Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Episode 92: GT5 Full Review Part 1

81 posts in this topic

It was mentioned in the Full Review that the Logitech Pro Force would not work well because of the large dead zone in the steering. I recieved and downloaded GT5 { 1 hour 5 minutes} last night , and much to my surprise, the Pro Force wheel worked fine with no adjustments having to be made. The pedals were not super sensitive as stated either. This is good and bad news as I was about to dump $500.00 on Club Sport pedals and GT2 wheel. I may hold off for now as that will buy a new set of race tires this spring for my 1:1 SCCA CRX this coming season.

Great work otherwise with the review.

Same with my DFGT. I didn't notice any FFB deadzone.

They also seem to miss the fact that you have to calibrate the pedals every time you start GT5 with Logitech wheels. It is good for DFGT owners since you can stick a sponge behind DFGT brake pedal and still get the full range of brakes (0-100 percent).

Same with my DFGT. I didn't notice any FFB deadzone.

They also seem to miss the fact that you have to calibrate the pedals every time you start GT5 with Logitech wheels. It is good for DFGT owners since you can stick a sponge behind DFGT brake pedal and still get the full range of brakes (0-100 percent).

For you guys that mention "no deadzone." We're talking mechanical deadzone.. The steering is responding, but not like the Fanatec's do. Fanatecs have no play or slop at center. Logitechs do..

In regards to the pedals, I'll try that.. but, I don't have that problem ever with clubsports. Why don't I have to full press those ?

It was mentioned in the Full Review that the Logitech Pro Force would not work well because of the large dead zone in the steering. I recieved and downloaded GT5 { 1 hour 5 minutes} last night , and much to my surprise, the Pro Force wheel worked fine with no adjustments having to be made. The pedals were not super sensitive as stated either. This is good and bad news as I was about to dump $500.00 on Club Sport pedals and GT2 wheel. I may hold off for now as that will buy a new set of race tires this spring for my 1:1 SCCA CRX this coming season.

Great work otherwise with the review.

We never said that it didn't work. We said it wasn't our preferred setup.

Great to hear it's working for you and you saved $500.

For you guys that mention "no deadzone." We're talking mechanical deadzone.. The steering is responding, but not like the Fanatec's do. Fanatecs have no play or slop at center. Logitechs do..

In regards to the pedals, I'll try that.. but, I don't have that problem ever with clubsports. Why don't I have to full press those ?

I still feel no mechanical deadzone from my DFGT in GT5. I turn the wheel a little to the right I feel FFB motor pull toward the left and a little to left then pulls to the right. Now the DFGT spring strength in GT5 increases as you move away from the center. The Fanatec wheel doesn't seem to increase spring strength (or at least it's not a noticeable) as you move away from the center. It's feels like it's all the same strength. Thankfully I can add some deadzone (set 20) so I don't have to fight the wheel down the straight.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Fanatec pedals calibrate just like the Logitech wheel in it's PC profiler. I guess it depends on the software. I have a feeling GT5 is that way because of the DFGT pedals. Still It would been better if GT5 let you change the pedals setting (deadzone,etc.) in option menu like almost every game let you do now days.

I did have a little trouble with calibration using CSP in GT5. A few times the game would show my brakes engaged when I had my foot off the brakes. So far I just reboot Gt5 to solve the problem.

Does this game still have the ridiculous rubber band effect the previous GT's had? I'm hearing it's just been hidden under unrealistic Drafting speed.

???

Unlike Forza GT left the rubber band effect out in GT4, in GT5 Prologue was only present in the begginer online races, not in expert. Also out in the offline races.

There is no rubber band in GT5 and the drafting effect is now more realistic. Try a nascar race.

Do all cars in GT5 sound that bad?

That stock car sounded like a pregnant sewing machine on steroids. :lol:

Depends of the camera placement and your sound setup, with a good 5.1 and 'large theatre' setting the sounds is very nice, also the interior views are mutted I think because they aiming to simulate the sound throught the helmet and the sealed cabin, the exterior view always give the most rich sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnwXGvtftdM#t=3m48s

Oh my. 5 years in the making and the only way to get descent car sounds is to drive from outside the car using a 5.1 sound system?

The more I read about it the more I get the impression the only thing GT5 has going for it is graphics quality....glad I'm not a console gamer.

Hi Guys,

Loved the episode and the thorough and fair assessment of the game to date; just FYI, the song you want to kill from the soundtrack is:

"Baby" (Breakbot Remix) by PNAU.

It winds me up something rotten too, I'm away from my PS3 at the moment so can't check but I've read reports on forums that this particular track doesn't show up on the soundtrack list in game.

