Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shift 2 (Unleashed)

19 posts in this topic

I am looking forward to this game also but I am not sure how the helmet cam will work out for race rigs or triple monitors. Anyway, the videos look good and hopefully we will have a great new sim game.

They mention Elite Handling mode I guess that is the sim mode for the game.

Looks cool

They put themselves on the spot by saying in the release date video that Shift 2 is "The most realistic racer ever".

I'm thinking they are pulling a PR stunt by not explaining in what aspect. The immersion is definitely there, but physics wise? Not too sure.

They put themselves on the spot by saying in the release date video that Shift 2 is "The most realistic racer ever".

So apparently deliberately spinning your opponent out is realistic...

I'm serious, they give you experience points for ramming other cars. They call that "aggressive driving."

So apparently deliberately spinning your opponent out is realistic...

I'm serious, they give you experience points for ramming other cars. They call that "aggressive driving."

I've never played Shift before, but from what I heard from my friends that are sim racers to an extent, it wasn't good. I'm giving Shift 2 a chance before I label it another crappy game.

Did you see the video over at RaceSimCentral?

Looking forward to... but not hoping for anything.

I read from somewhere that they just tweak the input, driving physics is the same as the old one. So basically when they mention "new engine" it's about rendering engine.

I'm sure it's going to look even more stunning than the first one but come on, give us some thing as good to drive as it looks please.

I actually believe that they're going to make it at the very least 'more' realistic

and I think this is a trend.....Code-Masters is also catching on to this when they said F1 2011 will be even more realism

they seemed to have finally realized that there is no downside to at least putting the option in the game to turn all the driving aids off

As a Huge fan of "NFS SHIFT" [despite it's overall Twitchy Car physics] it Definitely filled the void whilst waiting [and waiting..and waiting] for "GT5" to Finally be released,I logged a hellacious amount of hours driving "NFS SHIFT" and though it is Definitely on the "Arcade" side of the fence,I Honestly had some gr8 times running R8's,Lambos,GT-Rspec V's,& other High Performance Cars on some pretty Decently done tracks such as "Spa","Road America" & "Laguna Seca",..so Since Hearing about the upcoming Release of "NFS SHIFT 2 Unleashed" I have been really interested to see what direction "SHIFT 2" will be going,

I would really LOVE to see Much Better Car Physics,a total doing away with "Aggression Points,seeing as it only promotes BAD driving,and uncouth,downright rude driving etiquette,and though I am totally aware the entire "NFS" series has never really been aimed at the "Sim" Crowd,it would be awesome to see "NFS" take a much more "Sim" Based approach with "SHIFT 2 Unleashed",especially since they just released the 100 percent "ARCADE" Title "Hot Pursuit" ..I'm not expecting or do I want any kind of~"NFS Gran Turismo" and have no problem at all with "Arcade" type racers ,I LOVE "MCLA" because it's nice to take a break every now and then,toss realism & real life physics out the window,and basically just have Fun ..it's just "NFS SHIFT" [iMHO] had some real potential as a halfway decent track racer,and though I did enjoy driving it while waiting for "GT5" It's sketchy Car Physics & Hefty "Arcade" feel,makes it REALLY hard to go back too after the much more genuine & real life feel of "GT5",...although "NFS SHIFT" just beats the living daylights out of "GT5" when it comes to "Bot AI" & "Damage Modeling"! so I guess you could say I would really love to see "NFS SHIFT 2 Unleashed" Just get a bit more "Sim" Based" instead of being such a hybrid "Sim/Arcade" mutant ;)..either way I'm sure it's gonna be a really "FUN" racer...and when all is said and done,I suppose thats not too shabby eh! cheers all;)

This could be a nice little game with lots of improvements over other console "sims".

Deffo a buy for me...

I wish though they would support multimonitors on X360 or PS3 however the guy did in the interview with Jessica mention 3D for PC and possible for consoles. Err still waiting on a 3D report from the ISR team but fingers crossed it will be a feature soon. Particulary with the new wave of 3D ready monitors appearing this Spring/Summer.

Good interview by Jessica with good questions (oh and liked the lipstic, smiling as always). Thanks to you guys for bringing us that little report, well done!

The only let down for me on the interview was no questioning or confirmation of T500 RS being supported, which Id assume it will but lots of people it seems are concerned about this particulary non PC gamers but using mainly PS3.

I very much enjoyed Jessica's interview regarding Shift 2.

I heard her ask one of my questions regarding support for eyefinity but my most important question wasn't asked (unless I missed it) was if Shift 2 will support LAN (Local Area Network) play. For me, this feature decides if Shift 2 is a buy or not buy.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I enjoyed your pre-preview. It looks like it's going to be a fun game. That you for making the effort to go and see it and report quite a bit even though there's still a bit of time before it comes out.

