Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modding G27 pedals vs buying a new set

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, new user here.  Been lurking and learning a lot by reading your posts, figured I would join.

I just purchased a T300rs wheel and the TH8A shifter & leather GT wheel add-ons, & I also ordered a ricmotech adapter to use my G27 pedals until I can afford a new set (or should I say....till the wife lets me LOL).

Now I've had this G27 set for YEARS and enjoy it.  I know the brake pedal isn't the best....but it can be modded immensely.  Do you think it is worth spending the money and upgrading to a load cell with my G27 pedal set, and invert mounting them in my rig.........or should I just buy something else?  The clubsport V2 pedals look incredible, I especially love the way that new digressive clutch mechanism looks.  Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death (new user making a post asking stupid questions right?  haha), I honestly did try the search function, but mostly just found comparisons from stock G27 to modded.....instead of modded G27 versus a more expensive stock set.  I know these mods are expensive (especially the perfect pedal).....but it might be worth it since I already own the G27 set and to be honest the wheel and shifter are worth basically nothing these days.

PS I have attached a picture of my rig currently, once my T300RS gear gets here it will get torn apart and modified.  It isn't the fanciest by any means, but I have fun with it.  Also probably worth mentioning that I am currently playing on PS3 and PS4 so I wouldn't get any benefits from the added resolutions of going direct USB the PC folks get to enjoy....don't know if that makes a difference in my upgrade questions or not.

Also I am a drafter by trade so I have already had thoughts of making my own DIY plans for a clubsport copycat clutch mechanism for my G27 set if I keep them  :mrgreen:   Another reason I joined is to hopefully share my plans with those two would want them if I am successful. 

post-26093-0-55118600-1433511491_thumb.j

Welcome ,Kev! Great new add ons to your racing setup. If you ask me - enjoy your G27 pedals. You can add some mods to them. No need to jump on expensive pedals sets. G27 pedals do the job. Specialy for consoles racing.

Thank you for your honest opinion :) I figure maybe a load cell or spring mod and I will probably get a few more years out of them.

On another note, I did a crude mock-up of my clutch mod idea.  I have no idea how much spring tension I need to relieve yet, but I think this sort of idea might work

post-26093-0-18621000-1433536371_thumb.j

I just had another look at how fanatec is doing their clutch mechanism, and I have my bottom cam bracket a little backwards.  But having said that, I still think I am not far off from building some basic little metal brackets and trying something :)

I also just purchased a T300 and will be getting the converter to use my G27 pedals with the T300. Like you, I'm a console player and I bought the GTEYE progressive brake spring mod a while ago which was $30 and worth every cent. It adds greater pedal resistance overall as well as excellent progressive resistance. This is a cheap and easy way to greatly enhance the G27 pedals and I highly recommend it.

I am going to have to get myself one of those progressive rate springs. I am thinking about adding a bracket to each pedal to extend them too. I took the g27 pedals apart today and invert mounted them to my rig. Also made a new shifter mount for the th8a :)

My T300rs should be here tuesday, but my ricmotech pedal adapter still hasn't shipped :(

post-26093-0-16426700-1433712506_thumb.j

post-26093-0-46221600-1433712527_thumb.j