Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster T3PA-PRO Pedal Set Review

40 posts in this topic

It appears that this pedal set differs slightly from the t3pa's as it has 2 conical rubbers compressing each other whereas the t3pa just has the one, correct?

And would you say these pedals have a stiffer bake than the t3pa's assuming the exact same settings are used for distance? Or too close to notice a difference?

And finally, does it appear the clutch can be removed from the pedal set easily if one just wants gas and brake pedal?

Thanks for the review Darin.

It's nice to know I can get a replacement set of pedals if my original T500 pedals ever pack it in.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

It appears that this pedal set differs slightly from the t3pa's as it has 2 conical rubbers compressing each other whereas the t3pa just has the one, correct?

And would you say these pedals have a stiffer bake than the t3pa's assuming the exact same settings are used for distance? Or too close to notice a difference?

And finally, does it appear the clutch can be removed from the pedal set easily if one just wants gas and brake pedal?

Actually if you are referring to my video, that is one piece of rubber with a reflection of it on the back of the pedal arm. It's identical to the T3PA pedals. 

so is a piece of rubber as good as a loadcell these days??   i used to have a squash ball behind the pedal on my dfgt's....i assume these pedals still measure the distance of travel rather than pressure applied.

thats exactly what i am wondering myself.will be ordering the t3pa pro set as soon as got the funds so shall be able to inform people rather soon my foughts on this.i just cant imagine how its going to beat the load cell system but i could be wrong

so is a piece of rubber as good as a loadcell these days??   i used to have a squash ball behind the pedal on my dfgt's....i assume these pedals still measure the distance of travel rather than pressure applied.

I think it does the job as well when it's a quality mod like the conical is. Yes they do measure travel versus pressure, but the reality of it is, you have to apply more pressure as you reach the end of the throw. Does a load cell make you faster or brake better over a mod like this ? I am using these pedals full time now on my main rig and I'm just as good under braking with them compared to a set of Clubsports or even the DSD pedals I was using.  

I think it does the job as well when it's a quality mod like the conical is. Yes they do measure travel versus pressure, but the reality of it is, you have to apply more pressure as you reach the end of the throw. Does a load cell make you faster or brake better over a mod like this ? I am using these pedals full time now on my main rig and I'm just as good under braking with them compared to a set of Clubsports or even the DSD pedals I was using.  

Hi Darin,

How does the conical brake mod compare to Basherboards bushings?

Cheers.

I started thinking about this argument regarding brake pedal pressure.

I many ways, Darin might be very right in his assumptions, hear me out here and I'm no electronic wizard either........

Be it a potentiometer, a load cell or hydraulic brake mod, it's not the mod that decides what's happening in the sim you are driving, the mod only tried to replicate pedal feel.

It's the electric signal from the Potentiometer, Load Cell amp and whatever a hydraulic brake uses for signalling. It's this electric signal that tell the sim how much brake to use. Be it by pedal travel or by pedal pressure, the computer / Sim doesn't know the difference.

The rest is personal preferences as to how a brake pedal should feel under foot. I've never sat in a real race car let alone drive one, so I go by what feels good to me, I don't care what the mechanism is, it has to feel good to ME. :)

That's my view on this, I might be wrong, but I know what I like.

Take care

I started thinking about this argument regarding brake pedal pressure.

I many ways, Darin might be very right in his assumptions, hear me out here and I'm no electronic wizard either........

Be it a potentiometer, a load cell or hydraulic brake mod, it's not the mod that decides what's happening in the sim you are driving, the mod only tried to replicate pedal feel.

It's the electric signal from the Potentiometer, Load Cell amp and whatever a hydraulic brake uses for signalling. It's this electric signal that tell the sim how much brake to use. Be it by pedal travel or by pedal pressure, the computer / Sim doesn't know the difference.

The rest is personal preferences as to how a brake pedal should feel under foot. I've never sat in a real race car let alone drive one, so I go by what feels good to me, I don't care what the mechanism is, it has to feel good to ME. :)

That's my view on this, I might be wrong, but I know what I like.

Take care

I think you just hit the nail on the head Jack. Very well put and I agree with this.

noone makes a standalone usb cable for this? or t500 pedals?

Yup -- it's called the Bodinhausen T500 Pedal Adapter, available from Sim-Sport.net:

Link:  http://www.sim-sport.net/sr-1-chassis.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=38&category_id=6

B)

The BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod will also work with these pedals (and with the T500/TX/T300 wheel bases, or with the Bodinhausen adapter above).

dang that plus cable you need for usb connectivity is almost half price of the pedals and more than cpx adapter I have and used to use when I used a TX wheel.  On all fanatec stuff now but cspv2 pedals I got are a PITA and tired of maintaining them and I am not a fan of load cell at all and the brake on the cspv2 in general... i might end up just going mppc after all or the hpp prx.  I want inverted pedals bad on my obutto r3v too...thought going with t3pa pro would be cheap alternative.

quick question: i know u mentioned it in the review but just wanted to double check: can this horizontal bar be removed so u just have a base kinda like the regular t3PA?

