Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nordschleife Released !

9 posts in this topic

Snoopy's version is excellent... considering he built everything from scratch without laser scanning.

Kudos version is excellent as well, and of course being laser-scanned with a few modelers and artists working on it makes it one of the most "perfect" virtual versions I've driven. It's what I'd expect in this case.

I just drove the Lotus 98t around the endurance version about three times... my "best" time so far is just under nine minutes, so I could probably cut another 15-20 seconds off with a few more laps. BTW I'm using the Thrustmaster TX, T500 pedals with a Ricmotech load cell mod, and the TH8A shifter--incredible experience while driving the Lotus.

I ran Snoopy's "Tourist" version at about 6:29 without dedicating a lot of time in the Lotus. I'm about to try Kunos version to see how the times compare (and if I can cut off another 10-20 seconds in the process).

I might capture and post one of the good laps in a day or two. It's amazing to watch the Lotus stick many of the turns and "slice" its' way through some of the more complex sections.

EDIT: I just ran a lap of Kunos' "Tourist" version in Hotlap mode, but because it has road blocks at the beginning and end (to return you to the pavilion) and the lap start and finish are in different locations, I can't get a direct lap time comparison to Snoopy's version where you just blow by the pavilion and start another lap at the pit section on the hill.

With only one lap completed (and the "abrupt" end--see below) I completed the lap at 6:15--I had a few errors where I ran wide or didn't carry speed through a few turns, and I overpowered out of one turn, hit the inside barrier and spun twice and came to a stop the wrong way, laid a doughnut to spin back around, and carry on.

For fun, on the Kunos version, I ran right into the blockade at about 173mph. The car stopped abruptly and the nose wedged under one of them, was stuck, and I couldn't reverse back and break loose. Quite funny in the replay.

EDIT 2: So Kunos' "Nordscheife," sans "Endurance" or "Tourist," is the "same" as Snoopy's version. Just ran 6:25 with one missed gear shift, about four errors through turns, and two MAJOR errors -- running off earlier in the lap, then catching a curb near the very end (before beginning the right handers into the straight) that caused loss of control resulting in shooting across the track, hitting the barrier, and spinning around. Maybe I'll clean it up in a few more laps and shave off at least ten more seconds.

The more accurate laser-scanned version is "faster" because the track is wider on some of the exits, like the real track, so you can carry more speed out of the turns. Though Snoopy's version is excellent, and his work shouldn't be discredited (I loved driving it until Kunos could release this version), many of the turns were too "tight" or narrow on the exits.

BTW, On my Windows 7 (64-bit) PC, after installing the latest version and the DLC, Assetto Corsa wouldn't load an event or race from the "launcher" interface. It would show the static loading screen, then return to the interface, and it was unresponsive if you wanted to view a car. I had to reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist_x86.exe) to get it working again.

I share your sentiments on Snoopy's version.  It's quite remarkable how similar it really is to the laser scanned version.  Quite a testament to his work.

I'll keep both.

With the Kunos version, you become aware of the extra finesse required to keep from upsetting the car due to undulations in the surface.

The corners also seem to come up faster as well.

Snoopy's version is also very nice. 

The environment feels a bit more 'alive' from the cockpit perspective than the official version.

Both are done very well.

I just got around to trying this and was astounded. This is by far the best Ring ever. It's a game changer and raises the bar on PC sim racing real high. rFactor 2 has a great version that just got trumped by this true work of art. A pleasant surprise!

I must admit that I'm even more impressed than I was expecting to be with this version.  It's everything I hoped for in a true laser scanned version of the track.   It somehow seems easier to drive than any other version.  Some of the corners that always confused me before seem to make sense now.   And I love the feel of the bumps and the off camber corners.

Everytime I drive Assetto Corsa I become more and more convinced it's quite possibly the most enjoyable simulations I've ever driven.  And considering that I've driven almost any sim you can think of, that's saying something.