Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DSD vs. HPP Pedals

112 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2015 at 1:36 AM, prattmiller said:

Just wanted to say I received my PRX-SE three pedal set.  You are in for a treat if you ordered one of these.  The clutch pedal is incredibly realistic feeling, add some dead zone at the top and bottom of the throw in your sim and it feels and behaves like a real clutch.  Gas pedal is also in another league.  Brake pedal, I'm using the extra soft pieces for the SE package, it is the real deal.  I'll need to speed more time with it to get it exactly the way I want though.  You need shoes unless you like to track a real car wearing socks.  Will do a full review in a month or two after a lot of use but initial impressions is it is worth every cent I paid and every day I had to wait.  Kudos to Mark for making incredible gear like this for the sim racing crowd.  BTW, the machined and hollowed pedal bodies qualify as art work.

Would be really interested to read your review, I want to invest in some high end pedals, been looking at HE, HPP, PT-1, ARC, DSD, but it's a minefield, Sim Racing Garage have some quite good reveiws but I don't consider that the same as someone on here giving there opinions and they are not available for everything. Would be great to be able to try them before as they are not cheap, but being in the UK thats not an option. I want to get it right as it's an expensive mistake to make.

I cant recommended the HE's enough (both the pros and the ultimates) and at the current exchange rate from GBP to EUR you really cant go wrong. The PT1s come close to the price of the Pros when you take into account the shipping, customs and VAT etc. Also if you don't like them then you can return them for a full refund with no questions asked. All you would really lose is around £10-20 shipping sending them back.

If we lived closer I would have invited you round to try out the Ultimates for yourself but it seems we live quite far from each other =P. 

19 hours ago, Aqib said:

I cant recommended the HE's enough (both the pros and the ultimates) and at the current exchange rate from GBP to EUR you really cant go wrong. The PT1s come close to the price of the Pros when you take into account the shipping, customs and VAT etc. Also if you don't like them then you can return them for a full refund with no questions asked. All you would really lose is around £10-20 shipping sending them back.

If we lived closer I would have invited you round to try out the Ultimates for yourself but it seems we live quite far from each other =P. 

That would've been great, I think i'm leaning towards HPP, just waiting to hear what the new PRX's are like

Found the feedback.  Pretty positive for the PRX pedals I guess.  Im still waiting for mine to turn up but there is no rush because I had a power surge recently and blew my projector, my graphics card and my T500 wheel power supply.  Looks like its gonna be a sim free Christmas for me.

Well, the PRX-SE Pedals turned up today.  Bit of a problem with DHL Malaysia, but HPP did everything they could to make the shipping as trouble free as possible.  Thanks Mark for all your help.

Anyway, took a bit of installing and found that the pedal plate isn't strong enough for the brake pedal and I'm sure it's not too long before something breaks.

So, just as soon as my replacement graphics card and projector comes back (after a power surge took the projector, graphics card and the T500 power supply out.  T500 power supply has been replaced), I will be able to try the pedals out in anger and give you guys some feedback.

20151227_203525.jpg

Rainady, glad to see your pedals arrived.  Is that the brake rubber setup (red bumper/small black bumpers) that shipped with the SE version? I ordered the heel rest a while back, and Mark gave me the 3 small black bumper setup, but I have yet to try them.  I was thinking that there may be enough of us prx/hpp pedal owners now, to start a brake tuning/setup thread.  

Hey Bullet.

Yes the brake bumper setup option came from Mark.  The small black bumpers are a lot softer than the red.  I have yet to actually try the pedals but even the red bumpers make the brake seem very stiff.  So stiff in fact, the plate that the pedals bolt onto flexes alarmingly when the brake is attempted to be pressed.  The small black bumpers do appear to allow quite a lot more brake pedal travel but until I get my PC back up and running, I cant tell for sure which setup is best.

So you are running with just red bumpers?  How does that feel to you?

As for setting up a HPP brake setup thread, that sounds like a great idea.  Have we an idea how many PRX-SE pedal owners there are out there?

Would be interesting to know where all the PRX-SE pedals and their users are.  Being based in Malaysia, I have a suspicion my pedals have traveled quite a long way and probably aprox half way round the world from California to here.

Jeez, I really want to try these pedals out but service repair times here are awful.  A month to repair/replace the graphics card and 2 weeks for the projector.  The graphics card is hardly a repairable item, why they couldn't just offer a replacement .... (although I suspect it was a power surge that blew the equipment so I should be grateful the failure is being covered under warranty).

Rainady,

I am using 2 red bumpers (as shipped).  Brake is stiff, but not too stiff.  I can't imagine how stiff the 2 large black bumpers are.  I have modified my RS1 pedal plate for the heavy pedal pressure.  Holidays have killed my seat time, but looking forward to the long new years weekend ahead.  Will work on some kind of setup criteria for the brake tuning thread. 

Well, I managed to try out the new PRX-SE pedals in anger last night.  Still not got the graphics card or projector replaced yet but used the PC's onboard graphics card and and a spare flat screen TV so I could at least get a feel for those lovely pedals.

My conclusion - well they certainly are nothing like the T500 pedals I was using previously.

