Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrustmaster TX first impressions

3 posts in this topic

After using a Fanatec setup, with a CSR wheel and Clubsport v2 pedals I wanted to change to something that I could use with my xbox one as I was getting frustrated playing Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2 with a pad.

I decided to go with the Thrustmaster TX after reading numerous reviews and I noticed that Dabs had a good deal (£219.99) so I sold the Fanatec gear and placed my order.  I knew the standard 458 rim would be an issue for me as I am used to the chunky high quality of the CSR so I ordered the GTE Wheel Add-On to go with it (£89.99).

Wheel rim - Upon opening the box, the first thing to greet you will be the 458 rim itself, and pulling it out of the box, the first thing I noticed was the weight of the rim, or lack of it, and after taking it out of the plastic, and holding the grips it really does feel like it's taken from a toddlers toy, so I put that to one side and moved on to the base.  

Base - The base is a hefty one, again compared to the CSR, it feels solid and you quickly know where your money has gone. It has a permanent USB cable, which could be a little longer, you may need to use a USB extension cable if your PC\xbox one is a distance away from your rig.  The power cable is just that, a cable, the power supply lives inside the base, the power cable is nice an long enough so no worries there.

Pedals - Well, I had a set of Fanatec Clubsport v2's which cost the same as this entire set up so I was obviously a little let down; HOWEVER, you should know what you're getting at this price, and they do the job just fine, the pedals feel comfortable on my feet and I love that fat brake pedal; I will be upgrading to the T3PA pedals but for the time being I can manage.

Set-up - I use a Wheelstand Pro, the same one for the past 3 years and it's still going strong, the TX has 2 hard mounting points which I used no issues with my current wheel stand.  If you're using a desk, the usual Thrustmaster u-clamp is included; I can't comment here, but I have only heard good things about this clamp.  The pedals I had to clamp to the lower section of the wheel stand, not ideal but they don't budge so I'm happy!  Installing the firmware was simple, just download the driver from Thrustmasters website, install and run, the firmware updater tool included with the drivers is also simple to use.

Performance (PC) - So after installing the wheel and pedals I couldn't wait to give it a go on my favourite PC sim; Assetto Corsa.  After configuring the controls I started a time trial and was immediately impressed.  The first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the FFB, the CSR I am used to was no slouch but always felt notchy which removed an element of reality, not with the TX though, it really has a nice smooth feel.  I also used it in iRacing, the FFB was somewhat muted, especially when it came to the environmental effects (put down to sim).

Performance (xbox one) - Finally -  I could play Forza the way any racing game is meant to be played!  I left all settings completely standard and started a test drive.  A lot like Assetto Corsa, I was immediately impressed with the FFB and smoothness, and this time, the environmental effects were very good, the force was so strong at one point, I lost grip on the wheel, so was forced to turn the FFB down (the first time I have ever done that in any game!).  I did notice that center on the wheel was not calibrated properly, I was pulling to the left, after a quick google I found how to reset the wheels center; crisis averted.

Wheel rim (mounted) - I have to give the rim another mention, as any TX owner will confirm , the rim is a different experience when mounted, it is actually quite a nice rim, especially with the xbox as you get all the right buttons in all the right places.  It is a little small there's no getting away from that fact, it gets a bad press IMO and isn't all that bad.

GTE rim - WOW - Just wow; this rim really does make this set up, still a little small for my taste but a higher quality rim in every way compared to the 458 rim, the shifter paddles feel nicer, they give a sharp click and feel great, the rim has the same rubber finish all round, the buttons, although aren't labelled for xbox one are all easy to use, I already know which buttons do what on the xbox one so that's not an issue for me.

Final thoughts - The TX is a quality set up, pedals aside and paired with the GTE rim this has the be the best bang for your buck currently.

Been quite happy with my TX as well. Of course I am saving up for a directdrive wheel in the future :)

You may find yourself getting much better ffb with the stock rim in the long run, I sold the GTE rim as the stock just performed better though it feels like a paper toy when not attached :) Saving weight is crucial for the force feedback.

If you want to use your CSP v2 on the Xbox 1 BasherBoard has an adapter the CPX that allows you to mate the pedals to the wheel to use on console,s and PC . If I had known about this before I ordered the CSW v2 I might have bought both TX and TX 300 then be able to play on all as I have a CSR too . With just one bolt and unhooking the wires to remove the wheel and replace in about 5 min,s .If Fanatec does not come out with the Xbox 1 and PS4 wheel real soon I just might be selling a brand new CSW v2 with a F1 rim .