Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weekly ISR Forum Hot Lap?

10 posts in this topic

I was playing Project Cars last night and fiddling with my PS4, and I noticed that it is REALLY simple and easy to upload video from the game to youtube.  Would anyone here be interested in maybe having some sort of a friendly weekly hot lap competition?  We could post a video of the lap, and write a couple notes with it about their settings such as "I'm using paddle-shift and auto clutch" or "no assists, H-pattern shift" or include FFB settings, etc.

I thought it might be fun to do since it's easy to upload, and we can see each other's styles  :cool:  The winner of each week can choose the track and car for the next week.  I know I'm probably one of the less-experienced drivers here....so I don't expect to do well LOL, but I think it could be fun :)

With the good attitudes of everyone here, I would expect this to be a friendly experience with posting laps and having conversations....but if it becomes the usual internet pissing contest we can stop doing this LOL.

On a side note, I don't know how hard it is to capture video with the PC or Xbox1....but with smartphones being so popular it would still be easy to do a screenshot or video from that too hopefully.  I don't want to exclude anyone that is using a different format.

First week: Mazda Raceway @ Laguna Seca in the Ariel Atom 300 Supercharged

Who's in?

I put a lap down last night, but I expect if anyone else does this it will become apparent how slow my lap was. :lol:

I had just installed my Ricmotech Load Cell mod in my pedals, and was trying to heel-toe downshift (keyword "try").  The mod seems infinitely better than the stock form, but I was having trouble getting used to it.  A big part of that is PCars doesn't have an option in the hud to show pedal inputs unless you swap the entire hud for telemetry.  It would have been nice to see my levels of braking on-screen as I learn how to use this load cell LOL.

Anyways, I am posting up a 1:36.137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoCHwm37cug

I like the idea, I'm just not set up to record my gameplay (hell, I'm mot even set up to race right now since my rig is still in pieces lol) I might look into it though and see if I can find a good (and cheap) way of recording gameplay.

I might try it with my cheap digital camera (or even my phone) and a tripod.  I think it would be more fun to see the battle with the force feedback happening :lol: (I had the on-screen hands & wheel on for a similar reason, normally I have it turned off)

I was honestly surprised that the PS4 has this screen capture technology built-in.  My first instinct was to figure out how to turn it off...that sort of background process is probably robbing me of precious needed resources and causing my framerate to drop.  It constantly runs and when you enter the share menu it has the last 5-10 minutes of gameplay ready to store.  Every-time I see a screen tear effect I think about it LOL

Great job!  That lap looked really smooth

Thanks man, im still really new to sim racing lol. havent quite figured out the tunning yet in game, i was always a drag racer on other games ( mostly forza)

I'm fairly new too.  I played the Gran Turismo series pretty heavily since about 1999-2000, but only with a controller.  I consider myself pretty much a "n00b" when I sit in my rig right now.

Tuning is fun, but can be really time consuming if you get sucked into it.  I haven't even touched car tuning in Project Cars yet for that reason LOL.  In most games you can spend just as much time tuning as you do driving haha.

I did a hotlap guide for Watkins Glen, only did 5 laps though because (frankly) I don't like this car or the game. It's ok, but too much work to optimize all the settings. Here's my poor attempt at commentary (I know, I sound like I'm 9 lol):