Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need for Speed SHIFT - Overhaul Mod?

6 posts in this topic

anyone tried this

I keep hearing people talk about how great it is .... is it more realistic?

and You have my vote to do a review of this mod on the show and let us know... would really like the scoop on this thing

I gave up on the demo last year for being too arcade style. Mash thottle, steer anf drift. Loved the cockpit detail. I took interest in a growing mod community and saw the scientists making the physics mods. I decided to give it a try with a full version. I did the install , patched to v1.02 and unpacked it. Then I installed the DLC car pack for PC. I then installed these mods in this order:

Overhaul Mod V1.3

Sharp Mod Sim Handling V6.01 (Just came out with latest version-made to use with Overhaul Mod)

Better Shift Visuals Mod (removes most fake banners-not perfect, but Road America is way better looking)

Careful on the last one:

Need For Speed Shift Simulation SK MOD V2.7 using THE CAMERA FILE ONLY!!!

This mod really screws up physics - numb FFB and to much grip everywhere. Easy to pass cars on grass!

Just used the Camera folder ONLY to remove all cockpit speed blur. I can see now!

With these mod combos anybody with a G25/G27 will note a dramatic improvement. I am using the Tier 3 Falken Cayman S (not the Tier 2 ones you can buy) and It's Ithe best driving car I've tried in a long tine of GTR2/ rFactor. Just follow those read me notes on the Sharp Mod and use their tested settings. They did their work. This Tier 3 Cayman S is so addictive to throw around I could not leave it alone last night.

Not perfect, but way better. Some other vehicles still have numb FFB and the tracks seem narrow and not buit to true scale. The UI is still the same with too many overboost and arcade type upgrades.

Let's get Shaun to work and try it himself to see if it is now sim worthy. I think it is close, but not a true sim. A fun alternative.

The only thing that has me hesitant about installing either the Overhaul or Sharp mods, is that you have to assume the majority of players who race online in this game are NOT using either mod. Therefore, that being the case, if they are playing Shift with the stock physics, they are going to have an unfair advantage in both speed and grip around the track.

Basically the point I'm making is, arcade physics are faster than pure sim physics in a game like this, so it would be smart to avoid installing either mod if you want to remain competitive online.

Am I correct in this assumption or am I totally off base here?

I see what your saying but who cares?

from my experience the multiplayer in shift was abysmal .. laggy and really bad drivers ... mostly the lag though

I used to be really hardcore into first person shooters.... but I've nver played a racing game online that had good multiplayer

actually right now I'm playing iRacing for the first month..... aside from some blinking racers its generally very good... but any game that doesn't have solid dedicated servers is going to suck... especially a racing game

it will be interesting to see how gran turismo 5 is online... i'm hopeful from my experience with MAG online on psx was pretty good.

The only thing that has me hesitant about installing either the Overhaul or Sharp mods, is that you have to assume the majority of players who race online in this game are NOT using either mod. Therefore, that being the case, if they are playing Shift with the stock physics, they are going to have an unfair advantage in both speed and grip around the track.

Basically the point I'm making is, arcade physics are faster than pure sim physics in a game like this, so it would be smart to avoid installing either mod if you want to remain competitive online.

You could do two seperate installs. One left original for online and one modded like crazy for yourself.

I don't even think you could play online with a mod on. Then again, that was through experiences in dediserver-based FPS games.