Accuforce owners thread - Setups and tuning talk
10 10

108 posts in this topic

Hey Bailey.

Glad to see you got your Accuforce.

How are you finding it so far?

To answer your questions

Wheel force:

No, default is just the name of one of the modes, it doesn't relate back to the Output Devices(Device manager) tab.

The game will use whatever mode is set in it's profile.

think of each mode as a maximum limit of torque.

I am not sure of the numbers but for arguments sake lets say it is something like this

Recruit: 5Nm

Default: 10Nm

High: 13Nm

High (Peaks allowed): 13Nm with no smoothing

The mode that you set on the output devices (device manager) tab is only used when you are NOT running Sim Commander. So for example if I play a game that isn't supported by Sim Commander, like Next Car Game (Wreakfest) or Spintires then it will use the settings that are in the output devices tab.

If you are using Sim Commander then it will ignore whatever is in the output devices tab and just use whatever mode you have set up in that profile.

Basically you can just ignore the setting in the output devices (device manager) unless you are going to play some old or weird game that isn't supported, in that case think of the Accuforce acting like a normal FFB wheel and that tab is like the Logitech or thrustmaster profiler. Then the Accuforce will function like another FFB wheel using those settings. Sort of like a failback or native mode for older or unsupported games.

BACKUPS:

Yes, there is an easy way to back up everything. Just take a copy of the "Sim Commander 4" folder in your "My Documents"

iRacing FFB: 

The iRacing FFB settings will only be grayed out if you are using game FFB with the iRacing integration box ticked.

In your case you are only using the SFF. If you use only SFF then Sim Commander will completely ignore all FFB coming from the game and use it's own FFB based on telemetry. Because you are not using the in game FFB then it doesn't matter what you set the in game FFB to because it is just being ignored anyway. And because the game FFB is being ignored then there is no need to gray out the in game FFB sliders.

Hierarchy:

Yes, it does matter the order. Think of it as priorities, so what ever is at the top will have priority over anything below it.

Like a foreground/background type thing. So if you want the SFF in as the dominant force in the foreground then you have that at the top, but if you wanted all the road bumps and suspension effects to take center stage then you can move them up to the top. It still do all the effects, just changes which ones are move dominant in the final mix. Think of them as layers of FFB and that is just the order that they are layered in. Think of it like an audio mix with a lead vocalist and backup singers  :-P

The overall intensity is like the master volume slider and it will affect the intensity of all the effects.

I usually leave my overall intensity high then change the intensity of each effect . 

Wowwee, I've been schooled! hehe Thanks buddy.

I'm going to copy all this good info as it takes a while before info. sticks in this memory. :)

Regarding the Hierarchy, that makes sense. I was changing the SFF on one of my games and the changes seemed minor. I moved that slider to the top and every change I made to it began to feel, well, changed.

Regarding Backups, I have dug around in those files before and wasn't sure if my profiles were the files that basically looked like a Registry key - no actual name (i.e. 1705A2d9-8815-469F-a1ca-2efese23438.ssf) 

Is that right? I go back it up pronto. :)

How am I liking it? I am still adapting. Sadly it has had a sizable impact on my laptimes in every title I've tried (iR, AC, R3E) a whooping +2-3 seconds, ugh!! Obviously when the wheel is heavy it slows down my ability to turn quickly but when I reduce this to 

a degree that speeds up my inputs, I loose any feelings that would make this feel better than my T500. I've got a ways to go to get things ironed out but I have not lost heart. I did download some profiles from the Owners Club and have found some nice ones to work with.

At this point I would say my first impression is... it definitely makes driving feel more realistic (particularly in iRacing) but it has not translated into a benefit where my laptimes are concerned. I see my own ghost drive by me and wonder what the heck. lol

I've only had a couple of days with it thus far. Hubby was seriously ill and hospitalized for a couple of weeks and I was a nervous wreck... not able to "play" as the situation was so stressful. Fortunately, daddies home and recovering!!! :) So mommy can give it some concerted effort now.

