Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RSeat RS1 replacement seat

12 posts in this topic

Seems like RSeat sells bare seatless RS1 as well and it's $200 cheaper

http://rseatamerica.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=100

1) How bad is stock RS1 seat. I saw some complaints about insufficient cushioning which most fix by just stuffing some extra foam into seat cushion. Besides that, is there anything negative about stock seat. Is going replacement route worth the trouble?

2) Is that possible to find a "better" replacement seat for $200-300 shipped .

In Human Racing Player Frame Set Challenge 

Darin advocates ProCar Scat seat http://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/80-1780-51/10002/-1. Which looks almost exactly like stock RS1 seat, solid fiberglas frame, vinyl seating, except that it is wider at 19 3/4" while RS1 accepts max 17.71"

rseat-rs1-frame-only-black-05-900x900.jp

3) What seats wold fit stock rails, is that possible to mount different rails to accommodate wider seat w/o doing some serious DIY retrofitting.

And one more RS1 related question.

Would Obutto keyboard tray http://www.mainperformancepc.com/product/obutto-gaming-cockpits/obutto-ozone-gaming-cockpit/obutto-articulating-keyboard-mouse-tray/

fit on the left side of RS1, does it require any modifications like extra holes, there are some predrilled already wondering if it just fits right in.

I've had the RS1 for about two months.  The seat is a "very nice" seat and the cushioning is about like most of the others.......I added a lumbar support that fits the seat nicely from Amazon for 16.00 - and it made the seat perfect for me.

Again, it is a very nice seat, but cushions could be more supple.

There are a lot of seats out there (eg: Sparco) that have a "lot of cushioning", but the prices are pretty high - like 450.00 us and up.

The seats that have a lot of cushioning also have the sliders and will also tilt........but you cannot use the RS-1 Side Rails - they have to come off.

Good luck.

The Obutto tray would work as the RS-1 has pre-drilled holes you could use - however, IMHO, you will have to get a metal shop make you an attaching plate, but I'm sure you could make it work and it would be fine as it rotates out of the way.

Thanks a lot for feedback, really helpful. I think I'll just stick with stock seat then.

One more question, I am thinking of replacing stock legs with casters so I can move rig around if needed.

What is the thread size on these furniture screw in legs that RSeat is using, if anyone knows?

Andrew I think the screw legs are 8mm not sure since mine didn't came in the box, about the seat if you add lumbar support as Cthiggin said its ok if not is horrible pain after 35 min of playing. Im planing to add more cushion to the bottom one for extra confort on long sessions. 

Andrew I think the screw legs are 8mm not sure since mine didn't came in the box, about the seat if you add lumbar support as Cthiggin said its ok if not is horrible pain after 35 min of playing. Im planing to add more cushion to the bottom one for extra confort on long sessions. 

Thanks, confirmed with RSeat rep, the thread is M8

After looking around at different Sparco models seems like Evo III comes closest sizing wise

2014-02-27_15-35-10_0.jpg

As far as other known and recognized racing seats brands go, Recaro, Bride, they all are prohibitively expensive. Corbeau is cheaper but really big step down in quality.

But even Sparco Evo is $800+, same as RSeat RS1 itself.  I understand that you pay for all irrelevant to Sim Racing features like FIA approved shell and fire retardant fabric.

Now the question, are there any brands that are at least as good as Sparco (comfort, build quality) but do not necessarily carry FIA certification with associated killer price.

The rs1 is only €70 cheaper in Europe without the seat?

Strange as they are all sent from Bulgaria.

I'd never put them in a car but I've seen some good fake Bride seats that would suit a rig in the past on eBay.

Check my350z.com. They pop up in the classifieds on there from time to time.

In the end I opted for Corbeau FX1 Wide. While Sparco is nice, there is no way I could swallow $800 for the seat alone, doesn't matter how wonderful it is.

