Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HE Ultimate pedal review

16 posts in this topic

If I read his site correctly, the "ultimate pedals" is designed for max brake pedal force up to ~300lb, which means the brake pedal designed for F1 cars exclusively, not other type cars.

As you tried to review it by using non-F1 config rig, then what is your point? You may build your own strong rig and lower down your body to achieve 300lb brake force (but very hard to do so).

I can do about 120lb brake force at max on my GT rig.

In game, if you cap max brake at 100lb say on this pedal, then it is pointless to review this pedal.

A properly review is that trying to set up an F1 config rig and set max brake in game as high as possible, say near 250 - 300lb, then try yourself as hard as possible to get near 250 or 300lb foot pedal force to test.

go Canada GP Montreal circuit, hard braking at the sharpest turn, (6g ~ about 300lb force) (from 180 mph down to 25 mph in <2 sec)......

Try rF1 or rF2.

LOL no need to be a jerk about it, he doesn't have to do anything.  Thanks for the review

Sure, it is his money, ofc, do whatever he likes.  Jerk? I gave my suggestion. If worth nothing to you, it is fine with me. Maybe my wording sounds offend?

The  brake pedal sells for extra $$$ claimed the brake force curve up to 300lb. I do not know how he got those curves (calculated from manufacture spec on the load cell or actually he measured himself?). All I suggested the owner of this pedal to test with a solid F1 rig for high portion of the brake curve, for which he paid extra $.

I had a guy paid extra $$$ for BMW M3 with top speed 150 mph, but driving at 60 mph to give a review. This is true "LOL".  No need high IQ to understand this analogy.

Great review from an Ultimate owner. Joe I see your point as somebody that don´t have experience with these brake pressures when you try it you will turn around I am sure :)

Some Prototypes and F1 old models have used that much brake force at least. I don´t know how it´s with modern F1 or modern prototypes. But really it´s another example where real world differ from simulation. In the real world the drivers are heavilly aided by G-forces to sustain pressure during braking pulling high G-s beside being well trained athelites. Sustaining 135 kg of brake force without any aids of G-forces? And repeat it like what 10x at 2 minute track you must have some amazing stamina to pull that off for even a lap. To me just to get to 135 kg require an all in effort and there is no chance to control the steering wheel going for that. I highly doubt ANY simracer really run the Ultimates to their limit. I am for sure no athelite but my brake leg has gotten so much stronger with the workout of these pedals ;)

Also the cockpit required I have a Nixim Racecraft GT steal cockpit. Weight in at some 90 kg at least I believe. I can hardly manage to adjust it myself as it´s so heavy. My pedal plate steel is a bit thin I have reinforced it with mdf but everything including my spine do flex a bit when trying to pull these stunts off. You need a very very serious rig as it also help maintaining pressure with less flex. I see it more as it´s overengineered and that massively overpowered loadcell will probably give you great precision dueout your entire lifetime. Had mine a year and it has still the silly precision as new. put a finger nail on it with no pressure it registers and there is no clubsport loadcell resistor jitter. Btw do the Pros run the same loadcell I thought they run some lower rated to keep the cost down. I mean  the one on the Ultimate is rated for what was it 300 kg? Must home and check. 

But it´s still nice to have the capabilities. I have run some cars like the AC Cobra where you can´t go above 60 % brake power without locking like crazy. AC lack the chance to adjust brake pressure due to it being unrealistic???

Short calibrating the HE Ultimates to accomodate that I can still run a brake I can feel all the way also with shoes and where I get the feel I can get hard on the brakes on. When you feel the tires locking you can faster release pressure to unlock them it really helps a lot with that car.

You here very little about this pedals. I think it´s due to nobody really having any issues with them :)

"Some Prototypes and F1 old models have used that much brake force at least. I don´t know how it´s with modern F1 or modern prototypes."

I believe that all moden F1 cars up today are manual brakes, of which required over 300lb max foot brake force.

"But really it´s another example where real world differ from simulation. In the real world the drivers are heavilly aided by G-forces to sustain pressure during braking pulling high G-s beside being well trained athelites. Sustaining 135 kg of brake force without any aids of G-forces?"

If I understand you correctly you implied that Newton 2nd law (g-force) will help the driver for braking. We all know from 101 physics this is not the case. The fact that driver will achieve such high brake force is from the layout of seat in F1 car configuration, that is due to Newton's 3rd law (not 2nd law):

http://www.core77.com/posts/22411/How-F1-Drivers-Sit-Someone-Please-Design-These-Guys-a-Proper-Seat

"Also the cockpit required I have a Nixim Racecraft GT steal cockpit. Weight in at some 90 kg at least I believe. I can hardly manage to adjust it myself as it´s so heavy. My pedal plate steel is a bit thin I have reinforced it with mdf but everything including my spine do flex a...."