B

Has anyone experienced any of the issues reported over at iRacing with the Accuforce disconnecting among other things?

On this subject, I have been working with Berney at SimX to try and resolve the disconnecting problem.  Berney believes the problem is isolated to a few users but personally I think it will be affecting everyone depending upon their setup.  Anyway, I received a prototype slip ring yesterday and gave it a real hammering last night (Over 150 laps mainly in the skippy), so far how ever aggressive I am with my wheels I can't get it to disconnect anymore so looking positive.  It's early days in the testing, we need to do a lot more testing and several others have or are getting the prototype slip ring to test as well.  Remember the issue is mainly affecting third party wheels or where something is connected to the USB connection on the AccuForce button box, most people using just the AF wheel do not suffer issues and if they do it's infrequent.  My SimX name is Simon Maltby by the way.

Bailey - Congrats, Mommy has an AccuForce, Awsome :)

EDIT: Thought you might like to see a few pics of my "Work in progress" dash for the AccuForce... All working now, just need to tidy up, make a surround and some button labels.

AFDash_pre1m.jpg

post-17300-0-29384400-1432113780_thumb.j

post-17300-0-11214800-1432113792_thumb.j

post-17300-0-41516800-1432113805_thumb.j

post-17300-0-22535700-1432113814_thumb.j

Is it just me or does the wheel feel quite notchy when compared to the CSW V2? It almost feels and sounds like there metal rubbing together on the shaft or something. Is there anyway to get it to feel super smooth like the CSW V2 or is this just the way it is with stepper motors?

Think I need some tuning help as well as I'm not really feeling that much difference between this and the fanatec except for slightly more power and a bit more responsiveness but no where near as smooth. Hasn't really been a mind blowing experience that some people seem to be having -.-

Not quite sure how to explain it but doesn't feel too great to me. Also having the disconnection problems within the first hour =/ 

Interesting feedback Aqib. Does sound like you need some tuning. The max force of the AF should be twice as large as the CSW V2 and the sustained forces also higher, not slightly so.  Perhaps Avenga can help or you can find a good tuned setup on the simcommander sharing area.

Have you autotuned your profile? It can feel a bit notchy if you are clipping badly but normally I don't notice any.

Are you running the new beta responsive mode?

The old default settings are quite bad, you really need to tune them to get the most out of them. Berney and a lot of AF owners are doing testing on the FFB, working on a new default and Berney has written some new wheel modes have made it heaps better.

Have a read of this thread if you haven't already http://simxperience.com/Community/OwnersClubForum/tabid/742/g/posts/t/1110/AccuForce-Tuning-Feedback-Test---Phase-2

Try the new default settings, responsive mode and auto tuning it then head the tuning for dummies manual and let me know how you get on.

What games are you running it in?

Aqib,similar impression here. I am patiently tweaking profiles after auto-tuning and am also trying the new betas from SimX forum.

I can't handle lots of extra weight in the wheel, it just murders my laptimes. I come to a slow hairpin and it takes so much effort to turn the wheel it slows me down. I have adjusted overall intensity and it can be reduced but I'm looking for more feel. I need to know what the tires are doing. Don't care about 1:1 nM/wheel weight and all that jazz, just want useable/helpful feedback. If the only way to come by that is with a heavy wheel then I'm in trouble.

I added some smoothing and that has reduced the rat-atat-tat sound it makes when going over curbs and bumps, didn't much care for that sound as it reminded me of my G27 lol.

I also feel the detents or steps when rotating the motor shafts but never while driving so that's not an issue for me.

Gonna reserve judgement until I'm certain I've done all I can and SimX has been given an opportunity to add features or make changes to the software. So much tweaking and still not sure I'm going to get the feedback I would really like. Multiply that by each racing title and each games in game FEB settings and SC's many choices and it's been quite a learning curve.

Had some button/paddle disconnects too but none recently, not sure how or why it would resolve itself so I'm I little skeptical but certainly pleased.

In all honesty I was not (and still not) after the "best" wheel on the planet.

