Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ps3 vs pc iracing &rfactor2

9 posts in this topic

Hi there

I am about to buy my first pc In the next couple of days to hopefully install Rfactor2 and Iracing, plus richatd burns rally.

This PC will only have these 3 items on it in an attempt to keep it fast operating.

I am coming from a PS3 with Gran Turismo 6

I am using a logitec G27 with a playseat set up. It has 5.1 surround sound, 1 monitor, hope to get 3 later on.and the G27 has been modified with a handbrake from a Ford Ka!

I have been getting fed up with being used as a brake for other cars on the first corner when racing online with GT6 and other ps3 games. So my questions

1)AM I doing the right thing?

2)Does Iracing and rfactor2 give a better experience than gt6?

3) are the other drivers on pc more polite in their driving than on the ps3.

Thank you for your comments, as I really want to step my hobby up and hope I am going the right way

This is definitely a subject that will bring a lot of opinions and views. However, if you want to get more serious about sim-racing, then you really do need to transition to the PC.

That being said, you need to be realistic in your expectations, especially for iRacing.

On the subject of whether rFactor 2 and iRacing will provide a better experience than GT6... that all depends on what you expect that experience to be. Though I am still a big fan of the Gran Turismo series, it is very forgiving and mostly a fun experience. I wouldn't discredit GT6 for what it has to offer, and I'd even recommend it to some. One problem is that GT6 is "behind" many of the other sims that are out today, and I hope GT7 will help the series catch up. However, Polyphony Digital often seem to be "out of touch" with the sim-racing world, and concentrate on one thing that 1% of their audience will use, while they should be concentrating on things to make it the "sim-racing" title they purport it to be.

The other problem is that GT6 almost "trains" you to use off-throttle understeer or even "downshift understeer" while turning. With almost every car, you can lift or downshift and get the car to "snap" and "rotate" into a turn. It's definitely a fun way to drive... but it's not realistic, and ultimately teaches you very bad habits and hurts your driving skill development. This was more evident in the earlier versions, and while it's improved (or there's less of the effect), it's still there. I still have trouble sometimes when I know I start falling back to those bad habits while in other sims that are less forgiving.

Though I own rFactor 2 (and rFactor), I'm just not a big fan of the title. Someone else that spends more time with rFactor 2 could give you a better comparison. The major problem I have with it is that rFactor 2 doesn't run well at all on my system, and many others with more high-end systems report the same problem. rFactor (the first version) seems to be a pretty good title, but I actually enjoy GTR 2 a lot more. Like rFactor, there are hundreds of car and track mods for GTR 2. It's a "virtual sim-racing playground."

iRacing is centered on developing your racecraft, and online competition. Compared to GT6, it is at the other end of the sim-racing spectrum. GT6 has 1,000+ cars, while iRacing currently has 42 (all very high quality and laser-scanned). In GT6, you can have an "authentic" race with a full field of almost every car from the real series (though with limited teams or liveries), while in iRacing, most of the races consist of everyone in the same car, and only a few race series with three or four different cars (Legends, Spec Ford, oval racing and Indycar are the most "realistic" events because the real series has a limited field).

Though GT6's physics have changed some through the versions, they still stay within a familiar "predictable" range. iRacing's physics have greatly evolved over the past couple of years. The "good" things about iRacing's physics are brilliant (even more so recently), but there are moments, usually right at the edge of traction, where it's obvious they still need to address some things--and they have been making vast improvements recently. It's as if you're experiencing one of the best physics engines of any sim while you're staying within it's "safe" zone... then you go a little too far out, and you've gone beyond the working part of the iRacing physics model. Everything suddenly becomes unrealistic and "cartoonish" as you can't recover the car, and it spins or flips as if it's made of styrofoam. Also, the damage model is very unforgiving, and someone can "brush up" against your car, and suddenly "your car is toast" and you can barely return to the pits or you have to get towed (and lose a lap or more).

I mentioned GT6's off-throttle and "downshift" understeer... if you came to rely on that in GT6... you really need to "unlearn" that bad habit right away for iRacing. Though some cars may benefit from off-throttle understeer, and it may help them "rotate" more through a turn, if you can use it, you still have to regulate your throttle more carefully. However, for many of the cars, you can't do that, and if you try it, you'll quickly lose control of the car, and it may suddenly "violently" pull out of a turn, rather than in. However, if you learn to downshift and rev-match smoothly, control the throttle throughout most of the turn (even before the apex), the result will be faster lap times.

As for "polite" drivers... with GT6, unless you're a member of a league with "private" races, you're joining "public" races. Though there are many serious GT6 drivers, there are probably ten times more that are either out to have fun, don't care about being polite and "professional," or they really do want to crash into as many others as possible. For iRacing, I would probably "flip" that ratio--ten times more drivers that want to be "polite" and race "professionally."

In the rookie races and some of the lower license races, you'll probably have a bad experience with an "un-polite" driver every third or fourth race. More often than not, it's not because they intentionally did something wrong--they just made a mistake or two. On the flip side of this, if YOU really screw up, you'll likely get a message from someone after the race. Some may scold you, while others may ask you what happened that caused the accident. Be prepared to apologize, explain that you're still learning, and you know what to do next time to keep it from happening again. They'll usually get over it quickly, and some may even offer some advice or help.

