Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dirt 3 complete edition WITHOUT GFWL!

24 posts in this topic

Can anyone report on how Dirt 3 feels with a Fanatec CSR? If its decent, and if there are enough online players for rally or trailblazer events, I'll probably get this title.

I finally downloaded the new version last night...

and Dirt 3 won't even acknowledge that my TX is connected--I can't even map or bind the controls to it.

and it crashes at the end of a race, reporting some kind of error about a missing socket or something.

The GFWL version worked fine, and it's still installed. Someone posted that they resolved their problems by deleting the old version. Maybe I'll try that later.

I hadn't updated my Dirt 3 for months because it let me avoid GFWL, but it seems to have done it itself, or at least it didn't ask me for the update... and the stuttering is gone as far as I can tell.

and it crashes at the end of a race, reporting some kind of error about a missing socket or something.

That is the motion/telemetry bug so it looks like they didn't fix that. Are you running something like Sim Vibe, FanaLEDs or an SLI?

I hadn't updated my Dirt 3 for months because it let me avoid GFWL, but it seems to have done it itself, or at least it didn't ask me for the update... and the stuttering is gone as far as I can tell.

Nevermind, my version still asks for an update, and I still say no. :lol:

How has someone not just hacked GFWL out of it?? :(

I wish I could even see if it's the same for me -- pulls to the right...

But I can't even get Dirt 3 to see my Thrustmaster TX, TH8A, and T500 Pedals. It won't let me manually "bind" the controls--I select something to set (steer left, right, brake, etc.) and turn the wheel, press a pedal, move the shifter... nothing.

Neither the GFWL nor the new "Complete" version will allow me to do this.

My Fanatec CSR Elite worked fine with the GFWL version, and when I replaced it with the TX, it works with Dirt 2, but again, neither of the Dirt 3 versions.

I checked the Steam site yesterday. Four or five day ago they acknowledge that there's a problem with wheels turning to the right and that they're working on it.

I guess we all need to login to the Steam site, state or problem, and include details on our software and hardware.

Okay, for some reason, after trying three times a couple of days ago, I am now able to assign controls to my TX. I have no idea why it started working today.

...and, yes, the force feedback mostly pulls to the right. It also feels like it's reversed, but with more pull to the right.

But there's good news--a new post on the Steam forum four hours ago...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

justbiglee  [developer] 4 hours ago 
notification_icon_flag_dark.png?v=1forum_topicicon_reply.png?v=1
Hi all, I have an update for you and it's good news!

We've found the problem and fixed the FFB issue internally.

The next thing we have to do is give it a bloody good testing to make sure it is 100% fixed. This will be done over the next few days, if everything goes smoothly *touch wood* we'll then upload the fix to Steam and get it distributed so we should have a patch out in the next few working days (next week). 

As ever I'll keep you updated, hopefully it passes testing OK :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/1/611702631209592196/#c611702631240505637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I still have another MAJOR problem. I posted this in the Steam forum...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirt 3 CE and GFWL crashes when finish line is crossed

The GFWL version was installed several months ago. It was working fine until...

I installed the CE version a couple of days ago.

Currently, both versions are still installed--this could be the problem, please advise.

Every time I finish any race, the SECOND I cross the finish line...

The audio freezes, the screen goes black, and I have to CTL-ALT-Delete to get to the task manager to select Dirt 3 and End Task.

Once I've loaded the Task Manager, I can see there are two Dirt 3 windows on the task bar. If I roll the mouse over them, I can see one is an error message, and if I roll over it, I can see this message...

"sendto failed with error 10038: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

Someone on another forum suggested that it might be a problem with FanaLED (I used this with my previous wheel, a Fanatec CSR Elite). I've checked to make sure FanaLED isn't running, and the problem persists.

System
Pentium G3220 3.00GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
GPU: GeForce 750ti

Thrustmaster TX, Firmware 48.B9, Driver 2.8.16.0
TH8A, Firmware 22.0, Driver 1.4.3.0

Dirt 3 CE and GFWL crashes when finish line is crossed

The GFWL version was installed several months ago. It was working fine until...

I installed the CE version a couple of days ago.

Currently, both versions are still installed--this could be the problem, please advise.

