Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Screen size for Sim Racing

4 posts in this topic

I am, hoping people can give me their views on the best size for a single display set up for Sim racing. At present I use my existing 20” monitor for both my PC and Xbox 360 although I tend to use the Xbox360 almost exclusively for Sim racing. I now want to upgrade the monitor and was going for the largest one I could find which is a Samsung 27” LCD. However looking though all the photos it looks like people tend to use anything from 32” to 40” HD TV`s for their Sims. I could therefore keep my existing monitor to go with the PC and buy a HD projector such as a BenQ 1000+ to use for with the Xbox 360 which would give me a much larger screen size to work with. I would just like to hear what Sim Racers thoughts were on the ideal screen size?

I think the perfect answer is actually using 3 screens. Darin is running 3 x 24 inch monitors all at 1980x1080 giving him a screen nearly 72 inches wide. It is rather impressive.

I on the other hand run a 24 inch wide screen, but the keep is the distance from your eyes to the monitor. That way it has the right field of view.

I will be stepping up to triple monitors soon and would take that over the largest single screen available.

Me personally, I'd go for a 32" +

But I guess im more into console racing for the time being..

I'v setup an oButto but instead of using the LCD mount that it comes with im using my old laptop table to sit my 32" 1080p LCD on. Looks greak & im really looking forward to GT5, Im still waiting on my GT3RS V2 thou..

If your interested in seeing my rig half complete I got a small video here:

If I get a desktop PC & get into iRacing or some other computer racing sim i'll be using this for sure :D

Also plan on getting my hands on a X41 headset.

This is my first racing rig by the way :lol:

I would say that the "sweet spot" in terms of size is probably in the 32-40" range (closer to 40), because at that point you've hit "life size"... On the other hand, like Shaun said, I prefer (and use) a 3 22" screen setup, because that wider, more immersive view makes a huge impact over a single screen that's simply bigger.

Of course, if money were no object, I'd already have 3 40" screens for full scale triple screen goodness!!! :D