New to ISR and going back through previous episodes now - looking forward to future shows too.

Hi new to ISR just thought I would say good review. Looking forward to part 2. (After online damage update) ;)

Sure ALLOT of haters on here. Give it up. It's just a game.

Like I always say, if your gonna bitch about a game get a job making them and do better.

If you guys need a Redbull X1 to test let me know. PSN is same as this.

Have a great day, Keep the shiny side up.

one day i woke up and decied that i have to buy myself a ps3 with gt5. so i went out and did it.. i hooked it up, connected my g25.. went to options menu.. this game does not know what g25 is? or g27? first BIG fail.

then i went to play career.. my first car was honda civic from 92" i think? it's the most ugliest car i have ever seen in last 5 five years as hardcore gamer (simracing and all other games). i just can not believe how developers can be so lame and make 1000 cars, more than half of them ugly as hell, and with no cockpit. only beacuse of this reason, this game can not get a score more then 7/10. NO WAY! imagine for a second, need for speed with this kind of stupidity? everyone would eat EA alive.. in gt5? noone cares? yeah right..

but ok.. i'll just use premium cars? fine..

started racing.. licences are ok, some little too hard but fine. went to a spec. currently im at level 20, and i really can't think of at least one race that i didn't won by at least 10sec. menu with races is one of the worst in gaming ever. most of the time there is no hp limit, no nothing.. so i take my rx7 on the track.. but no! opponents are driving hondas crx? so now im supposed to exit the race? change my car? and drive again? and with all the long loading loose around 5minutes? can't wait. and even when i choose a car that is the same as opponents, they are so slow, that it doesn't even matter.. now i always select the fastest car and won the freakin race.

and then we have specials.. i won all the races, and made all licences gold. but no. there are some speical races that can not be won! well ok, if you are michael shumacher then maybe.. but wtf?! i won every race by 10sec or more, im a sim racer for more than 5 years so i know what im doing! but i can't make all the specials gold.. one race is so easy that i can won it with one hand, while smoking with the other and changing tv chanels.. others, i can't won even in 2 or more hour long sessions.

and then we come to driving model.. when i started the game, using car up to 200hp i really loved the game feel of driving.. but everything above 200, 300hp.. come ooooooooon! it's just another Need for speed style racing. it doesn't matter how much hp or torque you have, just buy the best tyres and you are the fastest. wtf? ferrari 430 scuderia, with 600hp, doesn't spin the wheel just beacuse i have pro racing tryres on? yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah.

overall, this is one of the bigest dissapointments i have every played.. really bad graphics, bad driving model (on the box it says ultimate driving simulator)- but the game is pure arcade. so please, tell me, who are you kiding? is ps3 generation really so lame and stupid when coming to gaming? really, i can't think of a racing game that was so lame, so unfinished, so unbalanced as this one..

oh, and can someone please answer me this- why the hell isn't possible to shift in R with seq shiffter on g25? and no N? only with clutch? i could go on and on with my "shit" list. my "good" list? in certain moments FF. and that's all. sim racing (and racing in general), only on pc from now on..

@skyline

I agree with many of your criticism's. A lot of people who play GT5 are console gamers and have almost no experience outside of consoles or in some cases outside of the Playstation and the GT series, I have come across people who genuinely believe console games/sims are superior to PC. This is why so many think GT5 is absolutely incredible, they have never experienced better.

I can't agree with you entirely, "really bad graphics" is going too far, "pure arcade" is also going too far. It is too arcade IMO for something that claims to be the real driving simulator but I think it is still fair to call it a sim and as far as console titles go it is the best IMO.

FWIW I find a lot of the game is too easy, a few challenges are a little silly and very hard but I have not found a challenge that I have not been able to Gold. The intermediate Top Gear challenge for example took me a long time to realise what was wrong with the way I was driving but now I can easily silver it and Gold it when I am in the right head space in a reasonable amount of time and I am by no means a great driver, I am almost 2 seconds off the pace on the TC time trial in seasonal events 3 and last I checked I was around 337th, mind you that was with an almost stock suspension on the Celica because I cant tune to save myself and I am still a few HP down on the limit, I need to wear in the engine a bit more.

Some of the highlights of the game for me include being able to drive a large number of cars with the best physics I have experienced on a console that I would say are very good in game and I really enjoy driving online.

Some of the low points include the tyre models and the way tuned cars all start to feel the same and feel too arcade for my liking. I also don't like how inconsistent the game is.