It comes in 3 sizes:

- Pro the smallest up to 36" waist

- Standard the medium up to 38"

- Wide the biggest one, up to 42"

I am about 38-39" and opted for Wide, although it looks like I could just as well fit into Standard. Guess a little room for growth wouldn't hurt. LOL.

The seat is super nice as far as quality goes, and much more comfortable than stock RSeat, finally my shoulders have some room to breathe.

As it is wider than max allowed 450mm, I had to slot seat rails mounting holes a bit and as a result lost the ability to bolt RSeat Buttkicker mount.

Not a biggie as Corbeau also features mounts at the bottom of the seat which can be utilized for bolting some aluminum plate with transducers, that hopefully should also provide better feedback as contacting seat directly.

For Standard and Pro, you should be able to just bolt them in w/o any modifications, except may be some spacers as they are slightly narrower in the back than stock one, Corbeau seat has tapered design, front is wider than back.

Wish I went aftermarket road from the start, stock seat esp. for well sized men is not so great.

The final result:

post-22322-0-93559900-1428888789_thumb.jpost-22322-0-21278000-1428890495_thumb.j

For Buttkickers mounting I went for 0.19" aluminum plate. You can get one precut to your dimensions at OnlinmeMetals.com https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=239&step=2&top_cat=60, I used grade 1100-H14, the cheapest and easiest to work with.

post-22322-0-44420500-1428889046_thumb.j

I think while aluminum plate is better suited for metal rig, acoustically 3/4" MDF is still the best as far as resonance control goes. While mounting to the seat added immersion, it also added annoying resonance and buzzing.

Before going to Home Depot for a piece of MDF it hit me that this very problem was solved long ago by car audio enthusiasts dealing with thin sheet metal when mounting speakers.

Of course, Dynamat! 

post-22322-0-41820800-1428889626_thumb.j

Added to the back of the plate it eliminates all the problems altogether, goodbye resonance and buzzing. 

Mounted to the bottom of the seat.

post-22322-0-35719100-1430165238_thumb.j

post-22322-0-28903200-1428889753_thumb.j

I have also added some rubberized washers between plate and the seat and seat and side mountings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E28C54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

31VJZBRDFPL.jpg

The are thin and dense enough to still transmit vibration but kill harmonic resonance.

Comparing to OEM Buttkickers mounting the immersion went up a ton, plate mounted to the seat transmits very subtle vibration details, I can literally feel tires scrubbing the tarmac when skidding around the corner. With stock mount only the strongest effects, like rumble strip or big bumps were present. Plus for whatever reason with stock mount Buttkickers were bottoming out a lot on bumps, now, perhaps because of more play in aluminum plate, it doesn't happen. 

Hopefully this info could help someone looking into RSeat RS1 seat replacement or facing nasty resonance issues with their rigs.

Update:

In the end I didn't like the flex in stock side mounts and replaced them with Planted Universal Side mounts

41IFrW0-zAL.jpg

They have slotted mounting holes, flexible enough to accommodate seat of any size, use thicker material, no flex or play of any sort. They can also bolt at angle (narrower on one end and wider on the other) so tapered seat of Corbeau FX1 bolted right in w/o need for any washers at narrower back.

If you plan on using seat same width as sliders mounting holes you probably want to get their offset version.

post-22322-0-08925800-1430165635_thumb.j

I had to relocate shifter mount to the base, but I think in the end just benefited from it, as while height essentialy the same, shifter position got more ergonomic and it gain more stability than dangling on flexy stock side mount.

post-22322-0-34083800-1430165816_thumb.j

On 1/16/2016 at 7:57 PM, drs128 said:

How did you get the seat to fit the original brackets that came wih the rig. I just ordered the seat that u have mounted.

Your best bet is to pick up aftermarket seat mounts for the best fitment.  Will be doing this with an RS1 soon with my Recaro Pole Positions that I have in storage.  Just replaced them with Recaro SPG's in my car.