Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Formula 1 Discussion

295 posts in this topic

My alarm went off I decided to not get up as I know better and new what the result would be, I was right. From what ive read the drivers even said how boring it was this is why ive turned to the BTCC, anything is better then f1 now.

If they don't want to kill F1, Eclestone must react fast and investigate how Mercedes have their cars faster than others and adjust rules to let everyone on the same competition level. Mercedes may be using a glitch in the rules that others haven't found yet. Just remove Mercedes from the last race and you have great competitive race.

If they don't want to kill F1, Eclestone must react fast and investigate how Mercedes have their cars faster than others and adjust rules to let everyone on the same competition level. Mercedes may be using a glitch in the rules that others haven't found yet. Just remove Mercedes from the last race and you have great competitive race.

It's called hard work. Mercedes has done a better job than everyone else. You have to give credit where credit is due..

It's called hard work. Mercedes has done a better job than everyone else. You have to give credit where credit is due..

Agreed, maybe Mercedes have just done a better job at finding the extra speed out of their cars that the other teams just can't seem to get a handle on, BUT, when the same team always comes in 1st and 2nd, it makes for a really boring spectator sport and the entertainment value goes downhill because of it. I hated last year because of this, and after the first race, it hasn't changed, if you know who's going to win beforehand, why bother watching? When Redbull was dominating, it was Vettel that was dominating, Webber came in 2nd occasionally but not every race was a 1st and 2nd podium finish, so it was still interesting to see who else would be on the podium, now it's to see who gets the lower step of the podium, I'll watch a few more races this season, if things don't change, I'll write off this year and watch IMSA racing instead, it's a lot more entertaining than F1 has been.

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

I'm wondering how much the lack of testing is making this worse? How would you feel buying $500 tickets in Melbourne to see 15 cars start? Basically 2nd year in a row the race organizers paid a huge fee to host a test session.

You would never see this in any other form of racing. A substitute driver would have taken Bottas's spot. Kvyatt and Magnussen would have gone to backup cars and to the back of the field. As for Manor, they couldnt miss their 3 race in a row without being in breach of contract and only showed up to be eligible for point money.

Bit of a disgrace IMO. Always used to go to Canadian Grand Prix only 2 hrs down the road from me but my hairpin seats now over $600 for the race weekend. I can go 3hrs west and watch the TUSC series at Mosport for $150 and still have money for the Honda Indy in Toronto.

Lack of testing and stupid unnecessarily complicated rules makes things worse for F1, it's always been that way though to some degree.

That's what has always been frustrating being an F1 fan, the sport always manages to shoot itself in the foot at some point.

Indycar is really getting the right idea (although I hate the new Dallara cars and aero kits), all they need is more high caliber drivers, some good sponsorship and a little less emphasis on fuel strategy and they'll be successful.

Going the hybrid route was wrong for F1 - that type of cutting edge stuff was always left to sportscar racing and Lemans Prototypes. Thats where manufacturers test new ideas that will someday make its way to production cars.  Over complicated power units + new drivers + no testing is not not working. Was nice to see Sauber could take essentially a modified 2014 car and with an improved Ferrari power unit do well with a Rookie and near rookie driver.

Agreed, maybe Mercedes have just done a better job at finding the extra speed out of their cars that the other teams just can't seem to get a handle on, BUT, when the same team always comes in 1st and 2nd, it makes for a really boring spectator sport and the entertainment value goes downhill because of it. I hated last year because of this, and after the first race, it hasn't changed, if you know who's going to win beforehand, why bother watching? When Redbull was dominating, it was Vettel that was dominating, Webber came in 2nd occasionally but not every race was a 1st and 2nd podium finish, so it was still interesting to see who else would be on the podium, now it's to see who gets the lower step of the podium, I'll watch a few more races this season, if things don't change, I'll write off this year and watch IMSA racing instead, it's a lot more entertaining than F1 has been.

Take care

Regards: >>>> Jack <<<<

I agree, nobody likes domination. I have been watching F1 for 25 years now and I have come to realise that F1 works in cycles. There is always a team that will dominate for around 3 to 5 years then drop off. Just look at Mclaren Honda 1988/1992. Williams 1992,1993,1996,1997. Ferrari 2000/2004, RedBull 2010/2013. History says that Mercedes era will end someday.