The onboard graphics card really wasn't man enough for the job and I was getting an average 25fps so I don't think it was a fair test for the setup but the new pedals were a workout.  As for the padals in use, I did have one or two issues:

1. Because of the way the pedals are currently mounted in my rig, I needed to adjust rake of all three pedals to be as layed back as possible.  No problem with the throttle, but with the clutch in the fully raked back position, there is a bind between the turn buckle and the clutch spring housing.  Need to have another look later but it could be a problem and may need some major rework of the plate the pedals bolt to.

2.  To be honest, the clutch didnt feel as I expected.  When operated by hand, I could feel the cam working and the clutch felt lighter at the full extent of travel, but it really didnt feel any different when operating with my foot.  And no mater what I did, I couldnt get the biting point of the clutch in the right place, aprox half way through the pedal travel.  Whatever I did, the biting point was always at the full extent of travel.  I need to pay with that a lot more to make it feel more real.

3.  I set the brakes up initially using one red bumper and the three small black bumpers provided by HPP, bu that was way too soft.  Swapped to two red bumpers and the feel was better but still not right with the brakes locking up very easily and very little travel of the brake pedal.  I did some adjustment on the Assetto Corsa setup screen and started to get the feel a lot better.  I think with more tweaking I will be able to get a really good brake pedal feel, but I think its going to take a lot of time

4.  All three pedal were very noisy in use with lots of squeaks and rattles.  The cam rollers on the clutch felt very metallic in use and I could almost feel the movement of the rollers over the cam.  I dont know what I expected but it wasnt quite what I expected.  The brake pedal squeaked with each application, I'm wondering if I can apply some sort of lubricant where the brake actuation rod enters the master cylinder?  I'm very hesitant because I dont want to use something that will damage the seals.  Any ideas guys?  Has anybody stripped the pedals down enough to see if the the pedal pivots are on some sort of bearing or should I be applying some lubricant.  I think that may quieten the whole pedal set down a little.

5.  While Assetto Corsa is my usual 'go to' game, I did try Project Cars and was unable to calibrate the pedals at all.  Maybe I didnt look properly in the listings available in the setup screens, but when I selected T500 with separate pedals, calibrating the throw of the pedals did nothing, I wasnt able to calibrate the pedals at all, pressing the pedals did nothing.  If anybody knows where Im going wrong, please do let me know.

So, in conclusion, while it seems most of my comments and observations appear to be negative, I am very happy with the pedals and I'm pretty sure that with some tweaking, I will dial the pedals in and get them to feel really good.  It really didn't help trying out the pedals with a sub standard PC and I'm assuming that my lack of pace was down to the awful refresh rate I was dealing with which caused too much over compensation in my application of controls.  I did start to feel a difference in the way the pedals operated and I'm sure I could find braking points a little easier once I had made some adjustments.  I know things will get better as I start to dial the pedals in.  There is so much adjustment, it's going to take time to make the pedals feel the way I want them to.  I'm looking forward to getting my PC back to full operating conditions so I can really start to drive using those pedals.  Would I recommend these HPP pedals?  Oh yeah, but be prepared to fiddle and tweak to get those pedals the way you want them.

Oh yeah, one other point, make sure your rig is stiff enough for those pedals or be prepared to start strengthening.  With my current setup, I'm sure it wont be long before my pedal mounting plate breaks at the welds, there is so much more force being input into the rig.

Now can somebody explain to me in simple english, how to set up the simulator to benefit from Super Field Of View.  I came across some video on this forum and You Tube and that really seems the way to go for me instead of triple screens.

Just a bit of a follow up.

Been using the pedals for about a month now.  After lots of tweeking, I have managed to get the pedals dialed in to how I want them.  My lap times have plummeted.  While I'm still way of the pace of the fast racers, I'm now often in the top 2 or 3 rows on the grid and have started to get onto the podium.  And it's all down to the pedals I'm sure.

The pedals are still very noisy and in particular the throttle spring squeaks when operated which is quite annoying but with a little repositioning of the spring, it goes quiet for a while so I'm not complaining.

I'm back to the 1 red bumper and the 3 small black bumpers tightened up to take out all the slack.  Car feels so much better now with me being able to apply brakes without locking them up.

Im using the lightest spring on the throttle which seems better for me now.  Lots of modulation.  Not a lot more I can say.

I found that when using the clutch I now have to heel and toe for most manual cars because without that I was locking the back end up as I down shifted.  But when I heel and toe, all seems well and use of engine breaking seems so much more realistic.  I think I used the mid strength spring on the clutch and it feels just the right weight for a good feel although I still dont really feel the 'over center' feeling I expected.

All in all, a great pedal set but make sure your rig is strong enough to withstand the increased loads.

Andy

On 12/28/2015 at 11:07 AM, bullet said:

Rainady, glad to see your pedals arrived.  Is that the brake rubber setup (red bumper/small black bumpers) that shipped with the SE version? I ordered the heel rest a while back, and Mark gave me the 3 small black bumper setup, but I have yet to try them.  I was thinking that there may be enough of us prx/hpp pedal owners now, to start a brake tuning/setup thread.  

Mark didn't preview his new pedals till about two months after I got his first generation ones shipped. So I've been using mine for about a year and love them. Have finally got my clutch set up with some Springs to make it feel awesome. The first generation clutch doesn't look as adjustable as the new ones. I'm so loving mine and look forward to years of use. 

I'm for starting a thread to focus on our pedals. 

20150115_102052.jpg