Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydraulic pedals, load cell pedals and potentiometers...forget about it...

14 posts in this topic

...the ultimate pedal set is using 3 servo motors, but no springs, hydraulic cylinders, whatever load cells or rubbers.

A mate with a far better technical understanding than me just mentioned that and the more I think about it the more sense it makes.

Just imagine changing the stiffness, travel or some dampening replicating a hydraulic feel conveniently with a few sliders in a driver software. Switching car profiles just by pressing a button...easy :)

Forget about crawling into confined spaces, banging your head on all sorts of gear, swearing and sweating ;)

You'd set the pedals up and after that you wouldn't have to get near them anymore...all done by mouse-clicks...

What's your opinion on that?

I believe it won't be long.

Cheers

Sounds like a great concept thirsty. Only probelm i can think of is a lot of people disliking the fact that servo motors would still only be measuring the distance of the pedal like a potentiometer. The software adjustable strength and feel would be absolutely amazing though!

Hey Thirsty what you smoke there? I am kidding - the idea is great and this wil overwhalm any other types of pedals if it is possible to be done . It can mimic real ABS - even pedal failure after crash - like brake fluid leak etc:)

HI Thristy,

I hope your friend will pursue this. I think, if you will consider what/how far the sim peripherals has come in just a couple years....W0W, I can see it happening. Not to far down the line to be honest. I think it would be quite a Neat way to have your pedals to work! I'm All For It.... :shock:

Sounds like a great concept thirsty. Only probelm i can think of is a lot of people disliking the fact that servo motors would still only be measuring the distance of the pedal like a potentiometer. The software adjustable strength and feel would be absolutely amazing though!

I actually think it shouldn't be too hard making the servo motor measuring pedal forces using some intelligent software. 

Hey Thirsty what you smoke there? I am kidding - the idea is great and this wil overwhalm any other types of pedals if it is possible to be done . It can mimic real ABS - even pedal failure after crash - like brake fluid leak etc:)

You're right, you can simulate pretty much everything much more precise than any spring/rubber set up.

HI Thristy,

I hope your friend will pursue this. I think, if you will consider what/how far the sim peripherals has come in just a couple years....W0W, I can see it happening. Not to far down the line to be honest. I think it would be quite a Neat way to have your pedals to work! I'm All For It.... :shock:

Yeah, I'd think the technology is there...just need a few smart programmers taking that on. Probably much easier to realize than VR goggles.

Cheers

Nice thought thirsty but isnt a bodnar wheel 16 nm ? To hold that with ur arms is pretty brutal but with ur legg its pretty easy to beat . My point is that u would need a pretty big servo motor to act as a brake and the cost to go with it . But i liked ur buddy,s out of the box thinking .

Greetz paul

Nice thought thirsty but isnt a bodnar wheel 16 nm ? To hold that with ur arms is pretty brutal but with ur legg its pretty easy to beat . My point is that u would need a pretty big servo motor to act as a brake and the cost to go with it . But i liked ur buddy,s out of the box thinking .

Greetz paul

You'd need reduction gear unit on the motor. Guess a worm drive motor would be able to handle that easily.

post-10260-0-32838500-1419889406_thumb.j

...the ultimate pedal set is using 3 servo motors, but no springs, hydraulic cylinders, whatever load cells or rubbers.

Lemme guess...

Your friend works for Velodyne, right? <hehehe/>

[[ Full disclaimer...

Staring at a pair of HGS10 subs (aka. Gods own subwoofer) as I write this ... one, err... two of the few AV pieces I've acquired over the decades that made me say things like "Holy <insert favorite, positive, expletive here/>" ... and not from the quantity of bass it, err... they produce ... which can be prodigious, if one needs to cook their brain (and everyone elses' brain within a mile or two) ... but from the quality of bass and, more to my liking, jaw dropping lack of harmonic distortion when doing so. They bettered my "reference" mental model for "that's friggn awesome audio" from some Snell 2Cs I fell in love with back in 1983 (and sold ... but never owned) to the HGS series (albeit wrt bottom end).

Recently re-united with Dire Straights "Private Investigations" and "Telegraph Road" (Love Over Gold) and Amanda McBroom's "Amanda" (Growing up in Hollywood Town) due to the pairing of one of these and one of these (two thumbs up, way up, btw) ]]

Although I like the idea I don't think it is so easily feasible.

First as already mentioned, a motor that can hold such strenghts is not cheap. Plus we are talking about 3 for each set. Even if you consider a reduction gear, such equipment would be rather complex and therefore, I assume, rather expensive. MOreover, current high end pedals already do the job pretty well. There are definitly things that they  do not simulate, such as the abs, but the felling you get should be pretty close to reality and you can also simulate diferente braking feelings.

Nevertheless it is na interesting concept

i like the idea but there should be some kind of pressure sensor inside the actuator case IMO if its travel based its a waste of pretty awesome technology, about the forces it depends all where the pivot point and distance from it the actuator would be, if you put the actuator atached right behind the pedal pad the force should be moreless 1:1 so you would need and actuator that can hold moreless 100-125 kg of force on pedal pad in that case, is there any hyd actuator that can support that kind of forces and little enought to setup some pedals, i dont think so, the only feature for me missing on sim pedals (hyd or load cell) is the ability to replicate powerbrake systems, for that you should need a brake booster connected to something that have to be continually sucking air :( (too much hassle, so thats why for example niels use this lead in spring previously and then the rubbers to build the feel). On other topic a throttle whith a pot and a tension configurable spring is more than enought... for clutch i would like to find a way of using this:

http://www.clutch-china.cn/images/Diaphragm1.jpg 

http://www.ramclutches.com/clutch%20u/Clutch%20U%20images/exploded_dia.jpg

with these and the tipical hydraulic setup you will have just exactly the real deal but space and too much hassle for the profit i think.

good info here on braking forces:

http://forums.finalgear.com/formula-1/brake-pedal-pressure-in-f1-cars-20572/ 

Well whoever strapped that guy in the two seater in needs firing!! Great video but I think the results are weighted somewhat to get their point across. Loose belts, no attempt to fight the G forces (longitudinal or lateral), leaning forward and letting their head hit the structure in front of them!! 

Well whoever strapped that guy in the two seater in needs firing!! Great video but I think the results are weighted somewhat to get their point across. Loose belts, no attempt to fight the G forces (longitudinal or lateral), leaning forward and letting their head hit the structure in front of them!! 

That's why you don't lip off to the guys strapping you in!