Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Unofficial OSW owners thread (aka osw owners share your pics)

338 posts in this topic

Hello All, I'll soon be joining the OSW ranks. I'm piecing together my setup, Argon controlled Kollmorgen AKM53.

My day job is a machine tool builder in the coil line automation industry and we had the motor in question returned by a customer. They stated the motor was bad and after having it sit on our parts shelf for almost 2 years, I claimed it. After proper approval first, LOL, I'll be bringing it home with me. I've already tested it with a drive we had powered up and it tested fine. It should be good to go for a OSW project.

I found an Argon drive with a few of the needed accessories FS on the iRacing forum. That should be on its way in the next few days. 

I have my list of what I need to get it powered up.

I can't seem to find a solid wheel to start with. I play iRacing, pCars, Asetto Corsa, Dirt:Rally. I don't want to buy an array of wheels, just to minimize wife aggro. 

Budget Friendly is a plus too, again wife aggro possibility. 

I currently have a G920, but the wheel diameter is too small for my liking. That's part of the reason to jump to OSW and I like to build/tinker with things. 

Edit: looks like I should look for a Sport Line Imola 3

14 hours ago, Devil Inc said:

Edit: looks like I should look for a Sport Line Imola 3

If you find out how to get one in US, please let us know.

You can get APS knock off from here, but this is not the real Sport Line.

Other than that, Sparco P310 is really nice, except for rally you would need round wheel.

5 minutes ago, Andrew_WOT said:

Other than that, Sparco P310 is really nice, except for rally you would need round wheel.

I may be getting a Sport Line Comp from jimmyhigh, looking at buying some of his stock. Thanks for another option.

51 minutes ago, Andrew_WOT said:

I have that one from Competition supplies and it is really good.. better than the OMP Superquardo that I have and really solid.

5 hours ago, Aqib said:

I have that one from Competition supplies and it is really good.. better than the OMP Superquardo that I have and really solid.

Thanks for feedback as I was eyeballing one myself, even tried to contact Crowder's LLC (Sport Line distributor in US) if they can get original.

It will probably hit US market sooner or later but for now APS is the best bet.

No offense meant here but why hasnt this thread taken off? I am hopefully soon going to be making the Direct Drive plunge and was hoping this thread would be more active . I would have thougth more people would be doing the same also. I have gotten rid of most of my newer wheels and bases to make room for the Direct Drive parts and equipment that I will be needing. Is this technology still to new? Just trying to readup on the best option for DD and pricing so far but there isnt much here. 

24 minutes ago, challenger1 said:

No offense meant here but why hasnt this thread taken off? I am hopefully soon going to be making the Direct Drive plunge and was hoping this thread would be more active . I would have thougth more people would be doing the same also. I have gotten rid of most of my newer wheels and bases to make room for the Direct Drive parts and equipment that I will be needing. Is this technology still to new? Just trying to readup on the best option for DD and pricing so far but there isnt much here. 

None taken by me. I'm actually in the process of putting my Argon/AKM53 setup together. I own a 3D printer, so I hope to incorporate some printed pieces into the setup. It took me a few weeks to get an accurate list of parts ordered. I found out once I ordered my Ascher Racing servo mount that I have one with an alternate mounting flange (smaller). So I designed an adapter plate, sent that out to a few local machine shops, waited and waited for quotes back. All were too expensive or couldn't get it done in a timely fashion. Plan B order the material and make it myself. 

I was hoping to have everything up and running this weekend, but it may be next weekend before I can actually wheel with the setup.

The tech isn't new, it's been around a few years. Seems a lot of people have gone to the smaller IONI/Simucube setups. There's at least 3 threads on the iRacing forum dedicated to the 3 major 'DIY' DD setups, look in the Hardware section if you're on there. 

Pricing is really determined by budget. Are you okay with an out of the box wheel, like Accuforce, or would you prefer to go straight to say a Formula style 260mm wheel and have way more torque than you possibly need?

I'm jumping ship from a G920 to my DD setup, the G290 was fine for casual use, but after paying for iRacing it just felt lacking. I plan to post some updates of my setup here in the next few days or week.

5 hours ago, challenger1 said:

isrtv is a ghost town these days with only Sell/Buy section seeing any sort of regular activity. 

Yeah, agree, it's a bit quiet nowadays. I assume there's a lot more discussion about this on iracing. Well, I've heard some of them like to come over here to sell stuff they don't need anymore ;-).

My Sparco 310 has arrived with Brett Stiles of HRS - he's building my new wheel plate...looking forward to it.

Looks good to me. 

It was brought to my attention this morning over on the iRacing board, my motor is resolver based and that's gonna be no good for OSW. One of the guys suggested a possible encoder I could add, so I sent a quote request. Here's to hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel. 