For iRacing, overall, you've just got to stick with it, practice, practice, practice, watch tutorials, read the forums, practice some more, spectate or "ghost" some races (official series or hosted), practice even more, do some online practice sessions, do a Time Trial, run a qualifying session, then eventually race... and accept that you may rarely get even third, fourth, or fifth place (or even lower) in a race. Getting a podium finish is possible... but you've got to dedicate the time, and "earn" it.

To finish this up, remember that on the PC, there's more than rFactor 2 and iRacing. Don't forget Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme, Formula 1 2014 (& 2013), Dirt 2 & 3, Project CARS (coming soon), and the aged, but still fun GTR 2 (worth the purchase if you can find it). They all offer a good variety of a virtual racing and driving experience, different levels of sim-racing quality, and fun. If you're looking for the best ONLINE racing experience, iRacing is the pinnacle of the sim-racing field... and it's the most demanding, unforgiving and "punishing" of the titles... that can be very rewarding if you dedicate some time, do your "homework," learn to stay within the "limits" of iRacing's physics engine (and keep up with improvements to it), and learn and focus on becoming a good virtual race car driver.

So for a quick diversion, and an example of all-out sim-racing fun.. one of my Nordschleife "hot laps" in the Lotus 98t in Assetto Corsa...

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/17151-nordschleife-618-wip-lap/

yes your doing the right thing, i switched to pc for the very same reason that i was sick and tired of being bashed in races, cant really add more to what apex has posted but i can recomend assetto corsa, assetto wasnt about at the time and rfactor 2 looked awful a couple of years ago....so i went with iracing, but be careful  how you buy your content, i went a little crazy and bought it all and now i only use a handful of cars, skip barber...radical..and the gt cars.

iracing is very cool because nobody will purposely crash you (maybe in the mx5 series) and this leads to some great racing, its safety system also instills a sense of danger and the rating system pits you against same level drivers, assetto is my hop on and have fun title...the cars and tracks are sublime and even in random pickup servers you dont get crashed out as much...i say as much cause it still happens...even on pc you get guys cutting chicanes or generally trying to ruin races....there are plenty of passcoded rooms that hold some good clean racing, check out racedepartment for this. 

so yeah go for it, but be careful as it really gets addictive, you will lose time and money...but you will gain fun....have fun. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a98ukR9RPM

Great post ApexVGear

I remember when I  jumped into iRacing  for the first time coming from consoles when I thought was good at racing titles.  It was a shock to the system I was rubbish compared to the other guys that were racing, it was a humbling experience. It's hugely rewarding though when you practice and you see your performance and results slowly improving and it makes getting your first win even more rewarding.

Thank you guys for you thoughtd,so far.I will take a look at the other titles as well.I was thinking that I might be starting from scratch with this despite over 25 years of ps racing

However, I have real world track experience with several different kit cars miniture Nas Car here in the UK as its part of my companies job to repair these cars. Your comments have, I must say given me more enthusiasum as the lift off oversteer approach is what I am used to, but I would like to learn more and think this wil be the way.

Another good intro to sim racing title on the PC is Simbin's Race07 with add on packs or Race Injection (this is race07 with most of the add on packs included).

This is a sim, but a good entry level sim, it works great with triple screen for a older title, but it's gives you an idea as to how sims work, it's not too terribly difficult to drive but yet again, not as easy as console titles like Gran Tourismo, I would consider it a half way point between console and hardcore sims like iRacing and rFactor-2.

The other good point of Race07, it's very inexpensive. :)

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

GTR 2 and Race 07 are both SimBin (now Sector3) titles. Race 07 was released about a year after GTR 2.

For it's age, it's an excellent title. It features improved graphics and a nicer interface over GTR 2. Really, the only cons of this title are that it came out too soon after GTR 2 (the modding community was well into creating new free content for GTR 2), and that SimBin changed things up so it was harder to manage the mods within Race 07. The biggest problem (according to what I read in a few forums) is that they capped off the specific numbers assigned to each car.

There are still a lot of mods for Race 07, but you have to be careful. You may install a new mod, then suddenly some of your previously installed car mods are missing or not "working" properly. That's a shame, because Race 07 is definitely an improvement over GTR 2 in many ways. My overall impression is that GTR 2 is more hard core, while Race 07 was developed to be more approachable and manageable.

For the money (sometimes only a few dollars) it is a must-have title--if you can find it. Unfortunately, because of the company change from SimBin to Sector3, the SimBin titles aren't available for purchase and download on Steam at this time (though customers with "installed" copies still appear to be supported). Hopefully it's just a matter of them sorting things out and getting those titles back up.

Edit...

I just checked, and I found these on Steam--maybe they've resolved the SimBin-Sector3 issues, or I've found an old page in Steam that might not work. You'll have to sign in or set up an account on Steam to see if you can successfully purchase and download the titles. They did sell a "Mega-Bundle" on Steam for about $16.00 that included GTR 2, Race 07, and all of the other SimBin titles (at least six or seven in total if I remember correctly), but it's not listed on Steam and my searches aren't turning up anything,

GTR 2 on Steam for $7.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8790/

Race 07 on Steam for $3.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/