Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think PD nerfed the G27 in GT5 on purpose?

11 posts in this topic

A little basic info on the subject: the Logitech G27 is misssing some features in GT5 that appear conspicuously like an intentional nerf of the product.

The L3 and R3 (outside red buttons on the shifter) do not work at all but they did in GT5P. They simply don't respond in GT5.

The bottom 4 buttons oon the wheel don't work at all, they did in GT5P albeit they were repeates (ie all 6 buttons only counted as L2 or and R2 on respective sides of the wheel).

You cannot access the RA menu from a G27 but you can from a G25. When assigned to any button, the RA Menu function does nothing.

So basically the G25 works as it should across the board, the G27 is crippled on a few fronts.

PD have said that isues with Logitech are due to firmware operations or otherwise pointed the fimger at Logitech for G25/G27 however none of that seems to hold up as the only specific issue ever brought up was shifting which ahs somehow been fixed despite Logitech not releasing any fimware to fix it. The rest of the issue is simply button functionality and the buttons on the G27 work in other games (including GT5P) so it isn't like the PS3 just can't see the buttons or anything.

With the upcoming Thrustmaster wheel it seems awfully coincidental that the G27 is missing some very strange functionality, but it seems very convenient that it nerfs arguably the T500's biggest competitor in a non critical but quite annoying way...

Add on top of this that the T500 H shifter won't be out for a few months after the wheel/pedals will and the wheel seems to be kind of shy on buttons by itself and it seems perhaps nerfing some buttons avoid the G27 from actually being better than the T500 right out of the box.

One might wonder why the G25 wouldn't get a nerf also but since it's not manufactured anymore, it's not really a marketplace competitor for the T500 and actually the fact that it works kind of strenghthens my belief that it's an intentional hit from PD on the G27 as it's obviously possible to get a wheel with less buttons and functions completely supported.

This is all considering that the wheel works fine in other games on the PS3 and on the PC (so it's again not just a case of the PS3 can't use certain buttons) and logitechs own staff have said that button mapping (and what's available) is up to the game devs:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PLAYSTATI ... d-p/404863

And it really seems like PD have played some dirty poker here with the G27...

Something does seem fishy about what you've said and It may be PD talking rubbish IF the G25 works perfectly fine but the G27. 1 question have is do you have a codemasters title (Dirt 2, F1 2010 etc) because they have excellent control mapping for wheels, IF you dont have any issues there then I think It may be somethin on PD's end but that's just me and thx for the info I'm sure alot of G27 owners maybe going through the same problem you going through.

Even if it's true I don't see it's a big deal. I really don't think anyone will pay $600 just to have more working buttons on a wheel. Hopefully this new wheel has a lot more to offer than just buttons.

As mostly a PC gamer I use to using a wheel and mouse and keyboard so I have no problem using a controller with a wheel.(Thankfully we can in GT5) With both a wheel and a controller I have all the buttons I need. Don't even need to use those buttons on my shifter. Still it would have been nice if I could mapped all 6 buttons on the g27 but at least I have two for looking left and right.

Even if it's true I don't see it's a big deal. I really don't think anyone will pay $600 just to have more working buttons on a wheel. Hopefully this new wheel has a lot more to offer than just buttons.

As mostly a PC gamer I use to using a wheel and mouse and keyboard so I have no problem using a controller with a wheel.(Thankfully we can in GT5) With both a wheel and a controller I have all the buttons I need. Don't even need to use those buttons on my shifter. Still it would have been nice if I could mapped all 6 buttons on the g27 but at least I have two for looking left and right.

While it's not likely people would pay $600 to upgrade from a G27 to a T500, it is one more thing to push those buying a new wheel anyway towrads the T500... It's natural human nature to have a fear of getting the less functional item for fear that missing functionality will nag or ruin the experience for them. So by throwing in a few niggling issues, PD have skewed the market a little more in their favor as now it's not just two high quality wheels with clutch and h shifter which it would be tempting to save $300+ on by getting the cheaper one... the cheaper one now doesn't even have some of the functions the more expensive one does.

On a rational level $300+ is still a huge chunk of change to go rationlizing, but along with the other benefits (flipable pedals and higher torque motor) it doesn't hurt from PD's point of view.

Something does seem fishy about what you've said and It may be PD talking rubbish IF the G25 works perfectly fine but the G27. 1 question have is do you have a codemasters title (Dirt 2, F1 2010 etc) because they have excellent control mapping for wheels, IF you dont have any issues there then I think It may be somethin on PD's end but that's just me and thx for the info I'm sure alot of G27 owners maybe going through the same problem you going through.

Yes the G27 works great on older games, it's fully customizeable in F12010 and works fine with Dirt 2 and even Grid (you do have to do some remapping for some games to get it optimal but that's to be expected with any peripheral - the point is it's possible).

I am pretty sure it's all on PDs end... the wheel has been proven to function fully on the PS3 by virtue of other games and the two biggest issues simply don't seem possible to be a wheel problem - the L3 and R3 buttons worked in GT5P which means it's not a wheel problem and the RA menu doesn't work even when mapped to buttons that work for other features so that's not a wheel issue either.

What do you do for your headlights and wipers?

I am using the G25, and it works quite well. I'm not sure about the braking sensitivity ISR mentioned with most logitech wheels. I did not have that problem, even with ABS turned off. I tried my DFGT and for me it was unusable, but my feet have become used to the heavier braking spring in the stock G25 pedals so that does not tell me much.

What do you do for your headlights and wipers?

I am using the G25, and it works quite well. I'm not sure about the braking sensitivity ISR mentioned with most logitech wheels. I did not have that problem, even with ABS turned off. I tried my DFGT and for me it was unusable, but my feet have become used to the heavier braking spring in the stock G25 pedals so that does not tell me much.

I mapped a button for high beam/low beam and I don't have a button for wipers.

The G25 works fine, the G27 is the only one that got the nerf.

I mapped a button for high beam/low beam and I don't have a button for wipers.

The G25 works fine, the G27 is the only one that got the nerf.

You can map the wipers in the controller.

SO you got your wheel connected and you are using the dualshock for all the others? I did not know it would allow you to use two like that. That's pretty cool if that is how it works.

You have to set the controller number to 1. After that you can set map your controller and use it with your wheel.

SO you got your wheel connected and you are using the dualshock for all the others? I did not know it would allow you to use two like that. That's pretty cool if that is how it works.

Yes the DS3 can work along side a wheel if it's set to controller 1. This allows you to map any number of things INCLUDING RA.

It is kind of a pain though as you have to go set the controller each time (wheels take input1 by default) and if the controller falls asleep you are in a sticky wicket for a while during a race.

It's a workaround, but it doens't mean the wheel isn't broken/nerfed.