On 17.10.2016 at 0:54 PM, Thirsty said:

Yeah, agree, it's a bit quiet nowadays. I assume there's a lot more discussion about this on iracing. Well, I've heard some of them like to come over here to sell stuff they don't need anymore ;-).

My Sparco 310 has arrived with Brett Stiles of HRS - he's building my new wheel plate...looking forward to it.

Brett made my custum plate aswell. Awsome guy to deal with and realy Nice products. You havent gone wrong there ?

Hi OSW-owners, can I join the club? Since last week I own a Argon/KollMorgen 52 setup (ad was on this forum) and my brother described it best: "Well you've done it, I was always very sceptical about investing so much in your "toy" car, but now I can only acknowledge, all of it together with this wheel feels like a real car."  

I must agree, it feels heavenly and scary realistic. So far I am very happy, but.... I would like to lower the amount of standalone devices. In the current setup, the OSW needs an USB port, so do the pedals, then there is the shifter and one more for the handbrake. Soon I'll be getting a Fi-tech steering wheel which needs another USB port. That's already 5 ports for the sim euiqpment, plus 2 for Oculus, 1 for wireless headset, 1 for keyboard and mouse, makes up for a total of 9. I can only imagine this negatively effects the pc performance that's left for the game itself, but that's not the reason I decided to ask around for a solution. There are some games, like WRC6 and FH3, that don't even support that many direct input devices. Now there arent exactly my favorites, but for example I found Dirt Rally to give me a lot of problems setting-up all those loose devices.

So, my question is, is there a possibility to connect multiple devices to the Argon servo drive? Like the simucube is supposed to get/have?

And if so, where do I find the information, (it's not in the argon wiki and I'm not yet involved in iracing, so no access to their forums). 

20161012_142734.jpg

I believe you should be able to wire a few devices to the Discovery board, like pedals, button box, etc. Don't quote me on it though. Here's one thing to consider, I honestly don't believe the attached devices will saturate the USB pipeline and cause bottlenecks. I'm using all of the 6 on-board USB ports as well as 5 of 7 on my powered hub and I notice zero "lag".

Hi Devil, I hope you're right about the lack of lag! I have to agree I didn't notice the USB devices having an impact in any game, but Dirt definitely doesn't like MMos. I had to dail down a significant amount of graphical settings after the OSW got installed, and when changing MMos values while in that specific game, MMos does this latency thing where the values keep going up or down for a second after you let go of the mouse button. This doesn't happen with other games, but that's another story. 

About connecting to the Disco board, that does make a lot of sense now that I'm using my brain. But this also suggest that argon, ionic and simucube shouldn't differ on this front, which is not the feeling I got after reading the pro's from simucube... I thought I read somewhere that pedals and shifters could easily connect to the simucube, presented as an advantage over the other two. Please forgive any thinking errors for it's all very new to me and there's a lot of information to absorb!

I can't attest to the graphics issue as I don't have my Argon based OSW up and running yet. I've seen the latency issue in other scenarios before. Just curious, what's the specs of your PC? It is possible that Dirt:Rally is just not optimized completely yet and is a resource hog. I don't think it's out of Beta just yet, I'd have to look into that as well.

The Disco board/chip is integrated into the Simucube from what I read, it does have a pair of USB Micro A connectors, and possibly 2 USB header connectors. Again I've just been dealing with the Argon based stuff, so I may be wrong. Guess I should research it some more. 

I'd be curious to see if there's monitoring software that can trend the USB channels during heavy usage and it's effects on the other sub-systems.

EDIT: Looks like Windows may have some monitoring abilities built-in. 

Pc specs:  - Liquid cooled 6600k at 4.6ghz, - MSI GAMING X8 GTX1080, - 32gb ddr4, - SSD

Hi Seb! Okay I won't be bothered by the amount of USB ports being used, but still there are some games that won't support this kind of setup. How do you guys deal with it? Or are all the serious sims capable? Like iracing, AC, Dirt (sort of serious), I'm stuck in VR so those are the ones I suppose? 

Okay hold your horses... You guys aren't trying to say that connecting the disco, steering wheel plate, pedals, shifter and handbrake to an USB hub makes the computer think they are all one direct input device??? As if they are merged by the USB hub? That doesn't seem right, just double checking...

P.s. Hi Andrew! I chose Carsten because I want something different, like a typical road car wheel, without all the bells and whistles, just two thick alu paddlesshifters and a connected horn button. : ) If he nails it, I'll be ordering a typical rally wheel with 1 big flipper as well. I like Ascher as well, maybe for a GT wheel later on. Did you get a chance to try the Dirt FFB settings yet?