Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Formula 1 Discussion

295 posts in this topic

We had some nice F1 discussions last season, especially at the beginning of the season.  With the new season just hours away, figure it would be good to create a topic to catch all of the conversation.  And boy, is there plenty to talk about...better or worse.  

All I can say is the sooner cars are on track, the less we'll have to talk about financially failing teams, Alonso being zapped (my opinion) and who's legally allowed to drive the Sauber this weekend.

Shame to see Alonso miss his first race of the season in the McLaren. Going to be interesting to see how Vettel does with Ferrari and will Mercedes dominate again..

I hope someone gives Mercedes a run for their money. It was honestly boring last year with their total dominance. 

I saw the latest IndyCar aero stuff too and I have to say -- just like your snap of that F1 front assembly -- I'm SUPER disappointed with the way formula racing tech has been headed these past number of years (I guess it's been far longer than that but things seem to have hit a crescendo recently).

I watch auto racing to enjoy the competition between drivers. I do this for the same reason that I don't give a ripple what the (aero) tech is behind an Olympic speed skater's suit. Sure, car tech is cool. I get that. But I can get just as much enjoyment (more actually) of the mechanical side of things by examining powerplants and tires and brakes and such. The aero madness is just a (my wind tunnel is bigger than your wind tunnel) crutch.

The closer F1 (and other formulas) move toward jacked in monkeys riding pre-programmed atlas rockets the less I want to watch.

It would actually be kind of cool to see someone at FIA et al grow some cojones and call for the removal of ALL aerodynamic aids across the board. Mechanical grip and mechanical grip alone.

It's time for F1 et al. to adopt some stuff baseball learned long ago. When you get to the big leagues, all you get to hit with is a wooden bat. Don't like that? Tough.

Well it looks like it's going to be a frustrating season for all Button fans like myself.

Curveto, if you get board with F1 and IndyCar you can always watch this for top racing......

Ugh. First year I won't be cheering for Ferrari Red in....ever(My life). :(

The aero, I personally love it. Form follows function and with unlimited funds allowed to develop those areas you will see what nature has been hiding, not so much an invention of man. To me it is a work of art and beautiful.

If you want a true match put them in Formula Fords. No one will bother to watch, however(At least not the paying masses).

I have no favorite this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Alonso take it all.

its going to be lewis v rosburg part 2, but looking forward to seeing how vershtappen handles it, there are some great drivers in the best of the rest seats...alonzo, vettell..button etc.....               and natalie pinkham... :???:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=natalie+pinkham&biw=1517&bih=783&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=h60CVffOF47PaOWxgogE&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=0.9

I'm just hoping Mercedes doesn't dominate like last year, always taking 1st and 2nd place, makes for boring racing when you know who's going to win before the race starts.

I'm hoping the Williams team continues to do well and that Bottas shows his real skills, this guy can drive!

I'm also hoping that MacLaren get their car sorted out and can make a decent appearance.

As for Sauber, I hope everything works out well for them, hate to see another team go under.

With last year's demise of both Catterham and Marusia, things are getting scary as far as retaining enough teams to make things interesting, can Lotus, Sauber, Force India survive? I sure hope so, it's always fun seeing who in the smaller teams does well.

The unfortunate truth is that F1 is pricing itself out of existence, too many teams going under prove this. :(

Take care

Regards:  >>>> Jack <<<<

Well I think it's going to be a Hamilton vs Rosberg battle this year. Mercedes have a done a great job with this power unit. I think Mercedes will lead the way for some years now while the regulations stay the same. Ferrari have improved and Mclaren I fear, will not get through Q1 and will struggle to finish the race

I think they should give Jeremy Clarkson a cockpit...wow, that would be a show ;)

That would be awesome! ...to bad he won't fit.

Maybe we could create a series filled with Camaros for those Big & Tall types (#daringange). Oh. Wait. There is one of those already.

<hehehe/>

Well it looks like it's going to be a frustrating season for all Button fans like myself.

Curveto, if you get board with F1 and IndyCar you can always watch this for top racing......

But wait! They did just that! 6 times over (by my last count). 'course, you're right. No one came.

LeMans ("How can you go wrong with piggy-pink 917s?" I ask you!

Can Am (you think a modern McLaren is cool ... hell ... a 197x McLaren with a screaming lump a-midships kicks modern F1 Honda-Hybrids any day!)

IMSA (956 ... yum)

LeMans

WEC?

ALMS (never got attached mostly cause, like Can Am and IMSA you couldn't find the programming at any price on video)

GrandAm (it just worked, helps that a friend of my is a suspension engineer too! ...makes the "which team to root for?" question easy)

...whatever the hell they're calling the current merger of GrandAm and ALMS (my current favorite)

Sebring on YouTube, here I come!

(and lest I forget)

GO AJR!!!! (alex jobe racing)

#23 and #22 FTW!

That was one of the most boring and pathetic races I've seen in a long time, I fell asleep at one point then woke up and missed absolutely nothing!  They spent millions of $ and thousands of man hours and this is the show they come up with, the most interesting thing about it was the rookie drivers and their relative performance to the established field.

Let's see what Indycar have to offer this year for entertainment.

Looks like a repeat of last year. Maybe Ferrari will take the scraps that Red Bull got last year. Good for Sauber after the year they went through last year. Only 11 cars finished the race and who was the only one that didn't get any points? McLaren. At least Button's car went 4 times as far as it did anytime in testing. Heck at least his car made it to the grid. The other one blew up.

3rd place is the new 1st... unless Mercedes sees any reliability issues.  Thankfully the mid-pack racing wasn't that bad.  But I will say, I was more entertained with the Formula E race this weekend.