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-26%20at%203.56.0

Based on Darin's video it comes uninstalled.

I want inverted pedals bad on my obutto r3v too...thought going with t3pa pro would be cheap alternative.

I ran my T500 pedals inverted for a while, it was neat but the way the base is they felt kinda flimsier and cheaper in a way. Also less stable. Honestly it was probably because of the way stiffer brake from the Basher Mod more than a problem with the pedals as designed. ANYways, I was happier when I went back to "F1" style.

I ran my T500 pedals inverted for a while, it was neat but the way the base is they felt kinda flimsier and cheaper in a way. Also less stable. Honestly it was probably because of the way stiffer brake from the Basher Mod more than a problem with the pedals as designed. ANYways, I was happier when I went back to "F1" style.

Funny, the T500 pedals in F1 mode just didn't feel right to me -- I run my T500 pedals inverted (GT style) and I think it puts the pedals at a MUCH better angle (less fatigue and better control for me). 

I've also got the BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod installed on my pedals, so I'd say the brake is probably stiffer than with the Basher Mod.

dang that plus cable you need for usb connectivity is almost half price of the pedals and more than cpx adapter I have and used to use when I used a TX wheel.  On all fanatec stuff now but cspv2 pedals I got are a PITA and tired of maintaining them and I am not a fan of load cell at all and the brake on the cspv2 in general... i might end up just going mppc after all or the hpp prx.  I want inverted pedals bad on my obutto r3v too...thought going with t3pa pro would be cheap alternative.

Even with the cost of the Bodinhausen adapter, the Bodnar cable, AND a BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod, the T3PA-Pro pedals are still FAR cheaper than the MPCC or HPP pedals -- and, once you dress-out your T3PA-Pro (or T500) pedals like that, they are FAR superior to the Fanatec CSPs, IMO.  Rock-solid, built like a tank, and a durable and proven design that's incredibly simple to switch between F1 and GT mode . . . you don't get that kind of versatility in pedals costing 3 - 4 times as much.

Funny, the T500 pedals in F1 mode just didn't feel right to me -- I run my T500 pedals inverted (GT style) and I think it puts the pedals at a MUCH better angle (less fatigue and better control for me). 

I've also got the BLC-T500 Load Cell Mod installed on my pedals, so I'd say the brake is probably stiffer than with the Basher Mod.

Huh. Maybe I just have a heavier foot. The heel plate always was flexing and the weight resting up high always kind of gave me the feeling of instablity. Really it also could have been flex in my pedal plate on the oZone.

While I understand your mod is stiff as hell too, the OG Basher mod with the 2 white bushings was also crazy stiff, and again, I bet that was not a small part of why I felt like I felt. There's a good chance that if I tried it again with the somewhat less aggressive bushings he includes now I'd probably feel more secure about it. We'll see how these CSP's treat me, maybe if I go back I'll try GT style again.

Huh. Maybe I just have a heavier foot. The heel plate always was flexing and the weight resting up high always kind of gave me the feeling of instablity. Really it also could have been flex in my pedal plate on the oZone.

While I understand your mod is stiff as hell too, the OG Basher mod with the 2 white bushings was also crazy stiff, and again, I bet that was not a small part of why I felt like I felt. There's a good chance that if I tried it again with the somewhat less aggressive bushings he includes now I'd probably feel more secure about it. We'll see how these CSP's treat me, maybe if I go back I'll try GT style again.

You also might have bigger feet than me -- my feet are size 8-1/2 to 9, depending on the shoe, so my feet tend to about the right size for sim pedals in general (lucky me, eh?).

;)

That said, CSPs have ALWAYS felt more "dainty" than the T500 pedals to me.  Nice craftsmanship, design, engineering, and build quality, to be sure, but even with my semi-small feet, I've always felt like I could do serious damage to CSPs if I applied too much force.

You also might have bigger feet than me -- my feet are size 8-1/2 to 9, depending on the shoe, so my feet tend to about the right size for sim pedals in general (lucky me, eh?).

;)

That said, CSPs have ALWAYS felt more "dainty" than the T500 pedals to me.  Nice craftsmanship, design, engineering, and build quality, to be sure, but even with my semi-small feet, I've always felt like I could do serious damage to CSPs if I applied too much force.

Yes, that is true. If you need to borrow shoes I'll ask my sister if she can spare any. :lol:

I can promise you have a easier time finding thin soled racing shoes than I will tho. :(

ANYways... as far as the CSPs go, I haven't used these yet, but I was actually surprised at how big and heavy they are. I mean, they're much more T500 weight than G27 weight, that's for sure. I'm not very deep into them moneywise, and I still don't know if I'll like them better than the T500 peds, but I am anticipating they'll become my primary pedals. We'll see. Just in case I won't sell my T500 pedals straight away... if at all.