Every time I finish any race, the SECOND I cross the finish line...

The audio freezes, the screen goes black, and I have to CTL-ALT-Delete to get to the task manager to select Dirt 3 and End Task.

Once I've loaded the Task Manager, I can see there are two Dirt 3 windows on the task bar. If I roll the mouse over them, I can see one is an error message, and if I roll over it, I can see this message...

"sendto failed with error 10038: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

Someone on another forum suggested that it might be a problem with FanaLED (I used this with my previous wheel, a Fanatec CSR Elite). I've checked to make sure FanaLED isn't running, and the problem persists.

System
Pentium G3220 3.00GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
GPU: GeForce 750ti

Thrustmaster TX, Firmware 48.B9, Driver 2.8.16.0
TH8A, Firmware 22.0, Driver 1.4.3.0

That is the motion/telemetry bug. Are you using any kind of SLI/Motion/Sim Vibe?

It was introduced way back in Dirt 3 1.2. I have asked codemasters many times for a fix but every time they say they will not fix it.

I started a thread about it on the Codemasters forum. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/183/dirt-3-telemetry-and-motion-simulator-bug

Please bump that or PM Justbiglee and hopefully we can get it fixed

Send me a link to your steam thread and I will bump it with more technical data on why it is happening. It is a know bug with Dirt 3.

That is the motion/telemetry bug. Are you using any kind of SLI/Motion/Sim Vibe?

It was introduced way back in Dirt 3 1.2. I have asked codemasters many times for a fix but every time they say they will not fix it.

I started a thread about it on the Codemasters forum. http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/183/dirt-3-telemetry-and-motion-simulator-bug

Please bump that or PM Justbiglee and hopefully we can get it fixed

Send me a link to your steam thread and I will bump it with more technical data on why it is happening. It is a know bug with Dirt 3.

As far as I know, I don't have SLI/Motion/Sim Vibe.

So why is this happening now? The GFWL version was working.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/321040/discussions/1/611702631241216673/

BTW, I just had a hilarious experience in Dirt 2 on the China Trailblazer course, The car in front of me apparently ran off the track, got stuck for a second, then bee-lined back to the course... caught an embankment at the edge of the road, and just barely cleared the top of my car. I wish I had turned on Shadowplay so I could've recorded it. Dirt 2 wouldn't let me alt-tab out so I could turn it on after the fact.

Nothing like FanaLEDs or Dashmeter Pro?

It happens when you turn motion on. You could have been running a older pre 1.1 version before and accidental had motion turned on.

Check your hardware_settings_config.xml file in your \Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings folder

If it is set to this then you will get that crash

<motion enabled="true" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="1" />

Change it to 

<motion enabled="false" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="0" />

This will disable motion/telemetry so you won't get hit by the bug

Just posted this at Steam..

-----------------------------------------------------
I just checked the file, and it's showing...

<motion enabled="true" extradata="3" delay="1" port="30500" ip="127.0.0.1"/>

It's odd that extradata is 3.

I think I know what has happened. When I installed the new CE version, it wrote a new file in my settings folder.
-----------------------------------------------------

I see that there a config file marked - ORIGINAL. My memory may be fading, but maybe I had actually fixed this last year after I first installed Dirt 3.

I do have DashMeterPro for the SimBin titles (GTR2, Race 07, etc.) and the version for iRacing, but they're not running when I'm in Dirt 3.

I've made the change, and I'm launching Dirt 3 to test it again.

...and the CE version is working--not crashing at the finish line.

Testing the GFWL version next for S&G, and to enjoy the correct FF until the next patch is released for the new CE version.

Port 30500 and Extradata=3 is default settings for FanaLEDs. Maybe you had that installed at some stage.

If you have it set to <motion enabled="true" extradata="3" delay="1" port="30500" ip="127.0.0.1"/> then you will get the crash.

Just turning the motion on is enough to crash the game.

set it back to <motion enabled="false" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" extradata="0" /> and it will work

Yes, that fixed it -- extradata="0"

Both versions are working again.

...now we just need the FF fix.

...and hopefully they'll fix the bug that bugging you guys with motion rigs.

Awesome!!! Both version use the same config file.