I'm a little concerned about the fact he said there would be no pit-stops 12minutes in..... How will this work for longer races fuel and tyre wise?

Does Shift 1 have pit-stops? how did they work?

Does Shift 1 have pit-stops? how did they work?

No pit stops in Shift 1 and max of 20 laps so those 2 things made it non-sim-like along with the original physics. If it weren't for the mods I would never play it..

NFS Shift 2 Nürburgring Race Track WHOLE COURSE MIA?

Most of you reading this probably know, but for those of you who don't; Nordschleife means "Northern Loop" in German, this was the only portion of the Nürburgring Motorsport Race Track complex in Nürburg, Germany included in Shift 1.

The "Nürburgring" track has now been added to shift 2 which includes the tracks located on the Southern Loop of the complex.

24 hour races and some other events at the Nürburgring complex utilize the Gesamtstrecke ("Whole Course in German") that combines both the Nordschleife ("Northern Loop") and variations of the tracks located on the Southern Loop.

"Several touring car series are still competing on the Nordschleife, using either only the simple 20.8 km (12.9 mi) version with its separate small pit lane, or a combined 24.4 km (15.2 mi) long track that uses a part of the modern F1 track plus its huge pit facilities."

(Scroll down the Nürburgring Wiki webpage: to the "Nordschleife racing today" header)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring

I see no listing for any variation the Gesamtstrecke ("Whole Course") that combines Nordschleife ("Northern Loop") and some variation of the tracks located on the Southern Loop that are used for 24 hour races and other events listed on either the official EA Shift 2 Nordscleife's or Nürbring's configurations on their respective track web pages.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed/tracks

The official EA Shift 2 Nordschleife Track List web page indicates the same configurations used for Shift 1 Nordschleife.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed/track/NORDSCHLEIFE

This recent video posted on YouTube of the Pagani Huyara at Nordscleife in Shift 2 also indicates this.

See:

Since Shift 1, the transitions to and from the southern loop (Nürbring, Mullenbach) have been present on the straight used for the Start/Finish line just after the final curve of the Nordscleife track and prior to the first curve, but access is blocked by barriers. The transitions and barriers are also visible in the Pagani Huyara Shift 2 video linked above.

The official EA Nürburgring Track List web page lists "MULLENBACH, SPRINT SHORT, SPRINT, GP" configurations of the southern loop tracks.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/shift2unleashed/track/Nürburgring

Given that the "Southern Loop" tracks and their variations are now included in Shift 2 it would be a travesty to not include at least one "Whole Track" configuration.

GT 5 also offers two different variations of the Whole Course, one for 24 hour races and one for 4 hour races.

For some reason the graphic used for the official EA Shift 2 Nürbring track web page is actually the bridge at Ex-mühle on Nordscleife which is about 2 miles north of any the tracks included in the Nürburgring track configurations!

post-5621-135485904613_thumb.jpg

Is there still gonna be a ISR SHIFT2 preview show guys? I know they are being quite tight lipped about this game this time and don't seem very keen to allow the media to show footage. But i remember seeing one of the shows saying you would have a copy before release for preview.

SHIFT 2 DROPS SUPPORT FOR FANATEC WHEELS?

On 03-07-2011 Speed Hunters/Rod Chong (NFS S2 Creative Director) stated in his Shift 2 FAQ posted on Speed Hunters Blog that the Fanatec wheel was supported on PS3.

Its listed directly below the Silver NFSCOM_McLAREN_MERCEDESBENZ_SLR_722 picture on the post.

See: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/03/07/shift2-...requently-asked-questions.aspx

....and on the same day EA Forums Moderator posted an Official Supported Wheels thread that listed the Fanatec wheel as supported on PS3, he also stated that this information was direct from Speed Hunters.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/post/shift-2-unleashed...orted-wheel-list#comment-56038

Today, 03-22-2011, exactly one week prior to the release of NFS Shift 2, EA's official NFS Blog no longer lists the Fanatec wheel as supported on PS3.

See: http://www.needforspeed.com/post/shift-2-unleashed-pc-requirementssupported-wheel-list

I was quite hyped by all the vids on NFS, and all the talk from developers that it will be knocking on GT5's door. Then a friend went to CEBIT and played it, and he has been around titles like GT5, and said its not as good as it sounded like. Then all the vids with gameplay showed up - and they sort of confirm it.

It looks like NFS went into "real racing" from a different perspective. The want the game to "feel" like you are in a race and get you adrenaline pumping, but not because it has realistic physics, but because of this helmet cam, light effects during night racing, sounds, smugging, impressive crashes and driving to the limit.

For sure its gonna be a fun game to play, but unfortunately still arcade. And comparing it to GT5 and Forza is a marketing trick IMHO.

For me still in the NFS series Porsche Unleashed is the closest they ever got to driving :P That sounds so sad ...