Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Throwback -- Mad Catz Andretti Racing Wheel

7 posts in this topic

I used to have one of these -- it was a very decent wheel from back in the Thrustmaster NASCAR Pro era, solid bungee cord internals, decent pedals, very nice feel to the wheel and shifter.  Not a very popular wheel due to pooer distribution and low availability in general, I believe, but I thought it measured up well to it's pre-Force Feedback competition from Thrustmaster and Logitech:

Link:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andretti-Racing-Wheel-Mad-Catz-circa-1999-Mario-Michael-Jeff-RARE-/121600318745?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1c4ff19d19

Too bad they never followed-up with another decent wheel that was able to compete with the leading competition.

:(

The one that I have always wanted to find out what happened to was a MadCatz, or someones modification, that was all aluminum. I saw a picture of it in a magazine back in 97 or 98. It was all billet aluminum with the electronics transplanted. Someone put a lot of time and effort into that wheel. Pretty sure it was a one off, too bad it wasn't usable after PlayStation 1. 

I know this wheel. IMO their best wheel for its time was - Joytech Williams F1 wheel. To have FFB on PS2 + Display that shows your lap times is very advanced for its time. Quick release and official Williams license. Joytech is Mad Catz. This company have many names;)

The Joytech wheel had both a FFB and a non FFB version. Never got to use one but it looked too toy like in blue and white... the black FFB one looks kinda cool tho.

I remember selling wheels in the PS2 era and they were all pretty terrible unless you went Logitech. I had both the SEGA Saturn Arcade Racer and the Dreamcast Racing Wheel and both kinda sucked. Neither even included pedals. I sold TONS of MadCatz MC2 and Pelican TT wheele every time a new GT game came out.