I wanted a high quality wheel that would last a long time. I'll be very happy with the AF if I can get the feedback I'm after. ☺

Bailey

Interesting feedback Aqib. Does sound like you need some tuning. The max force of the AF should be twice as large as the CSW V2 and the sustained forces also higher, not slightly so.  Perhaps Avenga can help or you can find a good tuned setup on the simcommander sharing area.

Yes that is exactly what I was expecting Seb. Unfortunately I do not have access to the Accuforce simxperience forum area. A very interesting decision to make that part of the website restricted. I have contacted Simxperience about this. 

Have you autotuned your profile? It can feel a bit notchy if you are clipping badly but normally I don't notice any.

Are you running the new beta responsive mode?

The old default settings are quite bad, you really need to tune them to get the most out of them. Berney and a lot of AF owners are doing testing on the FFB, working on a new default and Berney has written some new wheel modes have made it heaps better.

Have a read of this thread if you haven't already http://simxperience.com/Community/OwnersClubForum/tabid/742/g/posts/t/1110/AccuForce-Tuning-Feedback-Test---Phase-2

Try the new default settings, responsive mode and auto tuning it then head the tuning for dummies manual and let me know how you get on.

What games are you running it in?

Thanks Avenga, It is good to know that the notchiness can be dialled out. I started off with the default profile and ran a couple of laps but it didnt quite feel right so I switched it to foundation feedback and turned off the game feedback. I added front road bumps and dialled down the normal road bumps as shown in the Accuforce set up videos on the Accuforce product page. I had the foundation feedback set to 200% and i ran a race in the BMW Z4 at Daytona road circuit in iracing. 

i could feel a lot of notchiness when turning and especially when flicking the wheel you are counter steering so I went back to the default profile (which uses game feedback and not foundation) and did an autotune after running the Z4 at Zandvoort for a few laps but this was very unimpressive before and after the tuning. 

I see someone has posted the following steps on the iracing forum when using the default game feedback with iracing to get the raw feeling so i will be trying this:

1. Open SimCommander, 
2. Go to the Settings tab.
3. From the Sim Device Manager click on the AccuForce Steering System (yes it has a checkbox, but its still clickable).
4. Set all settings to 0%, except intensity, rotation (obviously), and the stop dampeners.
5. Click "Save Settings To Controller" and close SC.

It seems all the best tips and tricks are in the restricted access section of the forums so I will have lots of reading to do when / if I am able to get access to those. I will check out threads you mentioned and try out the settings.once im in.

Is the tuning for dummies manual also inside the Accuforce forums on the simxperience website?

So far I have only tried it on iracing but I will hopefully be using it on Assetto Corsa and Project cars. 

Aqib,similar impression here. I am patiently tweaking profiles after auto-tuning and am also trying the new betas from SimX forum.

I can't handle lots of extra weight in the wheel, it just murders my laptimes. I come to a slow hairpin and it takes so much effort to turn the wheel it slows me down. I have adjusted overall intensity and it can be reduced but I'm looking for more feel. I need to know what the tires are doing. Don't care about 1:1 nM/wheel weight and all that jazz, just want useable/helpful feedback. If the only way to come by that is with a heavy wheel then I'm in trouble.

I added some smoothing and that has reduced the rat-atat-tat sound it makes when going over curbs and bumps, didn't much care for that sound as it reminded me of my G27 lol.

I also feel the detents or steps when rotating the motor shafts but never while driving so that's not an issue for me.

Gonna reserve judgement until I'm certain I've done all I can and SimX has been given an opportunity to add features or make changes to the software. So much tweaking and still not sure I'm going to get the feedback I would really like. Multiply that by each racing title and each games in game FEB settings and SC's many choices and it's been quite a learning curve.

Had some button/paddle disconnects too but none recently, not sure how or why it would resolve itself so I'm I little skeptical but certainly pleased.

In all honesty I was not (and still not) after the "best" wheel on the planet.

I wanted a high quality wheel that would last a long time. I'll be very happy with the AF if I can get the feedback I'm after. ☺

Bailey

Yeah I am also just looking for that useable and helpful feedback about what the car was doing. I was getting slightly more in the Z4 at Daytona Road but it didn't seem to be that great of a difference. 

