Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you like to see on our show

382 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a subject on my mind: controller lag/latency.

On a few games (NFS Shift, Forza 3 which I recall at the moment) I saw even on your show a pretty big time between a fast turning of the wheel (real wheel) and the move made by the virtual cockpit wheel. I noticed this myself when playing Shift (after playing iRacing). In iRacing I see a very small delay in turning, but in Shift I can turn the wheel 270 degrees (my setting for full turn) BEFORE I see the virtual wheel turning 10%. Next weekend I intend to borrow a 720p camera (hopefully 60fps recoding) and do an objective comparison for this. My list of games will be: GTR2, GTR Evo, RBR and some of the last NFS titles (PC & PS3).

The first time I had this issue was with RBR on a nforce4 motherboard. It seems my Thrustmasters wheel had big lag with nForce4 USB, lag which was noticeably smaller with my previous (and next) Intel chipset MB.

I've seen last month (or 2) an article on the net about how to measure controller lag, but I can't seem to find it now. In that article the author even got talking about using high-speed cameras to measure, but they were focused on latency with gamepads where you cannot see clearly how much the player moves the control (and where the button actually activates). I think with 60fps (consumer grade 720p HD camera) we can measure a wheel lag pretty good with big and fast wheel motions. I mean we can differentiate objectively a 100ms lag with a 200+ms lag.

In conclusion, I would like to see some comparison of wheel lag or at least a warning for badly-lagging games during their review.

Hi Darin, love the show, been watching for several months now and have really enjoyed each episode.

I would like to see a segment comparing gaming computers, I recently started in iracing and my old computer struggles with the graphics and frame rate. Before I invest in new hardware I would like some advice about what to get. What graphics and sound cards are the best bang for the buck, what processor etc?

Is there an affordable prebuilt computer that would run the most popular racing sims well?

Keep up the good work and hope to see you on track in iracing once I progress a bit.

+1

Hi everyone,

I have a subject on my mind: controller lag/latency.

Mathew,

this is an interesting topic that definitely deserves some attention. But I believe that in some games, the controller lag only affects the steering wheel animation, while the front wheels react instantaneously. Therefore, I think it would be better to use an external camera angle showing the front wheels and measuring how they respond to your controller input, rather than looking at the steering wheel animation. :)

But for sure, this is definitely a good topic for discussion!

How about some sort of weekly mini comp for the forum members? Pic a track a car and a sim and post the fastest laps by way of screen shot? Winner gets nothing but forum kudos! :lol:

Sorry if this has been said before but didnt find it when i looked.

bbeef

But I believe that in some games, the controller lag only affects the steering wheel animation, while the front wheels react instantaneously. Therefore, I think it would be better to use an external camera angle showing the front wheels and measuring how they respond to your controller input, rather than looking at the steering wheel animation. :)

Yeah! I though about the animation-only problem, but I never thought about trying a "front wheel cam". I guess I missed the idea because I was too much focused on remaining on the road and because many "non-sim" games don't offer such a view while driving. So thanks for the idea.

Hello guys

I wanted to ask u guys iff it is possible to do a segment in a show about surround sound systems for gaming consoles

and pc's for those who are compatible with both

Thank u very much and i hope to see this in a show

Keep up the good works

Greets Dave

First, I just started watching your show in the past week or two and I'm really enjoying it. I would especially like to note how clearly Shawn's "tech tips" are presented. Also, I'd like to note that because of your show I'm anxiously awaiting a used wheel I ordered from Amazon so I can give iRacing and other PC racers a try.

Anyway, as someone who has played Forza 1, 2 and now 3 I'd like to see the following:

1. If it makes sense perhaps a comparison between Forza and a top PC sim like iRacing ....

2. Weigh in on the hoo-ha about the change in how Forza 3 does multiplayer vs. Forza 2.

Also:

3. Keep the driving and tech tips coming!

Once again, thank you for all your hard work on the show.

Guys!

Great job on the reviews, and tips...

How about you guys setup and run a few network races??

This does not have to be a big production, but simply pick a date and time.

Choose your sim and cars (Rfactor prefered), BMW 1 Challenge 2006 and a fixed setup. (example)

Set your server to like 10 connections.

Keep it simple

Race against Team Inside Sim Racing! 8-)

You guys talk the talk! Now walk the walk! :o)

MadDogRhody

Team Rhody Racing

Awesome suggestions guys !!