This is a big money sport and I dont see it changing anytime soon thats for sure. We can count on boring 1-2 finishes for a while. 

Too bad about Botas with his back. Great driver and I fear this injury will sideline him for a while or at least a few races here and there this season. Not to mention Alonso..I wonder if his memory has returned.  

My dream for F1 would be everyone drives the same aero and engine and let the drivers race each other.

My dream for F1 would be everyone drives the same aero and engine and let the drivers race each other.

Unfortunately, that would kill off any manufacturer input for the sport.

The Mercedes domination is understandable, given their resources - but I would like to see the Mercedes 'customers' given the same power unit, so they could at least compete with the factory team. Williams and Lotus have to find other ways to catch Mercedes; but with the factory team improving their aero this year, they are in a different league. 

The upside is that Mercedes encourage their drivers to race - even though it was a two horse race last year, it was still entertaining. Hopefully this year will be the same, with 3rd place battled over. 

They need to let them race to get TV time.  There was practically no coverage of the front runners in Australia. 

I'm now more interested in watching to see how Vettel, Kimi, and the Williams boys do against each other and if they improve as the races go by. 

I hate to admit it but I prefer watching the preshow and qualifying a lot more than the race itself. 

I miss the BBC coverage! Eddie, DC...I also prefer the live race coverage from BBC vs Sky.  BBC tends to do very cool preshow type stunts and events, their coverage of the racers is more fun too. I think they still do some races so I try to download whats available.

I do agree, Sky has come a long way and they do a much better job now. I still fast forward most of the banter between Hill and the other guys, not a big fan of the main host. 

Agreed Seb.

The main host and a few of the others are a little too arrogant and self centered, but all in all, a lot better coverage than what I'd normally get from Canadian TSN (The Sports Network).

I haven't had cable TV for a little over a year now, my GF finds the F1 races and the before and after shows and they are from the Sky F1 Channel. So we sit there on race day, hours after the race has been run and we watch the shows. We just make sure we don't look up any site that might give us the outcome so it's like watching it live! lol :)

Take care

TSN picks up the BBC race coverage with David Coulthard and Ben Edwards - I like there coverage of the race alot better than SKY as I cant stand listening to Martin Brundle - apparently the BBC prerace coverage is great...or is it Suzi Perry is just nice to look at?? err what was I talking about again?

To me, growing up watching and starting to watch F1 in the 70's as a kid, nobody still beats Murray Walker..call me nostalgic......

Here's something new I just read, could open up a new can of worms in the F1 community?

Read it here

Time will tell.

Take care

I think there's legs to this story.  The scenario of Audi buying RB and Renault taking over Toro Rosso makes sense.

Well if Audi did buy RedBull i think they will have the same problems as Honda is currently having if so more trouble as they have no experience building an F1 engine. I think Honda will improve a lot during the season and will win a race this year. I've been watching the Mclaren MP4/30 on track and it seems to be a pretty good chassis.

Well if Audi did buy RedBull i think they will have the same problems as Honda is currently having if so more trouble as they have no experience building an F1 engine. I think Honda will improve a lot during the season and will win a race this year. I've been watching the Mclaren MP4/30 on track and it seems to be a pretty good chassis.

I'm not sure what Audi's motivation would be. Their sportscar program is second to none and very successful. The last LMP1 race at Sebring they brought their travelling museum and it was amazing to see the trickle down of LMP1 technology over the years to their production cars. F1 wouldnt benefit them in the same way at all.

I'm not sure what Audi's motivation would be. Their sportscar program is second to none and very successful. The last LMP1 race at Sebring they brought their travelling museum and it was amazing to see the trickle down of LMP1 technology over the years to their production cars. F1 wouldnt benefit them in the same way at all.

I agree, I just think that if Audi did buy RedBull, everybody will automatically think they will be championship contenders. That won't be the case... Mercedes will win every year until the FIA decide to change the engine formula. Their gap is to big.