I was thinking something similar in that is almost felt like a gear driven wheel to me when I was turning in and especially when I was flicking the wheel when counter steering. Yeah the steps are very noticeable when not driving but for me they are also there when driving but not as noticeable. 

I'm also reserving judgement till I have tried all the settings available and made sure that it isn't a set up issue and I have a chance to play around with all the settings on offer. I am having trouble believing it could be so underwhelming given all the feedback from all of the users on various forums. 

Yeah the button disconnection was pretty disappointing but hopefully it will be fixed soon. For now I am using the cable and it seems to be Ok though the quick release does make funny noises every now and then. Have to say though the button box and paddle shifters and the leather wheel feel pretty tacky to me especially when compared to the Fanatec universal hub and rims. I was hoping the pictures didn't do it justice but if anything it makes them look better in the pictures. I have a Sam Maxwell wheel on order so not really a deal breaker though. 

For me the main selling point was the foundation feedback which could override the games own feedback especially for Project cars and Dirt Rally. Now its just a matter of trying to tune the feedback to what I like and hopefully finding the sweet spot and if I can manage that I will also be very happy with it =P. 

I see someone has posted the following steps on the iracing forum when using the default game feedback with iracing to get the raw feeling so i will be trying this:

1. Open SimCommander, 

2. Go to the Settings tab.

3. From the Sim Device Manager click on the AccuForce Steering System (yes it has a checkbox, but its still clickable).

4. Set all settings to 0%, except intensity, rotation (obviously), and the stop dampeners.

5. Click "Save Settings To Controller" and close SC.

Hmmmpf, so much misinformation with the Accuforce. What they suggested wouldn't actually do anything at all. That whole Sim Device Manager section is only used when SimCommander is NOT running. Like for when you are running an old game that isn't supported by SimCommander.

You set all that stuff in the game profile. Anything that you set in the Sim Device Manager will be overridden by your game profile. The Sim Device Manager is just for legacy game support.

If you want to turn all that stuff off then do it in the game profile, not the Sim Device Manager, the new defaults have all these lowered anyway.

The same question came up on the SimXperience forum today so I will post my reply here.

BTW, the friction, dampener and inertia settings that you change in Sim Device Manager section don't have any effect when launch the game from SimCommander, you set them in the profile instead, that section is just used for with SimCommander isn't running.

For example this is the settings it will use if you start the game without SimCommander running.

accustuff.jpg

What is set in the game profile overrides whatever you set on the other page when you launch the game using that profile

For example it will use these settings instead of what is on the device manager page.

rf2%201_zpsdcm4upln.jpg

rf2%202_zpsxeawga2z.jpg

It seems all the best tips and tricks are in the restricted access section of the forums so I will have lots of reading to do when / if I am able to get access to those. I will check out threads you mentioned and try out the settings.once im in.

You should have access to the forums, it will just be a permissions problem on the forum. Email SimXperience and they will be able to give you access to it.

I am pretty sure anyone with any SimXperience product, even SimVibe has access to the Accuforce section because I have answered a lot of questions for prospective buyers on the SimXperience forum.

Is the tuning for dummies manual also inside the Accuforce forums on the simxperience website?

Yes, It is in the link that I posted in my last post. It is still a work in progress which is why it is only on the forum.

Yeah I am also just looking for that useable and helpful feedback about what the car was doing. I was getting slightly more in the Z4 at Daytona Road but it didn't seem to be that great of a difference.

When you get on the forums, try the new responsive mode and follow the testing procedure, it does make a massive difference in iRacing. The old default profile clipped really bad so it loses all the detail. The new one is tons better, you still need to auto tun it and switch it to responsive mode.