Some that we're going to be working on..

We have the Wii and PSP versions of F1 by Codemasters and will be doing pieces on those..

Network races.. We may be able to setup something soon at simraceway.com just like that.> And we'll walk the walk !! :-) Can you keep up ?? hehe

Forza versus a PC sim... It already has actually. We're going to be posting our list of titles that have been scored on our new weighted ratings scale. Right now FM3 tops the list. It hasn't gone against a lot of PC sims though yet.. We're doing iRacing soon and then Sim Bin Race series of games. We also may put rFactor, live for Speed and Netkar Pro on that list.

NVidia 3D Glasses.. If there the ones I've tried at trade shows.. They're awesome ! I haven't tried with a racing game though. We'll look into it ;-)

Thanks for the great suggestions !! Keep em coming !!

I have been waiting a long time for you guys to review the Microsoft Wheel and since it only supports the Xbox360 it seems like you guys have put it off for a while. I have been trying to decide on getting the Microsoft wheel so that i could play Forza 3, but you guys didn't put in the wheel battle off so i was wondering will you ever do a review on it or should i stick with a logitech and grand torismo 5?

they are going to reveiw it soon by itself, it worked but kind of lame, ok force feed back, but you can't feel the tires breaking loose like you do on the logitec, but the logitec has very little force feed back, i read were the new logitec gt wheel for the playstation is better then the logitec pro i have and the pro feels pretty darn good so the new gt should be great for the price, i have the pro for the ps3 and the want to be logitec for the xbox, its not really force feed back at all, but you can feel the tires break loose, its kind of neat.

Being a complete newby in online sim racing, how about a segment on SimRacing 101. Getting Started.

There are so many sim racing sites out there, so many games, so many different pricing, I really don't know where to start. Give an old guy a break and walk him him thru the maze. :?

We actually already did it ;-) It's a little dated.. I would start with a minimum dual core system.

Being a complete newby in online sim racing, how about a segment on SimRacing 101. Getting Started.

There are so many sim racing sites out there, so many games, so many different pricing, I really don't know where to start. Give an old guy a break and walk him him thru the maze. :?

Hello...

I'm new to this forum but I've watched several of you reviews. I signed up today for mainly one perpose. I'd like to see you guy's review one of the first sims that released for the PS3... F1 Championship edition. I think it's one of the greatest console sims out there ( under the GT series of course). I think you'd be blown away at the sense of speed, the dynamic weather, the car modling and destruction ie. crashes, and the noise those F1 cars make in surround sound. I personally think this is a great game that you'd be very surpised from and wonder why the featurs in this game aren't in the higher profile games (GT and Forza). Please take a look at it, i'd like to see what you think about it.

Guest Username

Hi Guys and Girl ;)

As I was looking to the forthcoming episodes I've seen you are planning this;

DECEMBER TBD

iRacing Review

Shifter shootout - TSW vs SST

As I am planning to buy me a shifter, I am very pleased to see you are going to review those 2 shifters.

But isn't it a good idea to add the Frex Hshift+ to this review?

shhs+01w200.JPG

It's on the market a long time, maybe a bit more expensive than the other 2, but it looks great and I am looking at this shifter as a good alternative for the TSW (H-style, not W-style please ;)) or SST.

We're talking with Frex now and hoping to have a shifter here soon to test.

Thanks for stopping by !

Hi Guys and Girl ;)

As I was looking to the forthcoming episodes I've seen you are planning this;

As I am planning to buy me a shifter, I am very pleased to see you are going to review those 2 shifters.

But isn't it a good idea to add the Frex Hshift+ to this review?

shhs+01w200.JPG

It's on the market a long time, maybe a bit more expensive than the other 2, but it looks great and I am looking at this shifter as a good alternative for the TSW (H-style, not W-style please ;)) or SST.

I'd like to see something on the Showdown at Silverstone. You guys did a great job announcing and that whole format has a future. Not sure if you can do a bit on the making of it, or just some commentary on the footage etc, but it was great drama and excellent entertainment this weekend. :)

Guest Username
We're talking with Frex now and hoping to have a shifter here soon to test.

Thanks for stopping by !

Great, this means you guys 'll do a shootout of 3 shifters?!

That would be awesome!

:mrgreen: