The Crew - Force FeedBack Extra Tuning PC Version

17 posts in this topic

I just found this information about FFB for the PC version of The Crew by one of the devs;

I haven't looked at this yet closely, but I though I shared it with you guys; maybe we can make some improvements...

WHEEL GUIDE - Force FeedBack Extra Tuning PC Version

The Force FeedBack is mainly computed from the Torque Alignment from Physics.
This guide is meant for wheel users on PC that are looking for extra configuration settings.

The Crew Team

Editing

In ‘my Documents\The Crew’ folder, edit or create file ExtraConfig.xml.

Between the <ExtracConfig /> XML tag

add those lines

FFB_Factor="1.5f"
FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.5f"
FFB_LatFactor="1.0f"
FFB_SlipAngleFactor="2.0f"
FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"
FFB_CamberOffset="2.5f"
FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"
FFB_DamperMaxRollVal="0.1f"
FFB_DamperMaxSlipAngle="0.25f"
FFB_WaitRate="5"
FFB_SpringNoControl="0.25f"

If the file was empty it should look like this

<ExtraConfig
FFB_Factor="1.5f"

FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.5f"

FFB_LatFactor="1.0f"

FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"
FFB_CamberOffset="2.5f"

FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"

FFB_WaitRate="1"
/>

Explanations

FFB is computed from the tire physics, the tire physics compute 4 things,
Lateral Forces
Longitudinal Forces
Vertical Forces
Torque Alignment

The FFB is mainly computed from the Torque Alignment from Physics

Sadly most consumer FFB wheel on the market are not strong enough to have a decent feeling only from this.

That’s why I added extra configuration to “increase” some components of the FFB computation.

There’s 4 components in the FFB :

Tire Load
Tire Slip Angle
Tire Camber
Static Damping

Global Params
You can tune the global gain with
FFB_Factor="1.5f" // default value is 1.5
It’s working exactly like the in game FFB Gain slider

You can configure the refresh rate with
FFB_WaitRate=”1”
Tire physics is refreshed at 300hz, so a rate of 1 will update the FFB at 300hz too, a rate of 2 with refresh at 150hz. etc..
Some FFB driver can’t handle hight refresh rate, if you experience frame rate issue with FFB wheel, increase this value to reduce the Refresh Rate.

U.I. / Cinematics / Map spring effect.
When you don’t have control of the car, a basic spring effect is applied, it’s removed when you drive. You can control the Spring force with this param.

Tire Load Config
Tire load, is how much weight there’s on the tire, the weight of the car is pushing on the tire.
Front Tire load is increasing when the car is braking, when there’s bumps, or compression from the begining of a slope, it’s decreasing when car is accelerating, when there’s holes, and it’s zero when the car is in air.
The more load on the front tire the more stronger is the FFB.

FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.5f"

Load Factor is the gain apply to FFB from the Load.
With Load Power you can change the curve of the variation
Pseudo formula

FFBLoad = FrontTireLoad * LoadFactor ^ LoadPower

Load Power may be a bit complicated to undestand, so here to example of curves

Tire Slip Angle
When the car is moving and you turn the steering wheel, you change the front tire angle and so increase the tire slip angle, which create a lateral force , and a tire torque alignment. The more you turn the wheel the stronger the FFB.

FFB_LatFactor="1.0f"

LatFactor is the gain of the FFB part from the torque alignement.
SlipAngleFactor is the factor applied to the slip angle for the FFB computation, if you increase this value the FFB will increase faster for smaller slip angle, which will make the FFB feel “tighter”.

Tire Camber
When the car is moving, if the tire lean left or right, the angle with the surface is called the camber, the more camber , the more lateral force and torque alignement and so the stronger the FFB.
Camber is symetrical between the left and right tire, means that if the left tire is leaning to the right, the right tire is leaning to the left Otherwise the car would not drive straight. So on a flat straight line, FFB from camber of left and right tire are cancels each other.
When 1 tire drive on a bump/hole, it’s change the camber on this tire, which create an asymetric value in the torque alignment between left and right tire, which create a force in the FFB.
In summary with this params you can control how much you will feel bumps and holes.

FFB_CamberOffset="2.5f"
FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"

Camber Offset is to add extra camber to the real value of front tire.
Camber Factor is the gain of this extra camber.

Tire Damper

The whole steering components from tire , steering rack , and steering shaft, have frictions and damping. With this params you can control that.
Damping is a force that acting against the motion on the steering wheel. So if you turn slowly the wheel to the left you will have a slow FFB force to the right, If you turn fast to the left, the FFB will give a stronger force to the right.
There’s 2 damping force, static damping, and rolling damping.

FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"

Damper Factor is the gain of this params.

DamperMaxRoll is the max wheel rotatation in rad/s at which the static damping is minimum.
DamperMaxRollVal is the value of the damping when wheel is rolling.

DamperMaxSlipAngle is the slip angle value at wich the damping is zero.

Samples

High Torque Wheels
Default params give too much FFB on dirt because of the bumps.
Here a base for them ( I have a RFR High Torque Custom Wheel 14Nm )

LoadPower is set to 1 to have pure linear FFB
Camber effect is greatly reduced
LatFactor is increased.