BTW, here is the video where Berney explains that the Sim Device Manager settings are ONLY used when SimCommander is NOT running

http://simxperience.com/Portals/0/Videos/AccuForceSettingsStructure/AccuForceSettingsStructure.html

From about 2:50 onwards but watch the whole thing because you don't want to run the wheel without SimCommaner running

Hmmmpf, so much misinformation with the Accuforce. What they suggested wouldn't actually do anything at all. That whole Sim Device Manager section is only used when SimCommander is NOT running. Like for when you are running an old game that isn't supported by SimCommander.

You set all that stuff in the game profile. Anything that you set in the Sim Device Manager will be overridden by your game profile. The Sim Device Manager is just for legacy game support.

If you want to turn all that stuff off then do it in the game profile, not the Sim Device Manager, the new defaults have all these lowered anyway.

The same question came up on the SimXperience forum today so I will post my reply here.

You should have access to the forums, it will just be a permissions problem on the forum. Email SimXperience and they will be able to give you access to it.

I am pretty sure anyone with any SimXperience product, even SimVibe has access to the Accuforce section because I have answered a lot of questions for prospective buyers on the SimXperience forum.

Yes, It is in the link that I posted in my last post. It is still a work in progress which is why it is only on the forum.

When you get on the forums, try the new responsive mode and follow the testing procedure, it does make a massive difference in iRacing. The old default profile clipped really bad so it loses all the detail. The new one is tons better, you still need to auto tun it and switch it to responsive mode.

Yeah the information comes from all different directions and a bit confusing on whose advice to follow. I will try as you say and turn off all that stuff in the game profile and see if that makes a difference. 

I have emailed Simxperience and waiting for them to grant me access. The only Accurforce one I have access to is the general discussion one. The rest below that all say No Access. 

Thanks for you help and once I'm in i will try the new responsive mode as it seems that makes a difference. I always use the Sim Commander software so shouldn't have a problem with that. 

Made a little video showing what I'm feeling when using the wheel - its slightly exaggerated to demonstrate the problem I'm having. You can hear the sound when I'm making turns and you can hear it best at 0:46 onwards.

I'm having a hard time believing this is normal behaviour. Cant get rid of that noise / nothcy feeling no matter what I try - auto tuning, default profiles, different modes, running without sim commander, turning off all the effects, different games etc. 

Sorry for the poor video. 

Aquib, i'm fairly sure the sound is the slip ring contacts internally. Mine makes the same kind of sound and when ever I take the slip ring off and change anything the sound is always slightly different.

I have to say I don't find the wheel notchy, although I think the sharpness of the feedback might make it appear notchy.  A bit of smoothing can help negate that.  In P. Cars I find things a bit smoother by default.

Aquib, i'm fairly sure the sound is the slip ring contacts internally. Mine makes the same kind of sound and when ever I take the slip ring off and change anything the sound is always slightly different.

I have to say I don't find the wheel notchy, although I think the sharpness of the feedback might make it appear notchy.  A bit of smoothing can help negate that.  In P. Cars I find things a bit smoother by default.

Interesting Simon, I think it might indeed be the slip ring that's causing the problem - is there anyway to easily remove it completely or even remove the quick release all together and just attach a rim?

Played around with the smoothing to silly levels but can still feel it a soon as the wheel gets slightly heavy which is why I think it might indeed be the slip ring. It happens every time I turn the wheel so i doubt it is the sharpness in the feedback that is causing it.

I think the best thing to do is to look for someone close to me and try theirs out and if they are all like this then this probably isn't the wheel for me =/ 

Edit: By the way there is no "U" in my name  :cool:

Its not the noise its the notchy feeling in the corners which is making me not enjoy the wheel... Feels great in the straights but that's ruined as soon as I turn into a corner... If that's the way it is then I guess that's that. 

Yeah i'm still getting that feeling in project cars. I checked the visual lap analyser to see if I was clipping during the corners but im usually in the 60-80% range. It does seem to be worse when the wheel is heavier though so it might indeed be that. Will carry on tweaking and see if I get anywhere...

Hey Darin, if you get a chance can you ask Berney when he'll be caught up with pre-orders.  I want to just pay for it and get it within 3 weeks rather than pre-order and wait for all that batch number nonsense.