Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unofficial OSW owners thread (aka osw owners share your pics)

338 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2016 at 10:16 AM, challenger1 said:

Frapster, Do you have a link to your exact setup? I have a Q1R quick release that I have setup on a MoMo 30 that needs a OSW system. I also have a Fanatec CSW v2 wheelbase and Formula 1 carbon wheel that I just took delivery on recently and have yet to use and thinking I am changing my mind now, to late to return them. I should have waited and went full OSW. The thing is though is that to get a full electronics wheel like the Fanatec wheels cost big money from guys like Sam or can I get a universal button plate with USB from someone? 

Has anyone used this quick release?  I keep hearing the Q1R quick release is the only quick release that doesn't develop play on OSWs.  Does this one develop any play?  I'm looking for a quick release solution less expensive than the Q1R for my 3 rims.

13 hours ago, Spinelli said:

Has anyone used this quick release?  I keep hearing the Q1R quick release is the only quick release that doesn't develop play on OSWs.  Does this one develop any play?  I'm looking for a quick release solution less expensive than the Q1R for my 3 rims.

If your on about the Fanatec QR from simracingbay i've got one on my OSW and it works great ,,although  i did have some slight play in my older BMW rim but my brand new Formula rim had none ,,so on closer inspection i realized my new Formula rim has an O-ring at the bottom of the QR but my older BMW rim did not ,,, After sourcing a brand new rim QR with the O-ring it cured the slight play in the BMW rim that i was experiencing so all is good again,,,

Hello, I'm new here and really want an OSW. Considering that I can get a nice Thrustmaster wheel for $180, there has to be a cheaper way.  $500 for a wheel with buttons/shifters is too much for me.  Is there any way convert a name brand to be usable, or someone with fair prices?  

Edit: Great thread by the way, and really appreciate Jimmys input and videos.  Subscribed to his channel

@That Dude There,

I agree that it's hard to spend so much, but OSW is an expensive hobby, isn't it?  Be mindful of all the little things that are part of the project because those little costs add up (even adapters and bolts are a cost factor).  When it comes to using a high end motor you'll want a wheel that can take the torque, so expect to spend at least a few hundred for something of decent quality.  I'm not sure you'd get good results from taking a wheel built for a 2 Nm force motor and putting it on something generating 20 Nm.  And even then, the work to re-wire existing buttons can be considerable.

I think you have two basic options for getting yourself a decent wheel that can manage an OSW motor - spend a lot of money, or a lot of time.  You can always pay for a completed wheel and the problem is solved, but those are at least $500, probably closer to $1000.  Or, you DIY, which means you'll need electrical skills and will need to buy a number of bits yourself to put it all together (Soldering).  Look up @SteveS, he seems to know about this sort of thing and sells wheels and components around here.

JonnyK

Thank you JonnyK.

The OSR team (Unkle, Calvin, Nick & myself) all started publishing our builds on the ISRTV site...

I have created a OSR web page with hardware used for making your own button plate or race wheel. 

https://opensimrigs.com/collections/electronic-hardware

Also our DIY page for button plates & enclosures

https://opensimrigs.com/collections/button-plates

Also our page on magnetic paddles

https://opensimrigs.com/collections/paddles

Building you own button plate or race wheel is honestly easy, soldering is a skill that is very easy to learn, wiring is super simple using the DSD Micro Circuit.

Nick & SebJ have both built DIY OSW wheels, so advice is only a email away...

Martin Ashers OSW document is outstanding

http://ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf

On 2/17/2017 at 1:05 AM, JonnyK said:

@That Dude There,

I agree that it's hard to spend so much, but OSW is an expensive hobby, isn't it?  Be mindful of all the little things that are part of the project because those little costs add up (even adapters and bolts are a cost factor).  When it comes to using a high end motor you'll want a wheel that can take the torque, so expect to spend at least a few hundred for something of decent quality.  I'm not sure you'd get good results from taking a wheel built for a 2 Nm force motor and putting it on something generating 20 Nm.  And even then, the work to re-wire existing buttons can be considerable.

I think you have two basic options for getting yourself a decent wheel that can manage an OSW motor - spend a lot of money, or a lot of time.  You can always pay for a completed wheel and the problem is solved, but those are at least $500, probably closer to $1000.  Or, you DIY, which means you'll need electrical skills and will need to buy a number of bits yourself to put it all together (Soldering).  Look up @SteveS, he seems to know about this sort of thing and sells wheels and components around here.

JonnyK

I've been digging, and when I'm ready for an OSW settup, this is the place I will most likely go: http://www.simracingcoach.com/en/tienda/

An affordable custom wheel, or the adapter for a thrustmaster.  The complete wheel is not to much more that a TM Ferrari Evo wheel at $179 plus $99 adapter.  I question the plastic connection also, but it's probably fine. 

Hello,

Can someone tell me if this motor will work for OSW? I bought this, so I hope it was a good purchase. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232255115720?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't know if this was posted here yet, but here is a DIY OSW: https://chippedwood.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/mitsubishi-hf-sp102-ac-servo-motor-replacing-the-encoder/

Ok big mistake ordering that motor.  I have heard from Beano over at the bruteforce 3 thread at iracing, and the motor must have a quadrature incremental encoder.  So that means if it doesn't, you have to swap encoders with one.  I also spoke with Kuka, and their motors not only don't have the right type of encoders, but they don't use encoders at all. So for me, I would stick with ordering from https://www.simracingcoach.com/en/contenido/kit-augury-osw/ for a ready kit, and use their adapter for my wheel.  Debating between that and the TS-PC for a temporary fix.  I do need all the money I can use for a full motion 3DOF simulator.  Yes I've been busy on xsimulator.com reading non stop since I was last here. :) 

@That Dude There,

Yeah, you don't want to jump in to buying motors like that.  Even one particular model of motor can come in a variety of specifications, hence the long complicated part numbers.  Not only does the encoder matter, but also specifics of how the motor is wound, it's torque ratings at different RPM, etc.  It's very complex, and the easiest option is to go with an existing configuration that other guys have been using.  I've been learning much myself.  Rather than try to list it all out here, I recommend you check out my own thread where I've been going through it all.

JonnyK

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, stevemontuno said:

If your on about the Fanatec QR from simracingbay i've got one on my OSW and it works great ,,although  i did have some slight play in my older BMW rim but my brand new Formula rim had none ,,so on closer inspection i realized my new Formula rim has an O-ring at the bottom of the QR but my older BMW rim did not ,,, After sourcing a brand new rim QR with the O-ring it cured the slight play in the BMW rim that i was experiencing so all is good again,,,

I'm guessing you have the older spec BMW GT2 rim.  There were at least 2 versions.  I owned both at the same time.  Definitely slight differences between the two.

Does anyone know at all where I can get a case and back panel for OSW stuff?

I've had my small mige 20nm for almost 2 years now, and just chucked all the cables and circuit boards/psu into a small case without bothering to secure everything. I've finally got round to trying to sort it out properly - The problem is everyone has gone to Simicube cases so i can find plenty of cases for sale where someone has built it specifically for simicube, but i need the 3d printed stuff that random people were making for sale, before the era of Simicube. 

They are definitely out there but i'm struggling to find them - anyone have any idea??  I'm looking for backplates for the small cases people were using like a year ago - Coolermaster 130 i think was the popular one, and people were then making backplates so you could fit all the switches nice and flush with the back. 

this is how i've been running it all this time, its a mess....

Bgxs2a9l.jpg