<ExtraConfig
FFB_Factor="1.5f"
FFB_LoadFactor="1.0f"
FFB_LoadPower="1.0f"
FFB_CamberFactor="0.1f"
FFB_CamberOffset="0.5f"
FFB_LatFactor="2.0f"
FFB_DamperFactor="0.2f"
FFB_DamperMaxRoll="1.0f"
FFB_WaitRate="5"
/>

Sounds great.  I don't know how to create or edit an .xml file.  I do not have an ExtraConfig.xml file in my Crew folder.  Could you please upload the a file so I can just download it and put it in that folder?

Thank you.

Sounds great.  I don't know how to create or edit an .xml file.  I do not have an ExtraConfig.xml file in my Crew folder.  Could you please upload the a file so I can just download it and put it in that folder?

Thank you.

Mate, as I said earlier in my topic, I did not yet taken the time to look in to it myself; I found this on THE CREW Forums as a sticky and though it would be interesting.

About editing an .xml file, I'm not a PC wizard too, but maybe you can take a look at this;

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/xmlfile.htm

Good luck - and let us know how you go!  ;)

Mate, as I said earlier in my topic, I did not yet taken the time to look in to it myself; I found this on THE CREW Forums as a sticky and though it would be interesting.

About editing an .xml file, I'm not a PC wizard too, but maybe you can take a look at this;

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/f/xmlfile.htm

Good luck - and let us know how you go!  ;)

Your topic made me think again about buying The Crew. Can you please share your personal experience after playing with all these settings ? Can this game get close to a racing simulator ? 

Your topic made me think again about buying The Crew. Can you please share your personal experience after playing with all these settings ? Can this game get close to a racing simulator ? 

:)  No. The Crew is not close to a racing simulator.

But with the above settings I can say you can compare the driving with The Dirt (especially Dirt 2)- and Grid series

and imo its even better. And I have lots of fun with it, more then I ever had with racing simulators; With The Crew I've

got everything I wished for: Everything is there: racing on highways, circuits, Dirt races on snow, mud, deserts...

The story mode is nice, the missions are exciting and in some cases, a challenge to drive with a wheel!

I like driving long periods of time over asphalt and dirt, and again, The Crew is offering me both; You are able to make

long drives (more then an hour and even longer!) through some incredible beautiful landscapes!  :grin:

I'm looking forward to that landscape driving to be honest ... I'm afraid the handling and ffb of the cars will lower the overall experince ... Are cars on ice when you start from stop ? (same as in all NFS series except shift2 maybe)

The Crew didn't disappoint me at all: The cars don't feel 'on ice' at all and the handling and FF is very good!

I have read a lot of negative stuff from people who did The Crew beta, but I play The Crew for a week by now

and, again, enjoy every minute! Buy it and check it yourself!  :wink:

I am also enjoying it. It is very different to a sim and it is very fun just cruising around and doing silly handbrake turns. It reminds me of the old need for speed carbon game and also burnout paradise which were fun games. 

The Crew didn't disappoint me at all: The cars don't feel 'on ice' at all and the handling and FF is very good!

I have read a lot of negative stuff from people who did The Crew beta, but I play The Crew for a week by now

Is there a tweak I can make to the extra config that will give me more indication of the front tires loosing grip ? The wheel getting lighter on understeer would be very nice. I have messed with the settings and can not make it happen. 

I'm very sorry to say, but can't help you there: I use the basic Extra Config xml. file as you can DL from the forums, without any modifications and not having any problems with it.

I do however understand by statements from the Devs that created The Crew, you can change the Extra Config xml. file settings; some wheel brands needs higher or lower settings as I can recall...

I think the only way to go, looking at your problem, is trial and error...  Again, I use the CSWbase v1, CSPv2, and the CSShhifter 1.5 and have no problems...

Goodluck, sorry I haven't got a solution to help you out...

dude, the ffb for me is an absolute joke. the wheel weight is non existant, it feels like the car is floppy in my hands

dude, the ffb for me is an absolute joke. the wheel weight is non existant, it feels like the car is floppy in my hands

What wheel do you use? I use the Fanatec CSWBase (+BMW rim) so my experience is based on that wheel. Again, I have a powerful FFB and a very good controle of the car)s)...

Have you tried to change (some of) the values in the ExtraConfig.xml ?

Le 12/6/2014 à 0:59 PM, rhs a dit :

This did improve a lot on the ffb but it seems that this post is three years old, did anyone reach a decent setting using the ExtraConfig file. What wheel are you using and what in game settings have you used in parallel with the xml file.

PS: I'm using a Logitech G29.

I'll have to try these advanced settings.  I tried to use my OSW with The Crew.  I was amazed to see it was recognized and worked... but it wouldn't let me adjust the FFB in-game (like it didn't think it was a wheel, but was providing proper FFB), and I'll need to play with the FFB_WaitRate value as I saw a huge frame rate hit when playing with the OSW.

EDIT: Finally got around to trying, unfortunately the ExtraConfig.xml hasn't helped to solve my frame rate issues.  Can't get past 12 FPS at lowest visual settings when using my OSW.  Oh well.

Edited by DjFIL