Then get the HE pro pedal instead. GT car pedal brake force curve is Different from that of F1 Car. YOu just cannot change settings in-game to alter the brake saturation portion of curve.  If one tried to simulate both GT and F1 car with a same loadcell sensor, then this is basically design fraud. A GT car saturates near 150 lb while F1 car saturates near 300lb, said.

"Joe I see your point as somebody that don´t have experience with these brake pressures when you try it you will turn around I am sure.."

I agreed with you. This all are subjective. Never had experience on a real F1 myself. Again, I see no value of such argument/statement if one has not tried this pedal on a F1 seat config.

1. If I brake just in a standard car with low Gs heck even if I ride a bicycle I am pushed forward and it helps me keep pressure? Why on earth would physics be different in a F1 car :P 

2. Why would I get the Pro pedals they are not as good and don´t have the dampers I am not complaining that they are over engineered :)  I am just giving information that if you really want to use super high brake pressure you better think about the rigidity of your rig. Even with very serious simracing rigs can be a weak point with these pedals.

You can very very easy adjust pressure while keeping it linear with high quality loadcells like this? It can´t be easier I don´t understand what you mean that it would be a fraud or something? Can you clarify a bit. You can calibrate them in diview or a lot of sims also allow you to set deadzones.

3. Sure but it can be really hard to find people that can do that? Sure I have some flex just some mm here and there but it can be felt at this brake pressure surely. For me it´s totally impossible to race with 135 kg in brake pressure. I would never get close to 100 % brake pressure while actually trying to control a car so I can´t help you more than the pedals themselves do seem build to survive such treatment.

Would I attempt it on a set of clubsport pedals everything would bend and brake and it would not be a pretty sight :D

The heusinkveld ultimates as you all know are intended for pro race teams/drivers. I have not seen another set or base plate with the level of adjustability/configurability. That said, I have to say it doesn't quite reach the breaking forces of a true F1 cars, this is undeniable,

I know of one set which does hit the true brake force, made to order by a guy I know who raced gt/gp2/AutoGP. It is adjustable but I would say less configurable than the ultimates. Its very purpose oriented.

It's not cheap nor would it be consumer level expensive....it's $$$$ but it's really the only solution for someone who wants to use the pedals strictly for training for real world racing (or utmost immersion for people with more money than sense :P ). I believe the price would reflect this.

If anyone's interested you can go ahead and message me for his info, I don't feel i should it in a public forum.

Do F1 these days really have brake forces over 135 kg like the Ultimates support? Do you have any link to support that claim?

The big majority of simracers have no chance at all achieving these brake pressures so yes in that sense it´s just for professionals :)

Do F1 these days really have brake forces over 135 kg like the Ultimates support? Do you have any link to support that claim?

The big majority of simracers have no chance at all achieving these brake pressures so yes in that sense it´s just for professionals :)

Hi buddy, I won't edit my post above but I will add to it here instead. Firstly hope I won't offend anyone with my comments about about the he ultimates, I'm a customer and he makes fantastic bits of kit, top flight. I have a lot of respect for them and they have a fantastic reputation for hardware but also for their models.

I didn't mean to infer something was wrong with the he ultimates. Fantastic pedals!

To answer your question I won't go to the extent to provide anything imperial although joe extra know could likely provide it as his name sounds familiar. Maybe youtube video I saw not long ago ? I believe the forces can exceed 135kg based on feedback from two top flight single seat drivers.

Should have probably stated that the issue isn't so much the force, but the sensation and feel. A true pedal which can be adjustable for different forces needs not only the ability to adjust like the he pedals but really a totally different cylinder for each application one is attempting to simulate as they have a completely different feel/saturation (gt3 vs f1 vs lmp2)

Therefore simple adjustment while close is not exactly true multi purpose. To properly simulate the feel across a wide array of vehicles you really do need multiple cylinders, not single springs/attachments.

Again, for how close the he ultimates would come, is likely more than is needed for 99% of people as we wouldn't have the opportunity to have compared to the real life version of the different race craft. Maybe some of us do, and it's close enough..so...great! For the professionals that I am sure lurk here that don't want to beg sponsors to cough 180k for some if the bespoke solutions available to them...just thought I would point out the other option above and offer the contact info.

Cheers to all, he pedals are incredible, was not being critical or negative..just adding to the conversation ! :)

..the options alone on his pedals are about $7000USD if you wanted a reasonable spectrum of brake feelings for adjustability. Like I said, mostly professionals would be interested at that price point. He can also spec it them to work with a specific car you have and your models being used (likely based on rfactor if you are going with custom for your specific race craft)

I am not offended I just wonder where you found the info 140 kg is not enough to simulate the brake pressure of a F1?

Why the secrecy sounds like they deserve it´s own thread :) 

I based this on feedback from two top flight single seat drivers and my trainer who works with an f1 team who was around during the development. Feel free to pm me if you want the developers info. Cheers