@skyline

I agree with many of your criticism's. A lot of people who play GT5 are console gamers and have almost no experience outside of consoles or in some cases outside of the Playstation and the GT series, I have come across people who genuinely believe console games/sims are superior to PC. This is why so many think GT5 is absolutely incredible, they have never experienced better.

I can't agree with you entirely, "really bad graphics" is going too far, "pure arcade" is also going too far. It is too arcade IMO for something that claims to be the real driving simulator but I think it is still fair to call it a sim and as far as console titles go it is the best IMO.

I just started playing GT5 since Christmas. The wife bought it for me. Thank-you honey.

But, I share the gripes that most people have with game. But, the physics are awesome with this game. I have a buddy that owns a BMW M3 and in November (before all of our snow) we took it out onto a twisty back rode and put it through its paces. So, obviously I bought the 2007 BMW M3 in the game and took it out onto the Green Hell. And, I have to say it is spot on with all assists off. I couldn't believe just how realistic it felt. This gives great creditability to the other cars in the game for me.

Plus, if you want a challenge, try the AMG academy under special features. I consider myself a pretty good sim racer and after spending about 4 hours in the academy I can achieve gold in segment 1, but am about a second to .7 off on all other 3 segments. I think I'm shifting too late and catching the limiter.

This game has as good tire feel for the road as FM3 and they added great suspension modeling like some of best mods in r-factor. I haven't been this impressed with car physics since playing the PCC mod in r-factor. Overall, very happy with game.

Definitely, worth the buy!

people i have to say most of your comments have been pretty objective and spot on but never the less there are some things we need to take in mind.

1-this game is constantly goin to be under development even after is release so many things that you dont like now may be solved later with patches, downloadable content, updates etc.

2-is stupid to compare a console game with a pc game i mean on the pc you can modify the pc to get the best out of anything with the ps3 you cant. take that in mind be fair the ps3 is a really small computer that develop this kind of graphics and driving engine i think they did an awsome job good work kazunori.

3-i now all of you have noticed the improvements the last couple of months in driving fell sound and damage (for those of you who tried the 787b mazda the first 3 weeks now sounds totally different).and is not only that car other cars too.

4-almost every racing game out now and coming out in the future has to be based on online playing i dont care about the ai thats just to get all your cars and money to upgrade and tune them to compete against other online gamers .i love the online gaming in this game and damage wise just set the damage to high and see what happens when you hit something or some other car pretty hard see if you dont have to go in the pits to fix the car for me the damage its pretty good now after updating the game 1.05 (like i said constant development).

for those who like pc gaming stick to your pc bro but dont compare a console game to a pc game for me thats just dumb iracing,rfactor,lfs and many other games in pc are on a league of its own compare all of those with their genre but not with gt5 definitely the best driving simulator in a console till this day.

of course your gonna be dissapointed if you compare it to a pc game cmon.

still there are somethings that gt5 has to improve but there are also still a lot of updates and patches to be done i trust that. kazunori is a perfectionist remember that.

As Skyline noted tires has the biggest impact on the car more than anything else in GT5. You put on racing soft on anything but the fastest race cars (like the FGT) you will have an easy victory. Even put soft racing tires on Nascar will greatly increase your grip compared to it's stock tires (Hard racing).

So in FM3 if you don't want a challenge in SP just upgrade you car to the max and use the unlimited rewind feature. If you don't want a challenge in GT5 just put on soft racing tires.

this game does not know what g25 is? or g27? first BIG fail.

Completely agree. When a game is in development for this long, it's hard to believe these wheels aren't fully supported. I've put the game away until I can properly use my brakes. Has the 'touchy brakes' problem been addressed yet? A four wheel lock-up in turn #1 during an online race can be very embarrassing. :oops:

Completely agree. When a game is in development for this long, it's hard to believe these wheels aren't fully supported. I've put the game away until I can properly use my brakes. Has the 'touchy brakes' problem been addressed yet? A four wheel lock-up in turn #1 during an online race can be very embarrassing. :oops:

Try making sure that you have pushed your full range of brake prior to entering a race, or as you enter.. It "calibrates" the throw and makes it less touchy.

Darin

Hello people from inside racing i am Paul from holland and i watch your internet show everytime .

i even check out the side everyday to see what's new .

Oke about GT5 i find it , (and that is with all the GT series ) that it lacks of a real sim ? it feels more

like an arcade style game , i don't think the cars feel real when i drive , so i rather play F1 2010 or

Dirt2 or WRC , because that gives me more pleasure to play .

I must say that GT5 is not a bad game but not the best for me .

Keep up the good job you all are doing at inside simracing ;)

psn : kwangchulyon