flex my panels had before...

post-20537-0-63514100-1441474343_thumb.j

post-20537-0-35339700-1441474363_thumb.j

post-20537-0-68071200-1441474381_thumb.j

I certainly wouldnt pay 4 thousand dollars to get a direct drive wheel from bodnar. Id say ollies kit is the best deal. I inquired to ollie first, but he never responded, and i heard so many good comments from other iracing members about dennis, so i went for the lenze kit. The kit I got from Dennis is working great. Well worth it just under 3k.

As expected I ran into EMI issues briefly, not quite as bad as others. EMI (electro magnetic interference) is not too bad. It means the wheel will show a disconnect, or sometimes it affects other components like bodnar sli devices, etc.

I already heard about it on the Iracing forums so I was prepared. Apowered USB Hub, and running ground wires from a mounting bolt on the Lenze to the 8020 solves the issues. Also ran a ground wire from my protosimtec pt1 pedals USB box to the rig to remove occasional spikes in load cell. Everything is smooth sailing and it really wasn't hard to deal with.

Here's a video of the Aston at Canada. Broke into the 1:14's finaly!

Is that your phone you are using for the gear in the video? How did you mount it?

Mounting a phone to take the footage, I used a speaker stand and drilled holes in the side. Then used a few 8020 10 series L brackets. Its super unstable lol.

Here's the latest if I didn't post it already... https://goo.gl/photos/tVfu7s4XktuDYyth6

The phone used as the dash is HUD dash, and I'm using either a lg g2, or an Alcatel evolve. Just depends. L bracket and some small pieces of black duct tape keep it from jiggling or falling off. Flat top of the Lenze is very friendly to any cell phone to use as sli. That why I didn't get an sli or wheel plate yet.

Mounting a phone to take the footage, I used a speaker stand and drilled holes in the side. Then used a few 8020 10 series L brackets. Its super unstable lol.

Here's the latest if I didn't post it already... https://goo.gl/photos/tVfu7s4XktuDYyth6

The phone used as the dash is HUD dash, and I'm using either a lg g2, or an Alcatel evolve. Just depends. L bracket and some small pieces of black duct tape keep it from jiggling or falling off. Flat top of the Lenze is very friendly to any cell phone to use as sli. That why I didn't get an sli or wheel plate yet.

Thanks! I was looking for some AC settings =D

What settings are you using for Project cars?

For pcars I adjusted the gain to 1.0 under ffb calibration, if I remember correctly. Ffb overall at anywhere between 50-60. I still haven't dialed it in much. Most times I adjust ffb via pitbox settings just before a race

Ollie's kit does look very good for those persons like myself who don't want to get into the DIY thing too deep. 

I think the response to Ollie's SIM-ple kit has been overwhelming and he is really busy right now. 

I'm No.43 on Ollie's 1st batch; still no news about the delivery time, so if you're thinking about Ollie's kit be prepared for some delays as Ollie works out the teething issues. 

hi there do you have a link for this kit

You can contact Ollie at http://[email protected] or http://[email protected], as mentioned above, Ollie is quite busy, so he might take a while to reply.

Ollie recently reported a bug in his SIM-ple motherboard and has put the SIM-ple project on hold for the moment, you can however, order an alternative to the SIM-ple system.

The website does not show much: http://www.sim-pli.city

The kit consists of the following:

• MiGE 130ST-M10010 (AC servo motor)
  • Mean Well PSP-600-48 (600W 48V motor PSU)
  • Mean Well RS-25-24 (25W 24V logic PSU)
  • IONICUBE X1 (servo drive controller motherboard)
  • IONI Pro (servo drive controller that plugs into IONICUBE)
  • Discovery Shield with interface cables (seats STM32F4Discovery, provides PSU protection, terminates motor power, logic power, Enable Switch, Emergency Stop, Motor feedback and interfaces with IONICUBE)
  • STM32F4Discovery Board (Plugs into Discovery Shield, runs firmware to control wheel)
  • Pre-assembled Motor power cable (plugs into IONICUBE X1 and MiGE servo)
  • Pre-assembled motor encoder cable (plugs into Discovery Shield and MiGE servo)
  • Pre-wired Emergency Stop unit (plugs into Discovery Shield)
  • Pre-wired Enable switch (plugs into Discovery Shield)
  • Pre-terminated DC power cables (plug into Discovery Shield and are screwed into the DC outputs of the motor and logic PSUs)
  • IEC Line Filter, fuse, ON/OFF switch combination with cables (to be screwed into the AC inputs of the Mean Well PSUs)
  • An adjustable motor mount
  • A motor shaft to steering wheel adapter
  • 10 Ohm 100W Braking Resistor
  • A 2M Mini USB cable
  • A 2M Micro USB cable
  • USB to RS485 Adapter with 2M RJ45 Cable
  • Detailed instructions for assembly of the above

You will need to provide the wheel of your choice and the enclosure for the kit. Probably something like the Coolermaster Elite 110 should work. Quick release is not required, unless you want to change wheels often. No soldering required.